1995 Ghibli for auction

Ewan

On May 20th there is a 1995 Ghibli (LHD) for auction at Historics at Brooklands. Given the year, it should be the ABS model (with various improvements such as ABS brakes and the rear diff from the 456). And it has the larger (2.8 lt) engine with greater torque, so best suited to its auto box. In fact, my first Maser was a 1995 LHD Ghibli in Black and Tan like this one and loved it.

Might make a nice cheap Maser for someone, and ideal for holiday jaunts to mainland Europe.

At the same auction is a very rare RHD MVS Venturi 200 which has undergone much recent restoration work. In France (in LHD) these go for up to EUR 50k, but here in the U.K. I suspect it'll make about £15k.

Maybe someone more techy than me can add the links.

GeoffCapes

That Venturi is lovely!

However, I think I'd be a single man if I came home with that. I've already agreed to no more cars until we move.

That Ghibli though! Gorgeous!:jpheart::jpheart::jpheart:

Contigo

Sponsor
That Venturi looks so much different than yours in Blue doesn't it Ewan? I didn't recognise it from the front at first. I'm not sure the colour does it any favours. I'd love one though, so different!

chad5k1

The '95 ABS is unlikely to have the 456 diff, I expect it will have a Ranger with the rad beneath it, very few (if any) pre "GT" Ghibli got the 456 diff. It doesn't really matter the ranger is just fine.
As for the description "These later Ghiblis benefit from wider wheel arches which gives the car a far more purposeful look and the larger 2.8 litre engine."
....errrr, I don't think so. The bodywork is essentially identical regardless of year.

The Venturi is not an attractive colour. I'd love one of the later ones :)

dickyb

On May 20th there is a 1995 Ghibli (LHD) for auction at Historics at Brooklands. Given the year, it should be the ABS model (with various improvements such as ABS brakes and the rear diff from the 456). And it has the larger (2.8 lt) engine with greater torque, so best suited to its auto box. In fact, my first Maser was a 1995 LHD Ghibli in Black and Tan like this one and loved it.

Yes its an ABS model, also known as a MY94 so too early for the 456 diff which was fitted to the GT, the giveaway is the braided fuel line in the engine bay. On a MY94 it is on the left side of the engine bay (driver's side on LHD); on a GT (which would have the 456 diff) the fuel pipe is on the right side of the car (passenger side on LHD), early GTs have a rubber pipe, later cars have a braided pipe.

That car looks to be a Japanese import judging by the headlamps and spec so is probably rust free, looks to be potentially good value.

Paul - H

Auction websites are addictive, just lost half the morning clicking away on that one

bigbob

For some reason I am looking at the Ghibli in general as a lock away fun car, not for appreciation but just to have another Maser. Do they have the same parts supply issues as the 3200?

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Parts can be a problem but Marios, McGrath's, Dave Askew and Stuart have a heck of a lot between them.

Ewan

That Venturi looks so much different than yours in Blue doesn't it Ewan? I didn't recognise it from the front at first. I'm not sure the colour does it any favours. I'd love one though, so different!

Although much of the chassis and interior is similar to mine, the body on my car is quite different (more rounded) and the engine bigger (with about 110bhp extra power). Here's mine:

Venturi front.jpgAtlantique + MCV rear.jpg

safrane

Much prefer the newer shap Ewan...looks far more 'factory' as the older car does have a hint of Kit Car.

StuartW

The first Maserati I drove was a '95 Ghibli and I've always had a soft spot for them. This one does look like it could be a nice little bargain for someone

From looking at the chassis number: ZAM336B00PB360854 and cross-referencing it on Enrico's Ghibli II register it looks more likely to be a 1997 model, it's not on the register but would slot in that timeframe for that number. So quite possibly a GT. From the cabin pic it looks like it's got the electronic adjustable suspension. Also from the headlights (as dickyb noted) it's most likely a Japanese import, so will probably have been well looked after and pretty rust-free (no salt on the roads in winter).

Mileage is quite high but these engines are certainly tough and the 2.8 under even less stress. Parts can be tricky to track down but I've found Emblem to be superb, also McGrath Maserati, one or two sellers on eBay based in Germany and Italy that seem to have a lot of new old stock parts. Enrico's Maserati pages have been really helpful with tracking parts down as well as general info, also this forum of course!

spacecadet

It has 98,000 in km, so that's only around 61,000 in miles.

I think parts are getting harder and harder to get. At least when I was looking for all the suspension bits recently there were some that was hard to track down. Engine parts are also getting rare (big end bearings not available), and clutch situation is bad too.

dickyb

From looking at the chassis number: ZAM336B00PB360854 and cross-referencing it on Enrico's Ghibli II register it looks more likely to be a 1997 model, it's not on the register but would slot in that timeframe for that number. So quite possibly a GT. From the cabin pic it looks like it's got the electronic adjustable suspension. Also from the headlights (as dickyb noted) it's most likely a Japanese import, so will probably have been well looked after and pretty rust-free (no salt on the roads in winter)

As previously mentioned, the position of the fuel pipe in the engine bay (and the presence of the ABS unit) is a clear indication that the car is a MY94 and not a GT. The chassis number also confirms this; on earlier cars there is a code for the year of manufacture, in this case the P in the chassis number equates to being manufactured in 1993, the B relates to the place of manufacture, in this case Milan. After 1994 this information was discontinued and the 2 letters were replaced by 00 so after this time it isn't possible to establish the exact year of manufacture unless you contact the factory. The prescence of electronic suspension doesnt give any indication of year of manufacture, it was introduced as an option on the 2.24v in 1989 & was standard on all versions of the Ghibli although you could specify your car without it as a no cost option if required.

The earliest GT on Enricos database has chassis number ZAM336B0000361186. No big deal that this car isnt a GT, as Rich says, the Ranger diff is perfectly ok & the MY94 is very nice, that colour combination is particularly good.

ps: Ewan have you seen these? http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/748/

spacecadet

Indeed. Also mine is a MY94 with ZAM336B00PB360891, so a later one, with a delivery date of 08.09.1994 (left the factory?), and a registration date of 29.09.1995. So probably there is also time between a chassis was manufactured (got the VIN) and a car was fully assembled. There is also a handwriting on the rear subframe saying "ghibli 94 C.MEC.", which could indicate the year of assembly or that it's a MY94.

Aahh! Thanks for clarifying dickyb. I was just running off the last three digits of the chassis number, wasn't aware of the significance of all of the letters in the middle but do now recall reading about how a different letter would place manufacture in one of two factories IIRC.