Two Days With A Levante

StuartW

My Stradale was back with Marshall Peterborough for a couple of days to correct some paint on the roof that I was unhappy with so I asked for a Levante to borrow and they duly obliged.

It was quite a high spec with 21" wheels and lots of interior carbon and I have to say, I was impressed. The roads in my area are truly shocking and I have to drive the last mile to my house at no more than 20mph such is the uneven surface and severe camber so it was a good test for the air suspension. The ride was very good and the pickup from the turbo diesel was respectable too.
What I was most impressed with however was the general drive-ability and handling for what is a huge, huge car. The turn in is particularly precise and the cornering is impressive, especially in the sport suspension mode which is not unduly hard either. I have driven a fair few off roaders and with the exception of my Pajero Evolution, this one definitely drove the best. I look forward to the petrol version and whilst I did not tow anything or drive over wet, heavy ground, if I was in the market for a big 4x4, I would certainly think seriously about one.

IMG_20170510_1902534.jpg
IMG_20170509_1059115.jpg
IMG_20170509_1059319.jpg
IMG_20170509_1058472.jpg

ChrisQP09

Great stuff Stuart. Importantly, does it get the Maser attention and how does it sound, lets say going down a narrow lane :)

bigbob

I had one for a few days recently too and agree with what has been said, it's a very good car in its space. There were a few things I wished were different but there would be other such items on similar cars as well.

StuartW

Great stuff Stuart. Importantly, does it get the Maser attention and how does it sound, lets say going down a narrow lane :)

It did get quite a few looks in fact, I am guessing due it's rarity as I wouldn't call it drop dead gorgeous.
The sound in sport mode isn't bad for a diesel chugger & does sound very good at tick over

Andyk

Everything thing you read says it's a really good car and also on here owners seem to love them so seems Maserati are onto a winner with it which is great news for the marque and future models....Just wish it wasn't so ugly.

davy83

i am delighted its a good car, but i am not sure about the looks yet either, perhaps its one of those cars that grows on you.

bigbob

i am delighted its a good car, but i am not sure about the looks yet either, perhaps its one of those cars that grows on you.

I think you have to look at them in the context of what they are. For me a well designed estate is a better looking car than most SUVs. Take a look at a Sportline Skoda Superb estate to see what I mean. In fact one of those in 280PS petrol 4x4 spec is faster, ligher and more spacious than a Levante....and half the price. Thing is people want SUVs so well done to Maserati for making one.

MrMickS

My car is in for a service on Monday and I've booked a courtesy car. I'm now getting excited that it might be a Levante. It would be good to have one for a day to see how practical it is.

bigbob

My car is in for a service on Monday and I've booked a courtesy car. I'm now getting excited that it might be a Levante. It would be good to have one for a day to see how practical it is.

Boot size is ok but the coupe styling restricts space. The air suspension is great but it is a heavy car - 300+ kg more than a Ghibli. Strangely enough the only one I have seen on the road (other than the loan one I had!) was in York town centre driving past the new Carluccios.

Firefox

Ive done 5k in my Levante Sport now and couldnt agree more with your comments.

Nothing has gone wrong, no rattles and it is beautifully weighted and highly chuckable in the twisties, its a great SUV (bare in mind ive never had one before), it is huge but it never feels that big on the road

Ive not seen another one on the road and mine does get quite a bit of attention, pictures of the red leather interior do it no justice at all. Quality wise its fine, no where near as good as Porsche etc but no big deal for me

I drive mainly in Sport as it is alot more responsive in that mode, ICE boarders on dangerous, literally only use that for motorway driving at a push.

I dont think its ugly at all but its in the eye of the beholder, how some of you feel it looks like qashqai is beyond me ....

The footwell space doesnt bother me, I wouldnt have even noticed if Harry hadnt raised the issue, the nav/bluetooth is great, connects very quickly and the HK stereo can handle House and Techno music easily. The surround cameras are excellent, and can be fun when bored and stuck in traffic.

If I am being really picky ...The seat belt can be a little annoying to clip in at times, the wheels could be a bit more trick ( but I still like them ) the plastic chrome strips on the outside of the car are not great quality and need to be kept very clean and the occasionally i do put it in Park rather than Reverse due to the selector .

I read Clarksons write up about it this week and it is very poor, but i really dont agree with most of his points and would never buy a car based on what he said

if anyone is really thinking of buying one I am happy to answer any questions or to meet up so you can have a real detailed look over one.

bigbob

Ive done 5k in my Levante Sport now and couldnt agree more with your comments.

Agree it's a nice car versus Cayenne, RRS etc etc (and it would be my first choice in that space which is some result for Maserati) but remember the first rule about buying a car..........if there is 'Sport' in it's title then it isn't sporty. Just the same as any country that has 'Democratic' in the title.

w5pwr

Great loaner Stuart, someone near me has a gun metal grey one and its looks stunning, always catches my eye when I drive past. I also parked near a blue one at Stansted which also looked great, looks a similar size to a Macan?

bigbob

Great loaner Stuart, someone near me has a gun metal grey one and its looks stunning, always catches my eye when I drive past. I also parked near a blue one at Stansted which also looked great, looks a similar size to a Macan?

Maserati have done a brilliant job if hiding it's length. It is much longer than a Macan and is the size of a FFRR but looks shorter.

StuartW

The other thing about it is the comparative value for money. With well spec'ed demonstrators now selling for high 50s, that is a lot of car for your money and it did feel very well put together. It had covered 3k miles and other loaners and demos I have had with those miles are already rattling & creaking a bit but this one felt very tight and taught. I hope I get to have another one come service time, I quite enjoyed it for a couple of days thrashing around in the bumpy lanes of the Fenlands

conaero

Forum Owner
Stu, as ChrisQP asked in post #2, does it have that Maserati quality fit and finish that has been criticised in the Ghibli?

Its Great to hear positive reviews about new Maseratis after so much negative recently.

StuartW

Stu, as ChrisQP asked in post #2, does it have that Maserati quality fit and finish that has been criticised in the Ghibli?

Its Great to hear positive reviews about new Maseratis after so much negative recently.

I read his post as asking about the attention it generates from the public rather than attention to detail?
But anyhow yes, I would say that the the finish is improved on the Ghibli which on the first demonstrator I drove 2 years ago, did feel like it had been a little rushed in it's construction - the Levante does seem better

conaero

Forum Owner
I read his post as asking about the attention it generates from the public rather than attention to detail?
But anyhow yes, I would say that the the finish is improved on the Ghibli which on the first demonstrator I drove 2 years ago, did feel like it had been a little rushed in it's construction - the Levante does seem better

Great, that is good do know.

ChrisQP09

Stu, I personally think Maser should have adapted more crisp styling toward the rear, something like the x6 which looks bold.

MrMickS

Stu, I personally think Maser should have adapted more crisp styling toward the rear, something like the x6 which looks bold.

God no. I hate the X6, and its b**t**d child the X4. That said I think that they've been a little too conservative this time around. Hopefully they'll find something better for the next one. The area that they can be most inspired is going to be the front end though. The rear pretty much dictates itself unless you are prepared to compromise the usability.