Rant Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatmanV2

Persistent and aggressive use of adjectives as nouns.

Modular is not suitable for all locations.
We must accept digital is changing our lives.

Gah. I know language evolves but christ

C

RSM Masser

Persistent and aggressive use of adjectives as nouns.

Modular is not suitable for all locations.
We must accept digital is changing our lives.

Gah. I know language evolves but christ

C
Education (or lack of) and not understanding what you mean

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I personally would feel too guilty bypassing people who have been waiting in the queue before me, so I indicate and filter in at the beginning.
The Highway Code is now very clear that you are supposed to merge (in turn) at the point where the constriction takes place, not a mile beforehand when you see the sign! I think the main reason for this is that it means that the tailback is half as long this way, meaning that it is less likely to block a previous junction (like a roundabout) that it way before the constriction. But the other reason is that it removes this silly idea that if you leave your driveway in Edinburgh to travel to London, you are in some sort of ordered queue all the way down.

I used to get annoyed with some drivers blocking both carriageways in what seemed like a bloody-minded attempt to stop 'queue-jumping' (and to ensure that all vehicles arrive at their destination in the order the set off in), but now I choose to believe that what they are doing is helpfully forcing both lanes to fill up behind them, so that once they have passed through the constriction, there will be an orderly two-lane, merge-in-turn process in place after that.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
When you are driving at about 45-50 mph on a country A road, and you see a Maserati arriving briskly in your rear-view mirror, which of the following are appropriate?
  • speed up a little until the gap between you and the car in front of you is exactly three car-lengths, making it impossible for the Maserati to pass just you, and challenging for the Maserati to pass both you and the car in front in one go
  • slow down to about 35, to make it 'easier' for the 400hp supercar behind you to overtake if a suitable place appears sometime in the next 10 miles
  • speed up to about 65, to avoid delaying the 400hp supercar behind you, that is clearly planning on just following you through that brief overtaking window coming up in 100 yards
  • put your left indicator on, to suggest either that you are about to slow down and turn (possibly left, possibly right), or that you have judged that this is the right moment to tell the Maserati behind you to overtake (over a blind crest)
  • move over to the crown of the road, so you can better see when it will be the right moment to put your left indicator on
  • hope that there is a dual carriage-way with a 'merge in turn in 400 yards' sign coming up so you can straddle both lanes

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Bloody BBC this is.
'Modular has been used to build tower blocks previously.'
'As customers begin to get used to modular'

<takes deep breath>

C

OK then, failure to use the preposition 'to' in a sentence indicating some intent or other. For example: "we're going pub", rather than "we're going to the pub". I checked with my 'children'; apparently it's not uncommon. Sounds ******* stupid to me.

midlifecrisis

Time...

Where does it go?

One minute you're walking home from the night club watching the sun rise with some dirty bird under your arm (you hope!) , next minute you're worrying about your pension pot...

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
OK then, failure to use the preposition 'to' in a sentence indicating some intent or other. For example: "we're going pub", rather than "we're going to the pub". I checked with my 'children'; apparently it's not uncommon. Sounds ******* stupid to me.

Sounds Cornish to me.

Scaf

Drivers behaving like sheep and blocking the road !

Driving to North London today I had to go through temp traffic lights, traffic coming towards me was deliberately coming through the lights even though they could see they would not get through before hitting traffic - result being we had to wait, merrily watching the lights go from Red through to Geen and back x3 without moving at all - :mad:

Wack61

When you are driving at about 45-50 mph on a country A road, and you see a Maserati arriving briskly in your rear-view mirror, which of the following are appropriate?
  • speed up a little until the gap between you and the car in front of you is exactly three car-lengths, making it impossible for the Maserati to pass just you, and challenging for the Maserati to pass both you and the car in front in one go
  • slow down to about 35, to make it 'easier' for the 400hp supercar behind you to overtake if a suitable place appears sometime in the next 10 miles
  • speed up to about 65, to avoid delaying the 400hp supercar behind you, that is clearly planning on just following you through that brief overtaking window coming up in 100 yards
  • put your left indicator on, to suggest either that you are about to slow down and turn (possibly left, possibly right), or that you have judged that this is the right moment to tell the Maserati behind you to overtake (over a blind crest)
  • move over to the crown of the road, so you can better see when it will be the right moment to put your left indicator on
  • hope that there is a dual carriage-way with a 'merge in turn in 400 yards' sign coming up so you can straddle both lanes

You forgot record the overtake and put it on youtube with you shouting dashcam dashcam you wannnkkkaaahhhh

That seems to be the new rule if you get overtaken

GeoffCapes

Your memory. I haven't filled out my mileage since the end of last March! :(
FFS how am I going to remember where I've been for business in the last 12 month, I can barely remember what I had for my dinner last night!

lifes2short

Your memory. I haven't filled out my mileage since the end of last March! :(
FFS how am I going to remember where I've been for business in the last 12 month, I can barely remember what I had for my dinner last night!

yup, its worrying, my memory seems to be like a sieve these days, keep forgetting where I've put stuff, drives me potty:as001 (2):

Junior Schools!

The latest set of edicts from the head teacher of a local school who is trying to join OFSTED:-
Children are not allowed to play ball in the yard at break time in case of injury. A concession is they are allowed to play ball on Wednesdays
An eight year old is not allowed to be accompanied home by his 12 year old sister as she is not deemed responsible enough. What about going to school you ask?
The school are only responsible for children when they enter the school gates
Why are schools around here surrounded by a 10 foot high pointed metal fence ?
Why do parents roll up around 2pm in their cars to collect the little darlings, park in the limited car park space and all others block up side roads (ignoring yellow lines) and form a queue on the entry road to turn into the car park and block the main arterial road for about 30 minutes every god **** day?
When did schools get the power to fine parents for taking children out of school to go on holiday? The fines are often cheaper than the increased holiday tariff levied by holiday companies
School children on strike!

When did schools get these powers?

rockits

I feel you pain, I remember being on an extended holiday in the US a few years back, told my bank I was off for 3 weeks yet as soon as I paid for lunch on arrival they shut down credit card, tried debit and they shut that. No amount of telephone calls would resolve the matter, thank fully my wife had acted it card with her. We called first to make sure that did not get shut down as well.
My new bank are much more helpful ;)
What bank was that btw Sam?

Scaf

Tesco was the useless one, reverted to using my old Lloyd’s account and have been with Lloyd’s private banking ever since.

Now whatever issue I have it’s one call to a direct line and a named person allocated to my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.