DIY Wheel Refurb

CatmanV2

Did you not get the remote control? There is 12v in the driver's fusebox by the steering wheel, so personally, I'd not be using the lighter socket. I power my DAB converter from the box

C

namaste

Did you not get the remote control? There is 12v in the driver's fusebox by the steering wheel, so personally, I'd not be using the lighter socket. I power my DAB converter from the box

C

I've got nothing but a second hand solenoid off ebay and a toggle switch. I didn't buy the kit. Its the poor mans version @ approx 20 quid.

I wasn't aware of that 12v feed, I'll definitely use that then. Still need a route through the bulk head though.

CatmanV2

I've got nothing but a second hand solenoid off ebay and a toggle switch. I didn't buy the kit. Its the poor mans version @ approx 20 quid.

I wasn't aware of that 12v feed, I'll definitely use that then. Still need a route through the bulk head though.

True. Hmmm, not sure I'd want to be doing that. But I have an un-natural fear of Maserati electrics having cut my teeth on 80s Alfas :)

C

namaste

Nice work how did you do the tridents on the centre caps?

Don't know if you know, but the center caps are a thin bit of metal and the trident logo is stamped out, so its raised slightly above the rest of the cap. So after putting down the base coat, I flattened across the top of the cap using a block and 800 grit, and as the logo is raised rubbed through the base coat, through the primer, back down to the metal of the cap without marking the paint on the rest of the cap. Then I just laquered over the top. So the tridents are brushed metal, not painted.

BL330

Awesome job, well done.
You've inspired me to have a go myself as I have 4 cars all needing attention.
I'll just need to invest in a compressor and gun.

namaste

Good work, well done

Awesome job, well done.
You've inspired me to have a go myself as I have 4 cars all needing attention.
I'll just need to invest in a compressor and gun.

Its well worth it. Putting down primer and base coats is easy enough, its getting a nice flow coat on the laquer that takes practice/patience. But its very satisfying teaching yourself the trade and saving yourself some dosh for future projects. I've been restoring a Triumph Spitfire 1500 over the last couple of years and have already sprayed the chasis and engine bay myself. Doing the tub this year.

Heheh. I didn't say anything about putting it through the bulkhead though ;)

C

True. I've just bought myself a 12v remote relay off ebay for ~£5. Don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. I can contain the whole mod under the hood now.

namaste

Just a couple of pics to finish up the thread. Wheels back on after fitting some new weights.

I've also stuck on some light smoked headlight film. Not sure about it to be honest. I like the darkened headlights but it seems to have a slight yellow tint, probably the amber of the indicator having some effect.

20.jpg

21.jpg

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing work. Well done, really good job.

I'd be inclined to tint out the indicator lenses and the fogs. That slash of orange is pretty incongruous and it looks loads better toned down a bit.

namaste

Amazing work. Well done, really good job.

I'd be inclined to tint out the indicator lenses and the fogs. That slash of orange is pretty incongruous and it looks loads better toned down a bit.

Yeah if you put your finger over the amber of the indicator in the picture, the tint kind of looks alright. The tinted orange just looks wrong. Annoying they make a clear side indicator and then drop a horrible amber one at the front. I might try tinting over the indicator some more and see what thats like. Otherwise I could go for a medium tint film, but think I might risk getting pulled over for it.