Italy here we come

Caldy999

Ferrari heaven in the hotel car park - 8 stunning examples on some sort of Nurburgring rally.

IMG_2794.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2789.jpg

Caldy999

The driver is in a wheelchair and has adaptive controls fitted. Must be quite a handful.

Caldy999

Goodbye Ponti sul Mincio, hello Verona.

IMG_2964.jpg

Italy, you've been a blast. Our 'last night at the opera' then a long 7 hour+ drive up to Salzburg. However, it is via the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road so it should be fun. Problem is the brakes are a bit iffy after the Furka descent so will be taking it a bit easier.

montravia

Enjoy Verona, pretty place, charming people. See if you can quietly ricochet your exhaust in the narrow street by Hotel Accedemia crossing Via Manzinni. Quiet mind, it's perfect

Caldy999

Ha ha - I'm worried about getting out of the hotel car park. It's like an uphill ski jump!

Caldy999

Despite having set the TomTom route parameters incorrectly, almost ending up in Slovenia, we eventually made our last pass from Italy to Austria - the Grossglockner High Alpine. Not cheap at €35 but magnificent driving road and scenery with loads of stopping points for photos etc.

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

Caldy999

Well, 23 days, 5 countries (almost 6), 2391 miles, 565 litres of fuel, we're back in one piece.

IMG_3113.jpg

Mpg worked out at 19.2 - better than I feared considering the type of driving involved. Hood down 80mph cruise, hood up 100mph with the odd squirt well into 3 figures. Car behaved impeccably and what an engine!

Only disaster was when I dropped the nsf wheel into a hole at a toll booth - a combination of a lowered Spyder and a wife with short arms - so made a mess of that. Horrible graunching noise!!!

Couple of tiny chips in the lacquer coat that weren't there before we left.

The FD roll bars and Eibach springs have transformed the handling, virtually flat through the Alpine passes.

New steering wheel really comfortable, great feel whilst twiddling through the hairpins.

IMG_3104.jpg

Lots of tunnels on our travels and I now understand why JC slows down, drops a few gears and floors it. I had thought about deleting the back boxes but the mods I have already carried out have made it loud enough.

Random musings..............

Didn't see one other Spyder.
Tom Tom foreign place name pronounciation is ****.
Dutch drivers religiously adhere to every speed limit.
German drivers do not slow down in the wet - scary autobahn speeds, mental.
Italian drivers very respectful to Maserati Spyder owners - seemed to love seeing it.
Is Japan empty??? They all seem to be travelling in Europe.
Took me 22 days to pass my first Willi Betz lorry - where have they all gone?
Europe is a Marmite-free zone, thankfully.
Not one hotel offered in-room coffee making facilities - missed my wake-up coffee!
European food, generally, is ****. Had better Italian food in Newcastle and even Austria. Love pizza, but even the traditional Italian food was not what we expected.

IMG_3093.jpg

Lauterbrunnen, indeed Switzerland, is beautiful.
Milan is a s..t-hole, never seen so much rubbish scattered around and every building is covered in graffiti.
Drinks are expensive - €10 per pint in Milan. OUCH!
Verona is beautiful.
Alpine scenery is magnificent, and the fact that you have to access Alpine passes to get anywhere is truly fantastic.
For opera buffs, La Scala not a patch on Vienna, but Verona an experience not to be missed.

Fantastic holiday, something I've always wanted to do. Probably wouldn't do it again, I'm too old, getting more crotchety and fussy and I know what I like and want. So it's back to aeroplanes, roaming the world that is still safely accessible and I'll save the Spyder for weekends and UK wandering. Got an itch to revisit Applecross and The Pass of the Cattle! Next summer maybe.......watch this space.

philw696

A very nice write up.
Miss my Euro jaunts now down here but still get some good driving with a lot less traffic for sure.

CatmanV2

European food, generally, is ****. Had better Italian food in Newcastle and even Austria. Love pizza, but even the traditional Italian food was not what we expected.

**** knows what you were doing then! Welcome back. Glad you had a great time :)

Is your airbag cover personally done?

C