Thread: 3200GT steering recall/Thailand

Hi Gents/ladies,
    Anyone have a contact in Maserati Italy that can get some sense out of their Thai dealers? Last week I had just arrived at a friends house (luckily) & he told me to drive into the carport so that the car wouldn't sit on the road. Hard left, completely lost steering but managed to drive off the road. Got a local mechanic to take a look & as per photo the steering box had broken off the chassis at the bracket. Got it welded back into place & managed to get back home. Dug out the recall for the steering clamp fault & it's just spot on what happened to me.
    The dealers are changing over from a company called FERMA to a new one called Millenium. My wife contacted a former employee who said that FERMA had not carried out any recall work on the 9 3200Gts that were exported to Thailand?
    Recall: No. 1 of 4
    Recall Ref: R/2005/076
    Exact Model: GT
    Description: Steering rack sub-frame may crack
    VIN: ZAMAA380000000127 to ZAMAA38D000004901
    Build Date:
    Numbers: 874
    Defect: The steering rack sub-frame may develop a crack in the area of the two fixing points nearest the steering column. This could result in the steering rack becoming loose and a reduction of vehicle control. Potential early symptoms noticed by the driver could be vibrations, noises and unusual feeling through the steering wheel.
    Action: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and weld brackets of improved design to the sub-frame.
    Launch Date: 13 June 2005
    20170424_192557[1].jpg

its good that no-one was hurt and the car is fixable. its a good warning for anyone who has not had this recall checked.
    Current - 3200 GTA, Yeti, V8 Land cruiser,
    Previous cars - TVR Chimeara 4.5HO, TVR S2, 5.0l Mustang, Jag XJ, racing Hillman Imp.

Sure is Davy, I had the alignment checked/adjusted & pretty much trust the guys welding (up to maybe 120Kmh). On the recall notice they do mention a clamp of improved design (probably more meat). When I looked at the chassis I couldn't see any sign that anything had been welded previously, hence the question to the useless dealers who sent my wife a Ghibli brochure instead of answering the question.

Check with any main dealer, and they will tell you what recalls have been done. Just give them the chassis number. I got an email back from mine with a print out of everything done, all up to date
    60/75

Quote Originally Posted by allandwf View Post
    Check with any main dealer, and they will tell you what recalls have been done. Just give them the chassis number. I got an email back from mine with a print out of everything done, all up to date
    Sorry Allan, the companies that I mentioned are the (only) dealers. FERMA were the Maserati dealer in Thailand & did nothing about the recall. The dealership has been taken over by Millenium, who are trying to say that the "campaign" is not in force any more.

Update: Yesterday received an e-mail that the last of the required parts are now sitting in Bangkok & I can book a time to get the service work carried out FOC. After a year, I should think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tompelli View Post
    Update: Yesterday received an e-mail that the last of the required parts are now sitting in Bangkok & I can book a time to get the service work carried out FOC. After a year, I should think so.
    Think of the petrol you have saved
    60/75

Wow what a lead time

On a side note I would love to live in Thailand and have my Maser, the roads are pretty good and there are some nice mountain passes up towards Chiang Mai... petrol cheaper than Europe and nice weather nearly every day (other than rainy season)