US 2018 refresh rumours

MrMickS

There is a thread in another place about a 2018 refresh to the Ghibli, there have been some mules spotted in camouflage as well.

MY18 Ghibli Lineup:
• Ghibli, Ghibli GranLusso, Ghibli GranSport
• Ghibli S, Ghibli S GranLusso, Ghibli S GranSport
• Ghibli SQ4, Ghibli SQ4 GranLusso, Ghibli SQ4 GranSport

New standard equipment:
• Engine Power Upgrade on all S Models – 404hp to 424 HP
• Premium Package (Blind Spot Assist, F/R parking sensors, remote start) now standard on all models
• GranLusso and GranSport Models for all HP levels
• New Front/Rear Bumpers
• GranLusso and GranSport models include specific bumpers
• New front grill with chrome ribs
• Electric Power Steering
• Electrically-lockable glove box

New Optional Equipment:
• Soft Close Doors
• Fully Adaptive Matrix LED Headlights
• New Driver Assistance Features available in Driver Assistance Package:
• Active Blind Spot
• Active Lane Keeping Assist
• Highway Assist
• Traffic Sign Assist
• Black Package

Obviously we won't be getting the SQ4 because its far too difficult to put 4WD on a RHD car. Even though they've managed for the Levante and Alfa seem to have managed it too.

Two points that jump out here for me are the confirmation that GranSport is now just a trim level rather than a car :(

The fact that the problematic hydraulic steering system on the Ghibli has been dropped in favour of an electric one. I've seen reports of people on their 4th steering rack in the first 10k miles. Given the effort required to change these its going to be a major drain, even if just on paper, on Maserati's profits.

P R

I hadn't seen anything about steering racks. Are they a known problem? Mates Audi A6 allroad is in for one now and that's going to cost him over £2k for a new one... gulp!

MrMickS

According to the chap that's on his 4th Maserati have admitted to a design fault in the steering system. I'm trying to get more details out of him as its very relevant to me. I'll share when/if I get anything.

Its interesting that they are switching to an electric system though.

conaero

Forum Owner
According to the chap that's on his 4th Maserati have admitted to a design fault in the steering system. I'm trying to get more details out of him as its very relevant to me. I'll share when/if I get anything.

Its interesting that they are switching to an electric system though.

The Ghibli S needs the Alfa QV engine or I fear it will loose out to its cousin.

GranSport now a trim level, thats very poor and another marketing banana skin IMHO.

On the positive side, now having seen and sat in the QV at Horsham, the Ghibli is a far better looking and finished car than the Alfa.

MrMickS

The Ghibli S needs the Alfa QV engine or I fear it will loose out to its cousin.

In theory yes. I'd like to see the power curves of both engines first though. Even with the same engine the Ghibli is going to be slower to 60 than the QV, it weighs half a tonne more, so it will always lose out there. So does it really matter, especially with the market the Ghibli is aimed at?

I'd rather see a Ghibli GTS with the V8 out of the QP squeezed in somehow. That would be a real differentiation and the extra power and torque from the V8 might give it a chance of getting near to the QV numbers wise.

conaero

Forum Owner
I'd rather see a Ghibli GTS with the V8 out of the QP squeezed in somehow. That would be a real differentiation and the extra power and torque from the V8 might give it a chance of getting near to the QV numbers wise.

If they did that, then I would buy one, that engine is the Cali engine or the QV engine with 2 cylinders added....which ever way you want to look at it.

MAF drove the QP with that engine and was astonished how fast it was in a barge so large...something like 4.2 to 60 in a 2 tonne plus car.

But I fear that the Ghibli will always be a V6.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
On the positive side, now having seen and sat in the QV at Horsham, the Ghibli is a far better looking and finished car than the Alfa.

Yes, it was disappointing from an interior trim level. That plastic looked and felt cheap, and will be ragged in no time at all.

outrun

Sounds just like your usual mid-life span update. Nothing exciting, just a bunch of electronics that should have been there in the first place and some marketing overuse of brand assets with trim levels, which they did with the QP a year or so ago. More yawn. I still like mine though and would buy another, in fact when the diesels hit 20k I reckon i'll buy one for my daily driver. Given the depreciation which looks around 1k per month, that will be in 6-8 months from now.