Spyder aircon issue

Needamaser

Hi guys,
Started her up for first time since laying her up and all good. Took her out the garage to tidy up and later put her back in.
Aircon had been running fine both times but as I parked her up I pressed one of the fan speed buttons and aircon now shut down and doing nothing.
Any suggestions where to start looking or is the control unit goosed?

zagatoes30

Start with a hard reset of power, amazing how many times this resolves electrical issues on my Spyder

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Initially , I would go with Italian character. If it persists we'll go to Defcon 3.

chad5k1

Does the fan blow on any speed, sometimes as they fail it is only certain speeds - that probably points to the control panel. If the rest of the panel works, but not the fan, then it is probably the fan unit (dash out job) - either way, not ideal if it is one of them.

Needamaser

Does the fan blow on any speed, sometimes as they fail it is only certain speeds - that probably points to the control panel. If the rest of the panel works, but not the fan, then it is probably the fan unit (dash out job) - either way, not ideal if it is one of them.

Nothing works. No fan no temp indication etc.
Pressed all the buttons but totally dead.
Fuse? Where the heck would I find it in the jungle of wires under the bonnet?
It was working fine until I pressed the fan speed and everything shut down.

BL330

Fear not, it could be another case of the loose connector leading to the fan motor.
The connector is situated on the passenger side above the fuse area to the left.
I had to fiddle with mine and the fan would come back and everything would be okay.
Eventually I replaced the fan itself as I was changing the heater core and had everything out.

Needamaser

Fear not, it could be another case of the loose connector leading to the fan motor.
The connector is situated on the passenger side above the fuse area to the left.
I had to fiddle with mine and the fan would come back and everything would be okay.
Eventually I replaced the fan itself as I was changing the heater core and had everything out.
Cheers Bruce. I am good at wiggling wires to see if that sorts something! However as I have no display either would that connector cause that or simply a non working fan? I cannot select air con on or off or get a temperatures to display. The whole unit seems "dead".

chad5k1

You could remove the AC unit and make sure the wires are secure at the rear - you might be able to reach this from either side behind the carpet/dash centre console, but I can't remember.
I think the fuse number and location for the ac is listed in the owners manual - however, it might be worth removing an checking them all anyway. I always surprised to find one is blown without we realising! I seem to remember that the AC is not on it's own fuse, so you'd notice other stuff not working. But I could be wrong.

BL330

With mine I knew it wouldn't work at start up, as the interior fan would not come on. The fan speed dial would not make a difference. The air cond would still work but you had to be doing 80 mph to feel it coming through the vents.
One trip to Sydney had overnight snow along the way and no fan to blow warm air. That was fun, not!
Others have had the connector issue on here, even Matt. By the way this is if you had a 4200 Spyder, which I spot now you don't. All the best.

Needamaser

You could remove the AC unit and make sure the wires are secure at the rear - you might be able to reach this from either side behind the carpet/dash centre console, but I can't remember.
I think the fuse number and location for the ac is listed in the owners manual - however, it might be worth removing an checking them all anyway. I always surprised to find one is blown without we realising! I seem to remember that the AC is not on it's own fuse, so you'd notice other stuff not working. But I could be wrong.
Thanks Rich. Havent had a chance to look at it in last couple of days but will check. I had tried the other electrics such as lights, horn, boot and fuel flap and windows but they all seem to be ok as I suspected a fuse would affect other things too. It was just odd that it was working perfectly ok until I touched a different fan setting and it was like there was no power to the unit as display went blank as well.

Needamaser

Sounds like fuse blew when u changed the power..

Am hoping that is it as air con seems a known issue on these cars. Along with all the other electrical components! Lol
Anyway with all this scorching weather in the highlands who needs a heater!!

Needamaser

Hate electrics. Work of the devil. Give me a carb to split and clean. If wiggling wires and swearing at it doesn't work then my skills have been exhausted.
Had one stuck brake pad with sitting in the garage over winter but freed that off ok. Lidl trickle charger kept battery in a good mood so she fired up pretty much right away.

Needamaser

So who thought having to remove the glove box to access the fuse box was a good idea???

After much prising and cursing glove box off to find fuse is ok.

Starting to think it is the control unit. Are they available or likely to be from usual sources? Is this a dash out job?
TIA.

Needamaser

Anyone know if there is a relay involved and which of the many scattered around the car it is likely to be?

chad5k1

I had an AC panel that you could have tried, but someone bought it off me a few weeks ago - sorry.
They are around, but I think last time I looked Eurospares wanted £600 + !!!
Best to try and confirm it is the fault first. Have you removed the panel and unit to check the connections?