Toy to tide me over

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
One of those is on my want list.
Need a double garage though.

I was behind a 300bhp Ariel when he spun up, hit the Armco and split the Atom. Bits came off and hit my spyder, covering it with sh!te from the central reservation. Despite the fact neither of them died, I'm not a fan and I would rather spend £25K on fuel for mine.

zagatoes30

Personally I'd get a Lister Bell Stratos and keep,it.

Me too,

The idea of a load of old bent scaffolding poles strapped to a mad 4 pot with a blower and calling it a performance car is bonkers to me. I'd rather have an up market Beetle and I hate them

Team GCR

I would get an AC cobra V8. Actually was tempted not so long ago..

Trouble is even if it is a real one everyone will think it is a kit car and real ones are bonkers money now.

I've been lucky to have had the next best thing since 1991, in fact Carroll Shelby himself said a well sorted Tiger is actually a better car than a Cobra.

IMG_8827.jpg

zagatoes30

Trouble is even if it is a real one everyone will think it is a kit car and real ones are bonkers money now.

I've been lucky to have had the next best thing since 1991, in fact Carroll Shelby himself said a well sorted Tiger is actually a better car than a Cobra.

View attachment 43215

Always loved the Tiger, so much less in your face than the Cobra

GeoffCapes

View attachment 43215

I was behind a Swiss plated one on the M20 yesterday. Well I think CH is Switzerland.

D Walker

On the subject of Elises, you either get them or you don't. I bought mine 11 years ago this month. I only bought it as a cheap sporty thing as a daily driver when I didn't have much cash after coming back from travelling/backpacking.

Safe to say it's got under my skin as during the time when I had a string of exotics I never considered moving it on. And it now currently going through a £30k rebuild complete with 300bhp Honda race engine.... yes, you read that right. £30k spend on a 115,000 mile £10k car.

It's a keeper, and after applying man maths it's the cheapest way to go as quick as possible. I've modified the look in a number of ways too and now it's totally personalised. To my taste.

To most it'll just be a little plastic car. But to me it's **** near perfect.

So be careful what you buy as a cheap play thing, you may just end up loving it.

Are you taking yours to Le Mans again Dan?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I did enjoy my ownership of my S1 111s Elise of 8 years.
However a few things did get to me though, there was a loose screw/nut or something that was trapped inside one of the many chassis box sections, and it would slide and clonk when going around corners, drove me nuts.
The final one for me though, is that I noticed a slight amount of play in the steering one day. Traced it down to a loose bolt at the bottom of the steering column, holding a steering UJ onto a splined shaft...if it have come off completely...unthinkable!
I wasn't using it much due to the limitation of being a 2 seater, and the pound/euro was at near 1:1 and the Europeans were going mad for them, so sold at a premium to a French guy within 30 minutes of the advert hitting Pistonheads!....hello Maser!

TridentTested

Great car on track, horrible and crashy on our pothole ridden roads.

I'm surprised my this observation. I only test drove one once and I found, due to its super light weight, it was very supple over London's typically pot-holed streets; much better than my Alfa 156 I was driving then.

I also found the non-assisted steering and all the driver controls to be utterly beguiling. I'm always sorry I didn't buy one then. I'm too unbendy to live with one now.