QP VI 3L or Ghibli diesel

jemgee

Toying with changing to either from my 06 QP sport GT. Will I be disappointed or is option of a V6 petrol better

P R

Depends what you need it for? If you do loads of miles then the Ghibli diesel is great. If you don't then Id be tempted with a petrol. Why not a Ghibli petrol?

outrun

Just my kind of thread....

Unless you are doing over 20k miles per annum, buy a Ghibli petrol. The are holding value remarkably well against the diesel, with equivalent mileage and age cars around 10k more. Given that it was only 4k more to start with, that's good news. Real world mpg in the mid to upper 20s and the engine sounds proper and goes very well. Nothing at all wrong with the diesel, it's simply a false economy against the petrol unless mileage is very high.

The QP6 is a little pointless to my mind (unless it's the 3.8 GTS version) however they are actually also holding value better than the diesel Ghibli. As Mark mentioned it's just big big big and unless you need to carry 3 dead guys (a la Robert De Niro), what's the point. Besides, a ghibli in the right colour looks better too.

If you can find one in Rosso Energie, it's fabulous.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

MrMickS

Mileage is the key and what you can afford. I went with petrol even though I'm doing 20K miles a year. I'm getting mid 20s mpg wise and have a proper, non-augmented, sound.

I'm with outrun on the QP VI. It is huge and, unless you need the extra rear legroom, the only reason is to get the V8.

outrun

Sure, it comes down to affordability and reality, absolutely. However, is the affordability is there for a choice, I'd go petrol every time.

CJC

I had a facelift Ghibli Diesel for a while whilst my QP VI was in for a service. The Ghibli had large wheels which looked fabulous but the ride was very tiring. The QP VI is a much more comfortable car if you travel long distances. Yes it's huge and doesn't fit in any car park bays. However, it's easy to find in the car park as it's the car sticking out.

I prefer the comfort and presence of the QP. I found no one took any interest in the Ghibli whereas there is more appreciation of a QP.

Hopefully soon the ex demonstrator facelift QP's will hit more sensible money and I'll swap mine.

jemgee

Thanks. Its my toy and only do 5k a year so consumption is not the issue. I also have a TR6 1k a year and insurance on both is £650 a year. Lastly I have A VW CC GT on motability due for change in September 5k a year. This is used by the other half as well and finds it sticks out in car park bays. I now find it too low roof one to get in and side vis is compromised with roof and window shading esp at Y junctions. If I replace the QP I will look at a Skoda kodiaq or Vw tiguan. Other option is sell QP and buy a Macan S say 3 yr old with low mileage

bigbob

Diesel saloon and toy are not words I would associate with one another.

If you have to have a saloon (not a GT or GC?) then the advice to go petrol is sound given your mileage.

Ride quality will be largely down to wheelsize and skyhook, latter is standard on QP but optional on Ghibli.

zagatoes30

As above unless you do the miles a diesel Maserati makes little sense. However if you can make the maths work personally I would go for the QP even though it is immense.

Firstly it looks superb, much better in the flesh, in the right colour. Secondly it is much rarer, I have only actually seen two on the road and finally QPs are just so special, they are the ultimate heart over head decision which will make you so different to the rest of the sheep that go Bavarian based luxury cars.

keith

The diesel, once warmed up I stress, is probably more refined than the petrol, which is the point behind an executive car. Whilst the enormous torque makes for very impressive acceleration, and in Sport mode a nice albeit electronically assisted 'V8' exhaust note. Unless your a pure Maserati enthusiast the diesel offers more in terms of real day to day driving. Just be sure to get the Euro VI engine so as to avoid upcoming road charges.
Also if you can find a car with Skyhook it makes a big difference allowing you not to sacrifice ride and/or handling, again when set against normal driving conditions.

Ewan

The QP is more exclusive and rides better than the Ghibli, so if the size is not a problem, that's the one to have. And you're buying a luxury car, not a tractor, so it has to be petrol, not diesel. Finally, if finances allow a budget in the low fifties, you can get a GTS version - the fastest road car Maserati yet (quicker than a Strad).

alfatwo

I was at dinner on Sunday evening with an old mate of mine who works for that huge car recycling plant on the A45 just outside Daventry

The word is apparently there's going to be a government funded diesel car scrappage programme similar to 2008 in the next few months..

So maybe now's the time to get rid of those diesel's before they become worthless!

Dave

CatmanV2

I was at dinner on Sunday evening with an old mate of mine who works for that huge car recycling plant on the A45 just outside Daventry

The word is apparently there's going to be a government funded diesel car scrappage programme similar to 2008 in the next few months..

So maybe now's the time to get rid of those diesel's before they become worthless!

Dave

Looking at the cover of the paper this morning, I think it may be too late.

C

keith

Dave

It might be worth injecting some facts.
Modern Diesel engine cars are not included in this latest round of media hysteria. Reason being it produces similar levels of NOX to a petrol and LESS CO2.
Moving on from that point, contrary to the views on the wisdom of Maserati producing an SUV, the Levente, which in the U.K. is only available as a Diesel, has proved an enormous success for the company, and as a result will probably save the brand. Motor manufacturers, thanks to enormous market research and development know what they are doing far more than brand enthusiast, hence in the sector around this thread the overwhelming vast majority of sales are Diesel. As I said before their characteristics are eminently better suited to large executive cars.
Ultimately all I.C.E cars are doomed, after all an electric car like a albeit soulless Tesla can give HyperCar levels of performance, with no emissions, and an ever more usable range.
My advise with regard to the original question, try the Diesel and petrol and judge for yourself.

Ewan

"the Levente, which in the U.K. is only available as a Diesel"

You may well have missed it, but they've just announced the launch of the petrol version here in the UK. It's good that we now have the choice and hopefully it will increase sales (and profits) yet further.

Rwc13

Or not, depending on how you spec it

e3da2c95925746e1f85ae42c608cbb53.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk