Bumper worn where boot shuts

MrMickS

I've noticed from when I got the car that there is a line where the boot lid hits the bumper that has marked and doesn't want to polish out.

c9ab954484d88bb4b9e225c091088ae8.jpg

It feels rough to the touch and now seems to have worn through the paint to the underlying plastic in places (see picture). Has anyone else seen this? Is it just 'wear and tear' or a poorly fitting panel that's causing damage to the car?

When I get back over to the MD for the SatNav I'll ask them about it. Just wondered if anyone else had seen the same.

highlander

I would guess either a misaligned boot mechanism or bumper. If boot is sitting low to the wings it will be the locking mechanism but if it is flush with wings then it will be the bumper set too high. Guessing this will still be covered by warranty given your car is 2015. I would be looking for a fix and respray, not a touch up.

P R

Mine has a much thinner line than yours. Still there though

Attachments

• 20170415_125054.jpg
    20170415_125054.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 68

P R

I haven't tried to polish it out though but I would guess it wouldn't

rs48635

Had this on my QPV - fixed as part of (insurance) repair when bumper was replaced. See if the bump stops can be wound up higher, might stop further damage.

safrane

I would be more worried about the damge to the boot's leading edge... plastic bumpers don't rust.

P R

Yes can't say it bothers me too much. Don't think I'd want a 're painted bumper. Boot edge looks fine on mine

Wack61

If you can't see it with the boot shut I'd live with it , if they paint the bumper and you can notice even a slight colour difference it'll annoy the he'll out of you that you didn't leave it alone

keith

The ocd in me forced me to just go and check my car! Although I have the electric boot open/close function which might make a difference, there is quite a pronounced gap between the edge of the lid and the top of the bumper. Also when the boot closes electrically it drops shut and then seems to be pulled down to the latch.
As I said I think adjusting the stoppers may help.

MrMickS

If you can't see it with the boot shut I'd live with it , if they paint the bumper and you can notice even a slight colour difference it'll annoy the he'll out of you that you didn't leave it alone

As long as its not going to impact the boot lid itself I'll probably leave it. I'd like them to stop it getting worse though if possible. As Peter has said the plastic bumper won't rust :)