Larini set-up 4.2 GranTurismo - Thoughts

Classico

So decided to go the whole 9 yards and went full Larini exhaust (Sports Cats, X-pipe, Non-valved Mufflers).

Now finding the entire system is just way too loud.

Thinking which part to take off (possibly more than one) to quieten it down but at the same time get that rich, deep exhaust note.

Have an early 4.2 GT.

BL330

Hi Robert, are the standard rear mufflers on your early GT valved like the GS standard ones?
If so, I'd start by refitting them, that way you have the option to be loud if you want too.

StuartW

Hi Robert, I had the same on my GTS except my rear boxes were valved. However, even with the valves closed it was nuts. Marios @ Autoshield said that it was virtually undriveable and my girlfriend said it was too embarrassing to go out in. I could just about live with it but I think I'm going deaf anyway.
I would suggest removing the rear boxes - the X and the sports cats was just about perfect for the GTS and would imagine it would be a good solution for your 4.2 also.
Good luck and keep us posted

Classico

Hi Robert, are the standard rear mufflers on your early GT valved like the GS standard ones?
If so, I'd start by refitting them, that way you have the option to be loud if you want too.

Hi Bruce. Been a while! Need to catch up at next Oz Club meet (Sunday May 28 from memory).

Unfortunately, the standard rear mufflers aren't valved.

That said, feel they were a better option with the Larini Cats and X-Pipe.

Classico

Hi Robert, I had the same on my GTS except my rear boxes were valved. However, even with the valves closed it was nuts. Marios @ Autoshield said that it was virtually undriveable and my girlfriend said it was too embarrassing to go out in. I could just about live with it but I think I'm going deaf anyway.
I would suggest removing the rear boxes - the X and the sports cats was just about perfect for the GTS and would imagine it would be a good solution for your 4.2 also.
Good luck and keep us posted

Hi Stuart!

I think you and others here are exactly right.

Looking to keep the Larini X and Sports Cats. Think if I didn't have them to begin with, the mufflers would have been great.

If anyone here is in the market for near new GT 4.2/4.7 Larini mufflers, feel free to PM.

Sommi

Hi Robert, based on experience of having a setup similar to yours although on a QP DS, I would still request a re-consideration of keeping the current setup. It does give these beautiful machines a very unique sound enhancement which is soothing as well as spine tingling as the sound changes so much through the range.
There is a good chance you may not find the "quietened" version as exciting! Just my two pence :)

Classico

Hi Robert, based on experience of having a setup similar to yours although on a QP DS, I would still request a re-consideration of keeping the current setup. It does give these beautiful machines a very unique sound enhancement which is soothing as well as spine tingling as the sound changes so much through the range.
There is a good chance you may not find the "quietened" version as exciting! Just my two pence :)

Cheers Sommi.

Tried to persevere but unfortunately just too loud.

Think if I just had the exhaust it wouldn't be an issue.

Classico

So I've decided on the following options to tone things down with the Larini system.

A) Remove Larini backboxes - keep Larini X-Pipe and Sports Cats

B) Remove Larini backboxes and Xpipe - keep Larini Sports Cats

C) Remove Larini X-pipe - keep Sports Cats and back boxes.

Decisions decisions.

StuartW

Option A is what I had on my GTS And I thought it was just about right. Start at the back and work forward is what I would suggest.

Also for me, the single best modification which changed the car's drivability and performance was the sports cats so I would suggest sticking with those regardless of what else you decide.

JonW

So I've decided on the following options to tone things down with the Larini system.

A) Remove Larini backboxes - keep Larini X-Pipe and Sports Cats

B) Remove Larini backboxes and Xpipe - keep Larini Sports Cats

C) Remove Larini X-pipe - keep Sports Cats and back boxes.

Decisions decisions.

If you go for Option C - I would be a buyer for the X-pipe to put on my MY12 Automatic with a Sports pack...

Not sure if this helps with the decision you have to make!

Classico

Decided to take off the Larini X-pipe and replace with the OEM X-pipe which has a resonator.

Bingo! Problem solved. The volume has dropped by about 30 percent and the drone is gone (as is some of the crackle on the over-run unfortunately).

But the main benefit now is that the Larini Cats and Larini exhaust sound very rich and deep.

Thanks all for your feedback.

And if anyone is still in the market for a near new Larini X-Pipe (less than 500 miles), feel free to PM!

JonW

Decided to take off the Larini X-pipe and replace with the OEM X-pipe which has a resonator.

Bingo! Problem solved. The volume has dropped by about 30 percent and the drone is gone (as is some of the crackle on the over-run unfortunately).

But the main benefit now is that the Larini Cats and Larini exhaust sound very rich and deep.

Thanks all for your feedback.

And if anyone is still in the market for a near new Larini X-Pipe (less than 500 miles), feel free to PM!

Have PM'd you...

JJbing

Classico, did you manage to get any videos of the full set up? Ive currently got Larini x pipe and rear boxes but not sports cats.. thinking of upgrading