Sticking throttle body

MRichards

After Xemodex refurb the butterfly valve is sticking,so I give it a poke to free it which triggers a "No ASR" message and the engine will not start. I have read all the stuff on sticking valves on this forum,but,what is the best way to stop it sticking ?
P.S. I can defeat the ASR problem by quickly turning the ignition on before the No ASR light appears. Then it goes OK,until I park it back in the garage.

MRichards

By carefully centreing the butterfly valve I was able to stop it sticking. Release the two torx screws on the spindle when the valve is fully closed & then retighten. Just needs a deft touch.

I now have a surging idle speed which is just annoying. I can see the butterfly slightly oscillating so there is a rhythmical signal coming from somewhere which is causing the surging. Anyone here been able to track it down ?

jluis

Stop fiddling with your TB and send it back before you do anything that voids the warranty on the repair.
Butterfly only sticks in 2 situations.
Greasy throttle body or corroded magnet debris.

Since you said they cleaned the body, its more likely the magnet/winding that has debris sticking the butterfly.
The only way to fix it is to remove the sensor and clean it but that requires full disassembly which will likely void your warranty.

The no asr light is usualy triggered when the engine cranks for a few seconds and doesnt start.
My guess is that the voltage drop due to cranking causes the asr to go offline until the voltage recovers again.
I had this on my car when i replaced the starter motor.
Engine cranked 2 or 3 times for 5 seconds each time until the air was flushed from the fuel lines and i got the same light coming on.

MRichards

I contacted Xemodex who replied immediately to suggest I slacken off the 2 torx screws holding the butterfly valve & re-align it. I decided to do this as a last resort and persisted with working the valve by revving the engine. Didn't take long to cure the problem.
The ECU is gradually learning not to surge the idle speed. It has disappeared to a very low level,+/_ 50 rpm.

The great news for Australian owners is that we have sourced a new clutch kit made locally for A$1600 retail. Shall keep you informed.
Looking to fit the new kit this week.

Twinturbo

I had mine refurbed by mike
At the Maserati shed and had issues ever since and then at 2000km it **** itself all together cause of heaps of debris around the magnet, a smarter idea would be for these idiots to actually refurb and clean the whole servo instead of just doing one side of it making it contactless , I now have a spare one cause I sourced a low
I'm TB runs better than I ever seen it before yes it will break one day but these idiots can't rebuild them to last longer anyway just in my experience and what I've read
Pro

MRichards

The throttle body saga continues. Persistent no-start problems led me to seek help with a Leonardo SD2 diagnostic tool which returned 4 non-erasable faults in the TB. So I cut my losses & bought a new Magnetti Marelli TB from Eurospares. A polite email to Xemodex indicating a program fault in the TB went unanswered. Their documentation states that it passed QC after repair !
However,Maserati still wanted revenge ! We have discovered a dud connection to the immobiliser under the dash which stopped the car starting as well. After splicing in a new connection the car starts & performs about nine times out of ten. We are still looking for another dry joint indicated by the Leonardo returning a "no communication " message.
Intermittent faults due to bad connections are common in old cars but drive you nuts trying to find them. The saga continues.

adam01

The throttle body saga continues. Persistent no-start problems led me to seek help with a Leonardo SD2 diagnostic tool which returned 4 non-erasable faults in the TB. So I cut my losses & bought a new Magnetti Marelli TB from Eurospares. A polite email to Xemodex indicating a program fault in the TB went unanswered. Their documentation states that it passed QC after repair !
However,Maserati still wanted revenge ! We have discovered a dud connection to the immobiliser under the dash which stopped the car starting as well. After splicing in a new connection the car starts & performs about nine times out of ten. We are still looking for another dry joint indicated by the Leonardo returning a "no communication " message.
Intermittent faults due to bad connections are common in old cars but drive you nuts trying to find them. The saga continues.
Intetesting that we have a Leonardo in Melbourne

Would u care to nominate the workshop?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MRichards

Hi Adam,
I shall ask the question of the owner whether he is agreeable to be known as a Leonardo owner. The equipment was made available as a favour and I'm mighty grateful.
There is an SD2 tool which did belong to Sandro,however,the new owner is desperate to recover what he's owed,so he's not playing with us.