Wish me luck (minor modification content)

mattjevans

Having a reversing camera installed today by Audiofile-incar. They have good reviews from many (incl some on here) and have done this to a GTS before, but I can't help but feel anxious leaving the car with someone to pull bits apart... I guess the first time is the hardest.

iainw

Let me know how it goes matt! Brave- but he who dares and all that...
I was considering getting the unit changed in my car to an aftermarket one with new sat nav etc
But the reaction of all the fitters doesn't instill me with confidence

mattjevans

Wasn't brave enough to do the head unit replacement. This is a much simpler version, keeps the factory screen and auto-switches to the camera view when the car is put in reverse.

mattjevans

I do but to park in my garage and to maneuver around my driveway involves spaces shorter than the parking sensors can deal with. In fact, parking in my town frequently involves this. The Mas sensors seem to go on full beep with a fair bit of room. In my experience a camera lets you get much closer.

Navcorr

Which camera have you chosen as a matter of interest? Are you limited as to what brand you can use? Most manufacturers have a multi-view option which may be useful to you in such tight spaces. The Kenwood 320 has a very nice "corner" view.

iainw

I do but to park in my garage and to maneuver around my driveway involves spaces shorter than the parking sensors can deal with. In fact, parking in my town frequently involves this. The Mas sensors seem to go on full beep with a fair bit of room. In my experience a camera lets you get much closer.

I agree. Tried to park the Cali In mothercare seating bay- and it beeped like a madman so I stopped. When I got out I needed a taxi to the kerb- and my nose was stuck out. Looked pretty stupid. Maybe it was to make more room so the top could safely go up - but was annoying all the same

mattjevans

Whereas in my Audi I find I get full beep about a tenth of second before I bump into the babysitters car. Purely hypothetical example of course. Who would be stupid enough to do that.

Scaf

Mat
Who is doing the work and where are they based, I fancy this mod as
I agree the sensors don't allow me to get close enough but I can get within
a couple of inches using the camera on my Jag.

Wack61

Whereas in my Audi I find I get full beep about a tenth of second before I bump into the babysitters car. Purely hypothetical example of course. Who would be stupid enough to do that.

I fitted one of those DIY reversing sensor kits to a Nissan Navara about 10 years ago, I was surprised how accurate they were, so much so that I relied on them rather than doing anything more than a cursory glance in the rear view mirror.

We'd taken the kids out for the day, I was reversing into a space when one of the kids said stop you're going to hit that car, nonsense I said, they're not even amber yet, got out and I was about 5" from it

That's strange they've been fine before , well they were while they were fitted, we'd just been through the monkey enclosure at Knowsley safari park and the little ******* had ripped them off

mattjevans

Mat
Who is doing the work and where are they based, I fancy this mod as
I agree the sensors don't allow me to get close enough but I can get within
a couple of inches using the camera on my Jag.

Audiofile Incar in Bishops Stortford. Not exactly local but an hour away so not terrible, and meant I could still get into work in London for the day (or most of). Chose them because they'd done one before and it was a member here who said he was happy enough. On test and one park last night it seems good. Clean install (one exception but not their fault), fairly hi-def and wide angle. Comes on as soon as R button is pressed.

CatmanV2

Audiofile Incar in Bishops Stortford. Not exactly local but an hour away so not terrible, and meant I could still get into work in London for the day (or most of). Chose them because they'd done one before and it was a member here who said he was happy enough. On test and one park last night it seems good. Clean install (one exception but not their fault), fairly hi-def and wide angle. Comes on as soon as R button is pressed.

Can you share how much?

C

StuartW

How does the camera look at the back, do you have photos?

Heavenly

I'd also be interested to know costs if you would be kind enough to pm if you dont want to post publicly. My biggest issue is high kerbs on the rear. I have a service station on the M20 J7 that scrapes the front of any car and reversing back id like to see when I'm, within a foot to 6" of something as the sensors seem to stop you about 2 foot away, even further. I may also be interested in replacing the whole Bose speaker system that they have done before, so I'm unsure if there is a market for second hand Bose speakers on here?

Navcorr

If Bishops Stortford is too far for some maybe Sextons in London (SW18) could be an alternative. They don't specifically say they've worked on Maserati but they have on other quality marques. Had a lot of dealings with them in the past and they were always top notch. Maybe worth a call.

Scaf

I am at Hemel so that is not too far for me - thanks