Mini John Cooper Works GP2 & Update

GransportFan1

For those unaware, i used to be a frequent poster on here, if a little too often. Since the original TG review of the Gransport back in 2004 it was a car i have always wanted and have been lucky enough to experience them on a couple of occasions courtesy of members off here who have moved them on. Years later it's a car i still want but i'll just have to wait and see where life takes me and if i do ever get in the position to own one. A GS Spyder is the absolute holy grail but i'd settle for a Coupe :D

Anyhow, since joining i've been fortunate enough to have a couple of nice cars and arguably my first performance cars courtesy of landing the right jobs. Previously i owned a Renault Sport Clio 197 Cup, a mouthful to say the least but it will always live long in the memory despite costing a few £'s to maintain, after all it is French and the build quality was on par with the durability of the plastic mould which separates your chocolates in box of Milk Tray; it was a fantastic car and taught me quite a bit about driving well / smoothly but maintaining a good rhythm courtesy of a few trips out to North Wales, Nurburgring and some sprint days. I loved this car, 2 litres of naturally aspirated screaming engine with a manual gearbox, for me its the last of the Natural aspiration. Pics below of my adventures....

Continental by Adam Melville, on Flickr

Clio by Adam Melville, on Flickr

In the reeds by Adam Melville, on Flickr

i modified the car slightly....

Full stainless 4-2-1 manifold
Scorpion Non Res cat back exhaust
Full chassis polybush, Powerflex purple series
Powerflex polybush engine mounts
Megane R26-R front discs
M Tec J Hook rear discs
Braided lines and performance brake fluid, Motul RBF600
Yokohoma AD08R tyres (absolutely impeccable)

you get the idea, i spent a few £'s just improving on what i could and it was a fantastic car. Was genuinely gutted to sell but it had to make way for the next car....

So fast forward to summer last year and a change of jobs (i'm now in car sales at Mercedes, previously SEAT) meant i could afford to buy 1 of a selection of cars i'd got on my list. I'd got my heart set on a BMW E46 M3, it had always been a realistic dream car of mine and i'd loved these since they came out in 2001 whilst i was in School. Was happy if it was either a Coupe or Cab, Manual or SMG i didn't really have a preference other than it had to be a top example with full history. I'd driven an M3 CSL prior to my hunt so i was happy with the feel of an SMG, although the CSL has a different map for the SMG it can be applied to a regular E46 M3. I was all set to view a 2002 Coupe finished in Laguna Seca Blue with the Laguna Seca interior, 53k miles, it was for me a Proper M3 colour combination, marmite to say the least but i love it. However, at the time a close friend of mine had just acquired a new Renault Megane 275 Cup S with the optional Ohlines suspension. Originally i had wanted a non Renault as i wanted to try a new brand and for the money i was spending, i didn't think the Renault had the nicest interior especially that 4 spoke bus steering wheel. But with that aside, i had a go and it really impressed... the way in which the chassis could absorb the bumps and undulation changes on the roads was just absolutely mega; not forgetting the way in which it could demolish a B road, it felt a really capable tool and it made me think that i couldn't drive an M3 in the manner i could the Renault. Also, looking at the running costs of the M3, ok the car was not going to be used everyday but i didn't fancy paying the high service costs along with parts which will need refreshing etc...

So, all was left now was to find the right car. I was looking off and on, nothing too serious as i had to sell the Clio first. Then whilst i was at a sprint day there was a guy there who had just come from a Clio 200 (same as mine just different front end) and bought a Mini GP2. I'd never really read much into these but he took me out in it and then let me have a drive which blew me away, having just come out of my Clio and stepping into this it felt just spot on; the whole package. The seating position was much lower and the rear end being an independent set up as apposed to the Megane just felt a bit more progressive and gave me more confidence as to how the car behaved. I came away that day nothing about any other car except a Mini GP2. I read nearly every review, watched every video and it just made me want one. I had to buy one....

2 months later, a 2013 13 plate appeared at Halliwell Jones in Chester. Now, having studied the markets on these they appeared to be everywhere and some cars were selling instantly, others not. I got mine for £18,495 with 7700 miles on the clock. Others for sale at this price had 3x the mileage so i bought the car unseen (with the exception of a video i was sent on the car) and collected it 4 days later. Having now had it since August last year, i absolutely love it. I can't imagine not having it in the garage and it always always without fails puts a smile on my face. It's also hard not to drive it like complete tool but i guess that's the point of a 2 seat hot hatch. It's 99% standard, all i have done is add a Milltek decat pipe for added pops and bangs which are aplenty; i am a yob at heart. Some pics below... it goes well for a hairdresser's car.

IMG_1720 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

IMG_1744 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

IMG_1742 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

IMG_1733 by Adam Melville, on Flickr

for those who don't no, these aren't just a JCW with the rear bench removed. I'll list the key differences between a GP and regular JCW...

Exterior
Genuine carbon rear wing
Mini challenge rear diffuser

Chassis
6 pot Brembo brake kit
Bilstein B14 Coilovers
Aluminium camber arms

Interior
JCW by Recaro seats

To buy the parts listed above to add onto a JCW you'd need the thick end of £6000, and yet a 2013 JCW was around £1500 less than my GP so it was a no brainer to go for the GP. No regrets, love the car to bits and it's going upto Scotland in August with a few mates to do the North Coast 500 run. Can't wait.

philw696

Welcome Back young man.
Great write up too and your career seems to be going well.
Hope you're having the same success with the Ladies ;)

GransportFan1

Welcome Back young man.
Great write up too and your career seems to be going well.
Hope you're having the same success with the Ladies ;)

Hey Phil, hope you're well and enjoying life on the other side of the globe. Career is good and it's just lady now i'm afraid :D :D

philw696

All Good for me in many ways apart from Marriage but have a very nice French partner here in NZ and still have my Project 4200 that I brought with me.
Worked for Maserati and Lotus for 16 months ticking that box but was very hard working for them when you are a passionate owner of the Marque.
A new adventure with Ford and Mazda :)

2b1ask1

Special case
Hi Adam,

Great to hear from you, most of the regulars are over for LeMans for a week but no doubt will be checking in at times.

philw696

The last time I went to LeMans I ended up buying a Ferrari 360 Modena F1 so be careful Newton :)

Andyk

CAdam thanks for posting my friend....Great to hear things are going well and that is one lovely and very special Mini. Always loved the two seater.......bet it is loads of fun. Brilliant mate.

midlifecrisis

Hi Adam. Welcome back to the forum. I'm happy that you're doing alright for yourself. Seeing that you work for Mercedes you might want to have a word with Damon aka Yoghurt... They're not in his good books.

Evo Cymru

Great post - always had a soft spot for the GP2 for some reason and the reviews I have seen have always been very positive. Have a R53 Works as a daily driver which I find great fun on the country lanes round here...

GransportFan1

Great post - always had a soft spot for the GP2 for some reason and the reviews I have seen have always been very positive. Have a R53 Works as a daily driver which I find great fun on the country lanes round here...

It's a real hoot to drive and the rear is very playful. Bought it to enjoy but i do hope the values remain strong on them.

Wonder how much GP1 cars are now....That would be a fun track little car.

Strong money now Andy, a really nice one without silly miles is £12k, and the very very good one's can be £15k upwards. Better off with a regular JCW and stripping it.

Corranga

Congratulations on your purchase, proper future classic there, should hold strong money as well as being a nice thing to look at and drive (so I'm lead to believe!).

I'm originally a classic Mini man, having owned a few over the years, but have never tried a modern one at all. I do see the appeal with the GP though - lack of rear seats aside that is, but then I'm a family man now too :)

Chris