QP VI 3L or Ghibli diesel

jemgee

I am sort of homing in on the seemingly rare second hand v6 petrol engined QP. Does anyone have experience with this engine and any issues?

MrMickS

I am sort of homing in on the seemingly rare second hand v6 petrol engined QP. Does anyone have experience with this engine and any issues?

The V6 is the same as the Ghibli S I believe. I've not had any issues with the engine. It makes a nice noise, especially in Sport, and hustles the Ghibli along nicely.

jemgee

Thanks for that. I read up on it in Wiki and Chrysler USA cast the engine blocks and ship them to Ferrari in Modena for assembly.

I think you are right about it also being in the Ghibli S so will look out for one with skyhook.

QPVIS

I purchased probably the most fully loaded V6 S in the country last year. Met Black/Black, CarbonDash, Rear TVs, Picnic tables, 21" Titanio grey Alloys and ofcourse Bowers Sound etc, etc. I bought it from the same dealer that services my Ferrari and got a great deal. Looked at the GTS first but just enjoyed this example a little more. The real pleasure is the smooth engine. With sport mode on you are flying!!! I am really impressed with the build quality and the car has great street cred. They are rare and hence command respect and those in the know, know, and Appreciate it's hugh presence. Avoid the diesel as fake exhaust note thru the stereo is pretty obvious after a while and at cold start really sounds very Black Taxi Cab like. The petrol's are also holding a bit better residual and will put a bigger smile on your face. Get the right spec and pull the trigger you wont be disappointed.... All the best

image.jpg

MAF260

New Ghiblis and QPs are all about spec IMO. I recently owned a very high spec diesel Ghibli for c.2yrs and drove many of the similar models during that time from QPs to Ghibli S to the new Levante.

My first view is that none of these cars can really be conceived as a toy; they're too mass manufactured and generic. I loved my Ghibli as a daily because I have a GS for fun. As I've now sold it I can reveal my Ghibli was tweaked with a tuning box which upped the power to 345bhp and torque to 696nm - Aventador territory! It was quite the weapon on the move, hard to get off the line as it spun the wheels up to 4th gear. I averaged 26mpg over my ownership, a mix of town driving and motorway (70/30)
I was underwhelmed with the Ghibli S I had for a week. Compared to the diseasel it took a lot of revs to have any drama/fun. I had a QP petrol for a few days and enjoyed it (drifting round roundabouts in Newbury with Contigo was memorable) I found the ride much less 'choppy' than my Ghibli on standard suspension - I'd say it offers a better ride. I hated the Ghibli S in Skyhook mode, just seemed so pointless and worse than the standard set up.
I was lucky enough to be given a Levante for an hour or so. Wow! That new air suspension makes for a sublime ride. It was a well-specced demo that impressed me enough to look at some serious man maths that involved getting rid of my Ghibli. Sadly the numbers just didn't work out and I couldn't justify the premium over what I was driving. Maybe I'll revisit the Levante when my RR starts bankrupting me.

As with all cars and all the sage advice on this forum - buy what you like and what you can afford. Experience of these cars is that spec really matters. My only word of warning with a new Maserati is that they will do everything in their power to not honour any warranty claim - penny-pinching retards that they are. If you're planning on any mods forget about any manufacturer's warranty.