paint bubble under rear light

EnzoMC

have two small paint bubble under rear light (less than 5mm) and had quotes from £400-£750 inc. the complete rear qtr repainted.... top end company I would look to choose as work looks good, its also Loz friends but didn't get any discount :(

isn't the bodywork on these aluminium if so then is this a chemical reaction and not rust ? I also heard about a steal plate on the bumper could causes issue around the light area?

to keep costs down I may look to do this myself and blend on the corner but wanted to see if any others had this issue / work done ?

if I remember Matt or someone did something similar to this with how-to / images but could not find the thread

conaero

Forum Owner
Yes, on black you will be able to blend it round the corner.

Its galvanised steel, think its the front wings that are alloy only.

This is what happened 6 months after they lead loaded it:

01.jpg

02.jpg

It was then cut out and repaired properly and the sub structure needed cutting and welding in too all that 'hamster bedding' in there is the failed sealant:

03.jpg

The blend could be seen in low, evening sun from behind only so I mop'd the blend down the panel, its perfect now:

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

EnzoMC

great thanks Matt, thats what I was looking for

take it easy to remove bumper and I'll have to remove the inner boot lining to get access to remove the lights ?

where did you get your paint / lacquer from ?

will see if the bubble I have is OK to just rust treat.

Wack61

great thanks Matt, thats what I was looking for

take it easy to remove bumper and I'll have to remove the inner boot lining to get access to remove the lights ?

where did you get your paint / lacquer from ?

will see if the bubble I have is OK to just rust treat.

I think Matt had it done at the bodyshop that painted my car, recommended by Matt , if you just treat rust you'll be doing it again, it needs cutting out and new steel welding in , I'd get a quote before attempting to DIY it might be a pleasant surprise

http://vrcvehiclerepaircentre.co.uk

allandwf

I just had bonnet, bottom drivers door, both rear arches and some laquer peel attended to. £750 all in. I had rust bubbling treated but not cut out. I will just them done again in four years or so time.

EnzoMC

I think Matt had it done at the bodyshop that painted my car, recommended by Matt , if you just treat rust you'll be doing it again, it needs cutting out and new steel welding in , I'd get a quote before attempting to DIY it might be a pleasant surprise

http://vrcvehiclerepaircentre.co.uk

thanks for the link but abit far. i've already had a few quotes, maybe look to get some quotes if i do prep work

EnzoMC

I just had bonnet, bottom drivers door, both rear arches and some laquer peel attended to. £750 all in. I had rust bubbling treated but not cut out. I will just them done again in four years or so time.

thats a lot of work and great price/deal, i was thinking about 200-300 all in for my work.

rossyl

Alan, any chance for some random reason you did that in the South East?

conaero

Forum Owner
The rear bumper is easy apart from one bit.
There are three nuts/bolts along the bumper where it meets the rear wings. In the near side it's easy but in the off side you have to remove the battery, then the amp.

If you go rough here you end up marking the rear quarters from the inde out, so be very careful!

Wack61

thanks for the link but abit far. i've already had a few quotes, maybe look to get some quotes if i do prep work

It was a 450 mile round trip for me and I'd do it again if I had anything else that needed doing , I very much doubt you'll find anyone else at that price/quality , Phil is a real perfectionist

EnzoMC

The rear bumper is easy apart from one bit.
There are three nuts/bolts along the bumper where it meets the rear wings. In the near side it's easy but in the off side you have to remove the battery, then the amp.

If you go rough here you end up marking the rear quarters from the inde out, so be very careful!

sounds easy enough.... famous last words.... :)

EnzoMC

It was a 450 mile round trip for me and I'd do it again if I had anything else that needed doing , I very much doubt you'll find anyone else at that price/quality , Phil is a real perfectionist

should have noticed your location - Cheshire - yep a lot further than me... the car is down south for a service so could pop across on the way back for a quote

Marwood

Hi Enzo,

I have only just spotted two bubbles underneath the rear lights, as you show and describe, on my GS. I swear they weren't there a month ago! If the steel's galvanised, how come? Is there a water trap there? So much for my car living a pampered life in a warm garage and only coming out when its dry...

M

Marwood

have two small paint bubble under rear light (less than 5mm) and had quotes from £400-£750 inc. the complete rear qtr repainted.... top end company I would look to choose as work looks good, its also Loz friends but didn't get any discount :(

isn't the bodywork on these aluminium if so then is this a chemical reaction and not rust ? I also heard about a steal plate on the bumper could causes issue around the light area?

to keep costs down I may look to do this myself and blend on the corner but wanted to see if any others had this issue / work done ?

if I remember Matt or someone did something similar to this with how-to / images but could not find the thread

Hi Enzo, Just found this, posted by Adam01 some years back:

UPDATE ON BUBBLE RUST UNDER THE REAR TAILIGHTS bolded above
Car is a 10/2006 build never been in an accident

Small bubbles were noticed some 6 mths ago, didn't "grow"but annoying
Leading restorer of Fezzas/Extotics removed rear light clusters and identified the problem. Note no evidence of water entering the boot area or leakages (leak tested)
Cause: Each corner had weak bronze weld joints, causing hairline cracks. Moisture then accumulated under the paint resulting in bubbling

Interesting either the dealer or factory attempted to rectify the problem (i guess thru similar reported instances) by bogging the inside of the boot area (rear light assembly) thinking there was a water leak thru the lens area - useless as the problem was from the outside.

Outcome: Yes a quick patch up could have been done but a proper (and costly) long term solution is being implemented by cutting out small offending patches, renew and respraying quarter panels

Worth keeping an eye on this area but given the nature of the problem don't know if it can be detected or even prevented