Lawnmowers

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Ewan - my Hayter has lasted years with no love or care at all and still does a reasonable job.

Although I still don't see what's wrong with the goat idea.

Keano

Cylinder Mower is for Lawn zealots who play cricket at weekend and given you have had a Flymo to date i dont see you in the Cylinder mower category. Honda are great mowers but expensive so if you take a different approach and go for one with a Briggs & Stratton or Honda engine you will be in good shape. My local Screwfix had an offer on a few weeks back when i was i there and if you have one nearby its worth a look as they had a nice one with a Honda engine. http://www.screwfix.com/c/outdoor-gardening/lawn-mowers/cat840622

zagatoes30

If the issue with your lawn is that the rotary hover is ripping up the grass a rotary petrol won't help. Cylinder mowers are a lot gentler on the grass hence why one is being recommended.

You can't go wrong with a properly serviced Suffolk

CatmanV2

While it is a Flymo, its not a hover, but I think you're right, Dave. If I buy a £50 Suffolk and it doesn't solve the issue, I think we can be pretty sure it's not the mower and I've only lost £50. Which I'd rather do than spend £150+ and not solve the issue.

I quite fancy a game of cricket, but Keano does make a valid point :)

C

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
C, you can get new blades for Flymos or just sharpen the one that's in if its not too f*cked. I have a Flymo for the grass on the side of the lane and it cuts really well and the grass is great. I mean, ffs, it's a lawn mower not the cutting edge of technology and if you can't get one to cut grass you need a baseball bat inserted. Thick end first.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I also have a an old Webb 'ride on' and that thing is awesome. To adjust the blades, you fold a piece of newspaper in half and put it between the cylinder and shoe. Adjust the cylinder until the blades cut the top piece of paper and shave the bottom piece. It really is that fine. On the lowest setting, it makes a test pitch at the Oval look like a jungle clearing compared to my garden. It cost me £25 when I bought the house 17 years ago.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
If you can live with a rotary petrol (not cylinder) and no roller, then I can recommend this, which I bought for 90 quid a couple of years ago and love it. Starts second time every time.
Hyundai HYM40P Petrol Powered Push Rotary Lawnmower

Dan!

For the house I live in I have an old Mountfield with a Honda engine. It was bought 2nd hand for 20 quid about 9 years ago and sharpen up the blade each year with an angle grinder.
For the house I merely pay for, the gardener has a rather nice lookin ride on.
The quality of the cut and well being of the grass is the same at both places.

allandwf

4 pages on lawnmowers! lol. When I had grass I had something with a Honda engine, always started.

midlifecrisis

My present oone is a Bosch rotary electric jobbie, but I also have a scarifier for the ends of the cutting year. That's the secret to a good lawn.

Wack61

I've got 3 petrol lawnmowers, they're all a pain in the **** so I went down to toolstation and bought a 40V battery one, It's wife friendly, comes with 2 batteries and a charger for £199, one battery does both of my normal sized lawns.

I've got 2 dogs so a bowling green lawn isn't my priority but I'm impressed with it, cut isn't the widest but more exercise at my age isn't a bad thing

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36634?table=no

The same lawnmower with one battery is the same price which is a bit odd as they're £80 each

Slowly

I've got 3 petrol lawnmowers, they're all a pain in the **** so I went down to toolstation and bought a 40V battery one, It's wife friendly.....

How is it wife friendly? Does it have a Rabbit attachment? The mind boggles.

Looking on YouTube there is a whole world of lawnmower videos I'd never dreamed of. This "review" is fantastic - nearly 4 minutes of someone cutting a lawn with a commentary as informative as Dawn Butler telling Eddie Mair about Labour's policies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5LETMiDgBg and the (shorter version of) D B's interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-39659304/labour-mp-struggles-through-interview The whole interview is nearly 7 minutes long but there isn't much more in it.

Right, our Honda petrol mower is dying after 18 years of trouble free service and I've taken the SM forum advice and ordered the wife friendly one - now to tell her; she's been bugging me about a new mower so it should make her happy even before it has arrived.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I've got 3 petrol lawnmowers, they're all a pain in the **** so I went down to toolstation and bought a 40V battery one, It's wife friendly, comes with 2 batteries and a charger for £199, one battery does both of my normal sized lawns.

I've got 2 dogs so a bowling green lawn isn't my priority but I'm impressed with it, cut isn't the widest but more exercise at my age isn't a bad thing

The same lawnmower with one battery is the same price which is a bit odd as they're £80 each

I'm sorry, but your childlike excitement of all things electric is amusing but not educational. I understand your juvenile attraction of things you probably don't understand but electricity should only be used to start lawn mowers, not run the f*ckers. Otto had the right idea and you should go with him. Hydro carbons rule, not elec-trickery so buck up and get with the programme, you maggot!

Contigo

Sponsor
I'm sorry, but your childlike excitement of all things electric is amusing but not educational. I understand your juvenile attraction oto things you probably don't understand but electricity should only be used to start lawn mowers, not run the f*ckers. Otto had the right idea and you should go with him. Hydro carbons rule, not elec-trickery so Buck up and get with the programme, you maggot!

5 minutes later.........

alcohol-drunk-orig.jpg

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
For the house I live in I have an old Mountfield with a Honda engine. It was bought 2nd hand for 20 quid about 9 years ago and sharpen up the blade each year with an angle grinder.
For the house merely pay for, the gardener has a rather nice lookin ride on.
The quality of the cut and well being of the grass is the same at both places.

I thought you said the gardener had a nice looking strap-on (which explains a lot about a Lotus driver). ;D