2 seat Stradale anyone - 67990

StuartW

It shouldn't be as much as £4k but once it's done, you can forget about it for a few years hopefully.
If you go in armed with the knowledge that it will need to be changed and that they should be doing it but have in your mind that you may have to contribute say £1k towards the cost, that would be fine in my opinion

iainw

Thanks - but not quite a done deal so don't want to get too carried away.

It is getting a service first which will hopefully be fine but the purchase is conditional on the clutch and brakes wear being acceptable...

When do people normally get their clutch done in terms of wear %. Surely one does not wait until it is 5% left (being Scottish, I probably would try!!) But would you normally get it done at 20/30/40%?

Brilliant choice- I think it's a gorgeous car and a real steal

iainw

I changed the 1 and R button unit, I know Ho Yin has also. Did it myself, the part was about £150 from Graypaul although we do get a discount from Meridien if you quote the forum. It took about an hour max, there are lots of hidden trim clips and screws, take your time. If it has a carbon unit, the price is much much more, like £800 or something silly. I have a leather one and that suits me fine !!

Great looking car, hope it all goes well.

I reckon at that mileage, you want a new clutch. It's not that expensive or that difficult but for piece of mind and maximum enjoyment, I'd be doing it. The wear indication is not great and shouldn't be relied on.

I had a carbon unit in mine with worn buttons. Bought a leather one for 150, got the buttons transplanted and it was a joy to behold.

safrane

Main dealers cars can't be sold with more than 40% wear to keep the Maserati used warranty (that was from DL a few years ago)

conaero

Forum Owner
Main dealers cars can't be sold with more than 40% wear to keep the Maserati used warranty (that was from DL a few years ago)

Hopefully that was the case with Stu's car and I can get away with the clutch till 2 years/30k miles

StuartW

Hopefully that was the case with Stu's car and I can get away with the clutch till 2 years/30k miles

Yes, hopefully - there was no reading made available to me before the clutch was changed as it was still with Maserati GB in Slough at the time and it hadn't made it up to my MD. When it was brought up to Peterborough for the MOT, service & PDI the clutch was read at 2% worn which is pretty much the reading after they are re-set, calibrated and road tested apparently

StuartW

Mines at 39% at 20k miles so it stacks up that yours was just over 40% worn.

If that's the case, whilst I'm pleased it's a new one for me, it does seem wasteful but my gain.

I see no reason why the clutch on the Stradale won't have the same life span as that of a MC-S so it should see me through for a number of years based on 5 - 6k / year

azapa

I bet you guys here have more empirical data than theory, but I would imagine it is all down to driving style and conditions, not car model. A hard driven car on open highways, or even a track once in a while, will probably have a better clutch life than a car that spends 50% of its time in stop-go traffic.

From my poor memory I think my clutch was at about 35% when I got her checked (at 10K miles) and, knowing the previous owner, was probably used for tootling around rather than hard drives. I fully expect to only add 5 to 10% more wear in the next 10K miles. I hope, rather ;)

Navcorr

I see no reason why the clutch on the Stradale won't have the same life span as that of a MC-S

I bet you guys here have more empirical data than theory, but I would imagine it is all down to driving style and conditions, not car model. A hard driven car on open highways, or even a track once in a while, will probably have a better clutch life than a car that spends 50% of its time in stop-go traffic.

Has there ever been any credence given to FD's claims of improved clutch life with the use of their DBW & subsequent faster changes? As it is promoted as one of the major benefits would it stand to reason the Strad would also benefit from its faster changes?

Navcorr

Did I read a while ago you removed the DBW from your 4200? Can't recall if the poster stated why - was it a tang thang :)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, hopefully - there was no reading made available to me before the clutch was changed as it was still with Maserati GB in Slough at the time and it hadn't made it up to my MD. When it was brought up to Peterborough for the MOT, service & PDI the clutch was read at 2% worn which is pretty much the reading after they are re-set, calibrated and road tested apparently

Mine was 8% worn 10 miles after being fitted. :)

CatmanV2

Has there ever been any credence given to FD's claims of improved clutch life with the use of their DBW & subsequent faster changes? As it is promoted as one of the major benefits would it stand to reason the Strad would also benefit from its faster changes?

There's no proper data at all anyway. And as Matt says, there's have been several cases where the tangs have given way before the clutch wears out. Gut feel is that it's not a statistically significant sample, though.

C

My old GTS from new was 25% worn when I sold her 3 years ago on 27k miles.

The Strad which I bought new know every mile done in her was at 27% worn at 16k miles on 3 years. Had to have her checked for the additional 2 years money theft called warranty extension!!

I drove both the same way. So my deduction is the Stad wears quicker

Stu

safrane

Experience of the three coupes I have owned is 1% per 1,000 miles. But as Matt said you can be hit with tang collapse at any time around 50% especially in the GS as both my 4200 sailed past 50%.