3200 manual at Justin Banks

BuckRog64

I hope to be viewing the car tomorrow. It's just what I've been waiting for. Justin is local to me and he generally prices his cars to sell. Conveniently near to Giallo for an inspection.

BuckRog64

Let us know how you get on Pete, looks like a cracking example to me.

Will do. Coincidentally I also keep tabs on Justin's stock, going back to when he traded from the South of France. He regularly has a nice mix of sensibly priced cars, although went very upmarket with a little showroom last year, and I might find out where he sources them from.

Also by coincidence I was born in Romford!

davy83

Very nice, seems cheap if the service history is perfect, and its a trade sale, I wonder if the wishbones have been inspected for cracks, and end float checked? I do wonder why anyone would sell such a lovely car, i guess it happens. Looks really nice, good colour combination too.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Spotted that the other day, if it passes an inspection it's an absolute bargain.

Ewan

Looks nice. By far the most important check is the end float. A friend with a low mileage (30k) late model manual 3200 with full service history just got a bad result on his EF when checked. The engine is now out and has been dismantled for further inspection. And the news is not good - it needs a major rebuild, and as many will know, lots of the required parts are no longer available (meaning making stuff from scratch, finding good used bits, etc). It'll certainly be a 5 figure bill. Just as one example, a new crackshaft is £4K plus Vat from Maserati (but is currently unavailable...).

As Marios said only a week or two back, keeping these on the road is getting harder and harder, both in physical terms and financial justifiability. It is the end-float problem that often kills these manual 3200's as the potential fix can be the same as the full value of the car. It makes issues such as the throttle body or wishbones look like child's play.

Almichie

Looks nice. By far the most important check is the end float. A friend with a low mileage (30k) late model manual 3200 with full service history just got a bad result on his EF when checked. The engine is now out and has been dismantled for further inspection. And the news is not good - it needs a major rebuild, and as many will know, lots of the required parts are no longer available (meaning making stuff from scratch, finding good used bits, etc). It'll certainly be a 5 figure bill. Just as one example, a new crackshaft is £4K plus Vat from Maserati (but is currently unavailable...).

As Marios said only a week or two back, keeping these on the road is getting harder and harder, both in physical terms and financial justifiability. It is the end-float problem that often kills these manual 3200's as the potential fix can be the same as the full value of the car. It makes issues such as the throttle body or wishbones look like child's play.

It's really bizarre when you compare these cars to the other Italians of this era; these are becoming even more rare, more people actually appreciate the mark and yet the prices are oddly low compared to the high running costs (far higher than the 4200 and GS). They're becoming collectible and still the residuals are much lower than you'd expect. I don't get it...

BuckRog64

I think Justin must have been an Estate Agent in a previous career and I'm glad I didn't travel far to view! Expectations set high by description in ad. In summary;

- Car looked honest and straight, lovely colours, red key and sought after spare wheel, but wet so couldn't assess bodywork and alloys curbed.
- Lots of paperwork but evidenced only a partial service history.
- In storage last 3 years so needs immediate full belt service + whatever a professional inspection revealed + throttle body and/or pedal pot + recommissioning issues arising once used.
- Leather to steering wheel, dash and pillars all lifted and drivers seat a bit tired but otherwise a nice interior.

Still sound a bargain? Probably a good buy for someone that can do at least some of the work themselves but, given value limited by patchy service history, doesn't stack up for me. I also know these cars need to be driven to behave and fear the length of storage could prove problematic. I'd still buy it though if a deal could be done but unfortunately for me that's very unlikely. I think someone will fall in love with her.

2b1ask1

Special case
That's not as I would expect from him which is disappointing to say the least.

allandwf

It's really bizarre when you compare these cars to the other Italians of this era; these are becoming even more rare, more people actually appreciate the mark and yet the prices are oddly low compared to the high running costs (far higher than the 4200 and GS). They're becoming collectible and still the residuals are much lower than you'd expect. I don't get it...

Pricing accordingly! ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-02-M...AUTO-CHOICE-OF-7-3200S-PLS-CALL-/232379333471