Levante S launch

Marco07

Evening all, I've just returned from a very pleasant and swish evening as a guest of Maserati. Wonderful venue behind Carnaby Street with delicious Italian food cooked by Francesco Mazzei and cocktails of the highest calibre. However, much to my surprise they unveiled the new Levante S which has the 430bhp 3.0 V6 Biturbo PETROL engine. Much more like it. I don't think any of the other SUV manufacturers offer a petrol version so I see this as a big plus for them.

I knew that the petrol varient was available in the US and possibly in some parts of Europe t had been told we weren't getting it in the UK. Was this a complete surprise or have I missed the gossip?

Attachments

• IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 102

Marco07

I realise that I've posted this in the wrong place but don't have sufficient brain cells to work out how to move it. Sorry if this causes work for the administrators.

bigbob

Yep re the paddles - can't believe they are an option with Maser given they are standard on many other brands.

I had a diesel Levante recently for a few days and it was very impressive, the air suspension made it ride/handle well for its size and 21" wheels.

Marco07

I agree about the paddles. I use mine all the time on my QP and my Merc ML350. Mainly just for engine braking on the SUV but for general driving on the QP when I'm out for some fun. Not on the motorway of course.

I'm looking forward to taking the petrol Levante for a test drive in a few weeks so will report back.

MrMickS

Looks good and about time. Quite a few other SUV makers do offer petrol versions, over here in the UK we appear to just like to by them powered by the Devil's fuel ;)

bigbob

Re paddles, I'm sure they did their market research.

Indeed and came to the opposite conclusion to everyone else...very Maserati.

Mind with the three cars with the 8 speed auto they have reverted to the same gearbox methodology that the 4.2 QP and GT have in that it still kicks down in manual mode. They fixed that with the 4.7 engined previous cars but have now seemed to manage to mess it up again. In that context paddles are less relevant as manual mode is not what it says. Mind if Land Rover can make my fat, slow Disco drive manually with paddles without kick down then you would think Maserati could and should.

StuartW

That is good news and it should open up the market considerably. I look forward to checking one out

spkennyuk

The UK government change on stance regarding diesel has possibly influenced their decision to offer a petrol version for the UK market.

Marco07

The UK government change on stance regarding diesel has possibly influenced their decision to offer a petrol version for the UK market.
It's certainly influenced my interest in buying one! I'm going to sell my Mercedes ML350 filth belcher and buy a Levante S. I had been holding on until Jaguar brought out their rumoured 5.0 litre estate sport thing but the Maser will be much better as a daily user. I need something big to tow my car trailer when I take old cars to various rallies here and abroad. The Levante S can haul 2,700kg apparently which is just enough for me.

MrMickS

Still wondering whether they will put the V8 into the Levante. I can sort of understand the reluctance to put it into the Ghibli and create a GTS, though it would be nice, there should be less with the Levante though. It would make it truly crazy, though probably as fast to 60 as the Strad which is maybe why they won't do it yet.

P R

Still wondering whether they will put the V8 into the Levante. I can sort of understand the reluctance to put it into the Ghibli and create a GTS, though it would be nice, there should be less with the Levante though. It would make it truly crazy, though probably as fast to 60 as the Strad which is maybe why they won't do it yet.

How much power has the V8 got? Im wondering if the V6 from the Giulia will find its way into any Maseratis. Not built in Maranello but chucking out 510BHP in the Giulia, and that's the first incarnation of it....

MrMickS

How much power has the V8 got? Im wondering if the V6 from the Giulia will find its way into any Maseratis. Not built in Maranello but chucking out 510BHP in the Giulia, and that's the first incarnation of it....

530 hp from the V8. Not much more than the V6, but its the same engine with two more cylinders. 710 Nm of torque so 110 more than the V6 from the Alfa.