Purchase of Maserati Granturiso S MC Shift few questions

dannywooly

Hi all,

Been hunting around for 14 months for GTS and finally 2 months before my 40th birthday (wanted one on it) i've found the spec i want at a price i can afford. I've put a refundable deposit down and the gentleman at the garage has accepted the deal on the bases that the service will be done, and an independent mechanical inspection will be completed, he will also be sharing this with me. So i thought it best that when it arrives maybe a few of you experts would take a look over it and give me some points or worry points.

The car has higher than normal miles for a Masser i guess but it just hit the sweet spot on configuration that i wanted.

You can view the car here for the specs and the reg is currently being transferred so if you feel like looking up MOT history (like i did) you'll need to use Y8 HOS for the reg search. There were a few things mentioned on the last MOT like:

• Rear anti roll bar rusty
  • Nearside rear coil sprin corroded
  • Offside rear spring corrided

Should they be a concern?

Obviously clutch is the important one for a car of this age and miles and the dealer couldn't tell me if it had been replaced but reading on here i think i'd be surprised if it hadn't and if has not been on the report im thinking its gonna be high wear. But the dealer is being quite good about the fact if we can't come to an agreement like replace or money off if high wear that i get my deposit back so thats good.

Really appreciate any help or advice you guys can give, I've wanted one since i was 25 and vowed to get it before my 40th. I specifically wanted the Black or Grey with cream leather and trident wheels, so this one hit the spot!! I've also not told anyone about it, as they can't surprise me with one i thought i'd surprise them!

Like i said i'll post the mech report hopefully on Friday afternoon, but if you guys have advice on what else to check let me know.

Kind regards

Danny

P.S. just noticed i didn't spell Turismo right in the title please don't hate me!

safrane

Welcome.

Not sure where you or the car is but suggest you pay for an inspection from a good Indi as they will be acting on your behalf not the seller.

The clutch can be measured and I suspect if there is no receipt for it it has nkt been done (£2.500).

The springs are not too expensive but the labour will be.

Items to be wary of are ABS sensors....new bearing req.
Parking sensors
weaping cam covers
suspension bits
exhaust actuators

Others will come along soon with more knowledge.

Great cars... you will love it...and Happy Birthday to you when it comes. (I got my first when 39)

CatmanV2

Welcome indeed. Those springs may not be long for this world. Cheap enough parts to replace, but worth budgeting for I suggest. I recall there being some labour involved.

As Peter says those are all items worth checking. Also exhaust manifolds apparently have a tendency to crack. Aircon compressors let go, but no idea how you'd mitigate that one.

Overall if you're happy and understand the running costs :)

C

GeoffCapes

If you're buying from a dealer you're covered by the Consumer Sales act 2015.
Which isn't far off having a warranty if you play hard ball.

However, if you're buying a car with known faults the legal position maybe slightly different.

Who is selling the car? That way we can recommend someone to do an inspection for you.

And pics of course.

safrane

ADG are a decent garage and will put right what 'needs' to be done...but understanding what may require attention by the end of the year may not make it onto a list or repairs or replacement and, if a wear and tear item, is unlikely to be covered by a warranty.

Put it this way...when buying a house you get your own survey done and don't rely on the seller.

dannywooly

ADG are a decent garage and will put right what 'needs' to be done...but understanding what may require attention by the end of the year may not make it onto a list or repairs or replacement and, if a wear and tear item, is unlikely to be covered by a warranty.

Put it this way...when buying a house you get your own survey done and don't rely on the seller.

Thanks for the reply, I'm kinda thinking that as long as they as you say put right what needs putting right, then i'm the one taking the gamble and purposefully went for a slightly cheaper model/mileage to ensure funds available for any repairs. Its an exotic at the end of the day and you can hope for a clean owner ship but you have to take that with a pinch of salt, i guess some get lucky and some don't, but i'll remain optimistic :)

Danny

beau

Car looks good and cheap :) and wouldn't worry about the mileage my mc is heading towards 73k

StuartW

That does look excellent value for money and soooo much car for your money. It has some good options too and ADG have a very good reputation so I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them. Others on here have bought their GTS from there so no doubt they will be along to give you more guidance but good luck

dannywooly

Car looks good and cheap :) and wouldn't worry about the mileage my mc is heading towards 73k

Hey, do you think the price is reasonable? I did try and get some discount but we are talking like £200. Glad your motor is doing well is that the original clutch still?

dannywooly

That does look excellent value for money and soooo much car for your money. It has some good options too and ADG have a very good reputation so I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them. Others on here have bought their GTS from there so no doubt they will be along to give you more guidance but good luck

Cheers buddy thanks for the confidence boost!

Contigo

Sponsor
WTF!!! £34.5K for a GTS MC Shift? With under 50k miles? Wow that's cheap. I bought the same car from them a year ago for quite a bit more so either it's a dog or prices have tumbled! :D

dannywooly

WTF!!! £34.5K for a GTS MC Shift? With under 50k miles? Wow that's cheap. I bought the same car from them a year ago for quite a bit more so either it's a dog or prices have tumbled! :D

+1 on the confidence boost IF the report and service come out ok

beau

Hey, do you think the price is reasonable? I did try and get some discount but we are talking like £200. Glad your motor is doing well is that the original clutch still?

Yeah that's a good price from that seller

I have no receipt for mine ever having a clutch, so could well be original, it needs doing pretty soon.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep my clutch went bang at 45k miles, so did Geoff's and others so make sure it has been done. IMO all GTS should be sold with a new clutch (from a dealer obviously)

BuckRog64

ADG will almost certainly be using Giallo for the inspection, a sponsor on this forum, so think you can take comfort you will see an honest appraisal.

I've been following the market, like I suspect you have, and price looks right to me assuming clutch has been replaced.

Contigo

Sponsor
ADG will almost certainly be using Giallo for the inspection, a sponsor on this forum, so think you can take comfort you will see an honest appraisal.

I've been following the market, like I suspect you have, and price looks right to me assuming clutch has been replaced.

Then you've been following it wrong as this is priced low. There are no others from a dealer at this price.

dannywooly

Thanks gents i'll see what comes out of the report on clutch wear and report back, appreciate the info on the garage too very useful and makes me feel a bit more comfortable :)

iainw

Yeah that's a good price from that seller

I have no receipt for mine ever having a clutch, so could well be original, it needs doing pretty soon.

WTF is happening with Mc shift prices? So much car for the money.

outrun

Then you've been following it wrong as this is priced low. There are no others from a dealer at this price.

Actually, there are a few. From £33,950k to £37k, there are 5 cars on Autotrader all from 45k to 55k miles. There's also a low miles Cat D car for £30k. I've noticed a small recent drop in all Granturismos with the 4.2 now around £25k and up when they used to all start at £29,995 and up. Stradales remain at £65k and up however the 4 seater is around £70k and so much of a muchness now between the 2 seater and 4 seater. I think there are simply a few of them hanging around in the market and the dealers are therefore reducing price to get them moved on.

I have to say that a £35k 4.7 seems to me to be a total bargain when compared to similar cars from other manufacturers.