Coolant in the foot well? Help please?

BL330

Memories, like the corners of my mind......
Interior minus Heater.jpg

12 months ago, it seems like yesterday.
And the silver box sitting on the top of the tunnel is the airbag box Mav said to check.
The area around mine was covered in green goo.
The triangular sponge that rests at the back of the radio was soaked too.

adam01

Not sure why but ^ links dont work 4 me

There is an all brass expensive version of the matrix avail. from the US.

Anyone interested can post up link

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tas4200coupe

A good way to check is to remove the centre consul and check the area where the air bag ecu is on top of the tunnel if there's a sticky residue around that area than most likly the matrix . ( it's right above it ) I'll try and find the link to the post of the how to .

Cheers Mav, much obliged.

K

spn

I've got to do mine at some point, does anyone know the part numbers for the hoses to and from the matrix. I bought what I thought were the correct ones from Eurospares but they were straight so I obviously ordered the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Simon

Gp79

Memories, like the corners of my mind......
View attachment 44055

12 months ago, it seems like yesterday.
And the silver box sitting on the top of the tunnel is the airbag box Mav said to check.
The area around mine was covered in green goo.
The triangular sponge that rests at the back of the radio was soaked too.

Sad times! At least no worries for another 10 years.

Think my matrix job is probably just around the corner but at least cheap as I will change myself.

BL330

I've got to do mine at some point, does anyone know the part numbers for the hoses to and from the matrix. I bought what I thought were the correct ones from Eurospares but they were straight so I obviously ordered the wrong ones.

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon,
No EuroSpares supply the wrong ones. I had this out with them. One had the correct bend in it, the other they supplied was straight and an inch too short.
I fought it for hours trying to fit it, lost a bit of skin and swore a whole lot.
Eventually I went to the trade motor shop who had a wall of hoses, gave them the original to match and they came back with a Hillman Hunter hose.
I had to shorten it, but it works fine.
EuroSpares credited the wrong part on my next order.
So go straight to a car parts shop for your hose.

spn

Hi Simon,
No EuroSpares supply the wrong ones. I had this out with them. One had the correct bend in it, the other they supplied was straight and an inch too short.
I fought it for hours trying to fit it, lost a bit of skin and swore a whole lot.
Eventually I went to the trade motor shop who had a wall of hoses, gave them the original to match and they came back with a Hillman Hunter hose.
I had to shorten it, but it works fine.
EuroSpares credited the wrong part on my next order.
So go straight to a car parts shop for your hose.

Thanks Bruce,

I couldn't work out how straight hoses would fit.
Was hoping to have all the bits before starting but I'll have to have a trip to the motor factors once I've removed them.

Cheers,

Simon

masertel

Hi Guys,

I’ve been a great fan of this forum for many years and have read many tips that have made owning a Maserati even more of a pleasure. Have been driving a 4200 for 10 years now and maintain and service it myself so have learn much in that time.

Always dreaded the soggy carpets and misted up windscreen due to failing heater matrix so added a product called Solvall Leakfix to my 2005 4200 3 years ago when it only had 36000 miles on the clock. To be clear my heater matrix had not failed so added this purely as a precaution (prevention is better than cure) and yes I was concerned it might be snake oil and block the rad cores. Pleased to say in the last 3 years the cooling system has not suffered any ill effects and now has 63000 miles on the clock. To say I drive the car in a spirited fashion would be an understatement- plus the car gets track time at Kirkistown and Mondello race circuits 4 or 5 times a year.

Thankfully I’ve never had a coolant leak of any description which could be just down to luck, but then maybe its this stuff doing its job. I put it in the cooling system for insurance as it would appear that as our cars get older it is a matter when and not if the heaters start to leak. If you what to check it out the web site is www.solvall.co.uk they also have a demo on YouTube - search for Solvall Leakfix. It costs around £10 and one can (300ml) treats up to 80 litres ( I put 150ml in to be sure to be sure with no noticeable adverse effects). A 4200 has 11.5 litres of coolant so well dosed. The product goes to great lengths to say it will not clog up systems and is Guaranteed not to clog up a well maintained system.

Solvall Leakfix is a N.Ireland Company and as I live in Portstewart N.Ireland would like to point out I have no affiliation with the product or Company and cannot guarantee it will work or cause no harm. I purchased it from a Plumbing Trade counter as it is also suitable for Central Heating systems and under floor heating installations and tends to be stocked my plumbers merchants not motor factors.

Have just got myself a 2003 Manual Spyder with 26500 mile on the clock to join the 2005 Manual 4200 in the garage (took a while but now got the best of both worlds). Along with changing all the fluids in the Spyder I’ve also flushed the cooling system and refilled with Motul Inugel coolant along with 200ml of Solvall Leakfix (just in case).

At the end of the day if you don’t fancy ripping the dash out this solution might be worth a try. It’s not expensive, easy to add and if it works it might be the best thing to come out of NI for a while!!

All the best sorting out the leak- would be interested to learn how anyone gets on should they decide to try this stuff or indeed any other high quality water sealing additive.

Must get back to the garage now and skin a few more knuckles. Changing the clutch, flywheel and thrust bearing on the coupe. No disgrace after 63000 miles- clutch didn’t wear out but the thrust bearing packed it. Thankfully not a big job on a manual- just time consuming!! Got an upgraded thrust bearing from Hill Engineering as the thrust bearing packed in on my last 4200 at around 68000 miles.

All the hairy breast,

Terry

Tas4200coupe

Gee, that sounds interesting! I have to say though, as I already have a leak (cause suspected, but as yet unconfirmed), which may well continue to deteriorate, it does sound like the most attractive band-aid solution, but a band-aid solution nevertheless. Surely I couldn't rely on the stuff for the next decade if so and eventually I'll have to do it properly? It doesn't seem right.

Has anyone else thought of such a solution?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Kim.

Migliore

Will the failure of the heater matrix also cause issues with the heater fan motor?

I`ve got the greasy windscreen and damp foot well too. The heater fan is also occasionally noisy if on low, if I crank it up then low it seems better but its intermittent none the less. Is it too much to hope for a gum leaf in the system. I couldn't find any other reference here to the fan motor.

I`ve sourced the matrix to be replaced but I`m going to trust the job to the garage, I always screw these things up and have to fix it twice.

Tas4200coupe

I did my fan recently and I doubt that the two are related. The heater matrix sits in the middle of the console and the fan is off to the LHS in front of the passenger's feet. Do both at the same time I reckon. Wish I had!

Tas4200coupe

If you can afford it, take the last one.

C
The last one it is! I double checked today and it is definitely the heater matrix. Drops of coolant coming out of the heater box. Thanks for everyone's help and advice once again.

Cheers,

Kim.