Range Rover advice

zagatoes30

I have been looking to replace the ageing tow barge, 03 RR Diesel, and I have been round and round all the alternatives and even though I know RRs can be a pain they still tick all the boxes.

So search has been set at £25k sub 50k miles which puts me just into early 4.4 TDV8 territory which is 10/11 plate and for a few k less I could get a facelift 09/10 3.6 TDV8. All hunt dory just a case of search out the sweet spec & price point.

Then this popped up RR Supercharged and it is a lot of motor for the price.

media.jpg

Now not overly bothered about fuel as it won't be the main car but I have no experience of this Supercharged engine other than it is the same as used in the Jaguar XKR.

Has anyone any experience of this engine in either the RR or the Jag and has any one used a Supercharged RR for towing?

Any advice appreciated

Wack61

It's a range Rover, the engine will be the least of your worries :D

Richard Grace told me he knows of a very nice Disco 3 for under 1/2 that money 2.7TD though

BTW
These are just made up numbers

Urban mpg
12.5 mpg
Extra Urban mpg
27.2 mpg
Average mpg
19.0 mpg

zagatoes30

It's a range Rover, the engine will be the least of your worries :D

Richard Grace told me he knows of a very nice Disco 3 for under 1/2 that money 2.7TD though

I know all the RR issues. I have tried to like the Disco but I can't get past its Lego block looks.

I have looked at every other alternative and even with all its issues the RR still comes out on top so it is just the sensible diesel or bonkers petrol decision to be made.

These are just made up numbers

Urban mpg
12.5 mpg
Extra Urban mpg
27.2 mpg
Average mpg
19.0 mpg

And yes fuel economy is not it's best selling point

philw696

Looks stunning to me in that colour combination and 503 BHP what's not to like and under your budget too.
Happy Days :)

philw696

Exactly Andy I would be looking at that asap and take a good warranty just for piece of mind but don't need to tell you that.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Only had one supercharged RR, very thirsty, but if that's not a concern, go for it. As far as others, 11/12 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE or Autobiography is the one to go for.

Ewan

I've had my Supercharged petrol RR for about 7 years and its now on 81,000 miles. It's been ultra reliable and by far the cheapest to maintain of any of my cars. I have it serviced every two years at about £500 and that's it. And if you fit a tyre such as Grabber AT2 they'll last maybe 50k miles. Over that time its averaged 17mpg, so not wildly different to my QP. Has great power, presence and prestige and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

I've not kept any other car for even half as long as I've kept this one, and I think that says it all.

ChrisQP09

Hold out for 2 years and grab an L405 for about 35k with similar miles, they're already sub 50 grand with about your mileage requirement.

zagatoes30

Only had one supercharged RR, very thirsty, but if that's not a concern, go for it. As far as others, 11/12 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE or Autobiography is the one to go for.

Thanks Dicky, my original plan was to find a 11 4.4 and it still might be as it is probably the sensible decision. Will need to check how thirsty, thirsty really is

zagatoes30

I've had my Supercharged petrol RR for about 7 years and its now on 81,000 miles. It's been ultra reliable and by far the cheapest to maintain of any of my cars. I have it serviced every two years at about £500 and that's it. And if you fit a tyre such as Grabber AT2 they'll last maybe 50k miles. Over that time its averaged 17mpg, so not wildly different to my QP. Has great power, presence and prestige and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

I've not kept any other car for even half as long as I've kept this one, and I think that says it all.

I knew you had one so was waiting for real world input. I can live with 17MPG average not widely different to that of the Spyder

Wack61

Resale might be the issue but if you're not doing the miles I doubt the fuel costs between a petrol and a diesel will be that great , I'd pick the 5.0 over a 4.4td every time

Especially with the way the opinion on diesel vehicles is going

Who'd have thought it , activists throwing eggs at it until you point out its a 5.0 petrol

StuartW

That seems very good value for money to me, the deprecation from new on that one must have been immense

MAF260

I have the 4.4 twin turbo V8 diesel and it's a cracking car. For me it's the perfect runaround and I'm averaging 23mpg which is pretty good given I have quite a heavy right foot and the car weighs 3200kg. That's a lot of town driving as well. Mine is an ex JLR car so is fully-specced with way more options than I'd ever need. The heated steering wheel is lovely in the winter and the cooled seats complement the climate control in warmer weather. The torque of this engine coupled with the 8-speed ZF gearbox is a delight and makes for a rapid car when needed or a very comfortable cruiser.

Contigo

Sponsor
Selling the wife's CX-7 for £3.5k, such good value really and does everything a RR does but without the badge snobbery!

zagatoes30

OK going to go and look at this RR Supercharge on Friday if it hasn't sold by then alternatively a 4.4 Oil burner of which there are plenty around

Guy

I also use a 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography as daily wheels and I have to say I am a big fan. These cars are about torque not BHP and whilst I have had to adjust driving style (piling into roundabouts at high speed is not a great plan), it covers ground wonderfully well in great comfort and silence. I bought mine one year ago and have put 31000 miles on it at 27 mpg. A friend had the 5.0 s/c and drove very sedately for 17 mpg and I read that Chris Harris achieved 13 mpg from his but that is probably an indication of his driving style. I bought mine with new tyres and they still have 4/5 mm so it really has been cheap luxury motoring and a pleasant foil to the 'occasion' of driving the QP GTS. Outstanding 1200w hifi, great seat comfort (heated and cooled back and front), relaxing radar cruise, rubbish sat nav (use waze) and half the price of a new shape L405, which is a bit lighter but with a smaller boot. For LR products, I would always choose last of the line rather than be a guinea pig. Guess that's true of Maserati too!