Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Home amp

Hi-Fi the one subject that gets more nerdy and more arguments that cars.

Was only discussing replacing mine with couple of guys at Le Mans. Currently it is a matched Tag McLaren surround sound set-up, so a AV32R Processor, 100X5R Amp, with a DVD32FLR transport, B&W P5 Fronts, Ruark Centre & B&W DS6 Rears.

Tempted to ditch the surround sound, we rarely use if these days and go back to simple 2 channel Hi-Fi, so may well be looking at putting together a decent secondhand Naim system which will be pricey but a lot less than it would have been new. The good news is the Tag stuff is still well respected and also has a decent resale value.

In response to OP I would search out a decent secondhand AMP, Hi-Fi nerds are normally super protective about their kit so you can get a lot of buck for you money. One of the questions to ask is do you still have the original box? Nearly all the real nerds will have ask my wife
    Andy

Current Fleet

1982 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0, 1991 Alfa Romeo SZ,1996 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
    1999 Maserati QP IV
    2009 Range Rover Supercharged
    1983 Raleigh Tuff Burner

Quote Originally Posted by zagatoes30 View Post

Tempted to ditch the surround sound, we rarely use if these days and go back to simple 2 channel Hi-Fi, so may well be looking at putting together a decent secondhand Naim system which will be pricey but a lot less than it would have been new.
    I'd never heard of Naim until I bought a TV from a guy on AV forums 12-15 years ago, it was one of the first Panasonic 1080i sets, he'd had it 6 months and was upgrading , lived in a flat that used to be a college 200 years ago with very thick walls

There were these 5ft tall speakers sitting next to the TV with 4 drivers and a big tweeter on the top

I bet they kick out some sound

they should do for £10,000, (stock HiFi geek answer, tell me what they cost)

what £10,000 for the stereo

no £10,000 for the speakers

When I got home, I spent 10 minutes googling all the Naim HiFi he had listed in his signature, with the speakers it was £35,000

I sold a turntable to a guy, local so I delivered it, single guy in his 50s with a stereo like i'd never seen , speakers 5ft square with 4ft wide horn speakers on top of them, valve amps connected together like a nutty professors laboratory, racks of vinyl and CD's floor to ceiling the whole length of the lounge/dining room , must have been thousands, I'm surprised that half of the house wasn't tipping over

I had to have a listen to that so he made a cup of tea and put some vinyl on, I'd never heard anything like it , the sound was so clear it was jaw dropping.

You'd have to rent if you wanted sex though, no woman I've ever met would put up with that.
    Current way of spending far too much money
    2002 Maserati 4200 Classico
    2006 MX5 2.0 Sport BBR 200
    2015 Mercedes B Class 220cdi Sport Premium 4Matic
    2011 Transit 3.5t dropside pickup

Naim sound separation is like nothing else but it is focussed on 2 channel hi-fi. The top end Naim kit is extortionate especially as you often have to buy multiple pieces of kit to do a single function. Even in the basic levels you replace an amp with 3 power supplys, 2 power amps & a pre amp. Each source would also need a separate power supply when you get to the middle levels. Add in they use bespoke cable connectivity and you can see why the price builds quickly.

That said a good mid teir CD, AMP, Speaker system could be had for £2.5k pre-owned dependent on the power you are after. As this is top end kit it nearly always is in perfect condition and it is so well built that it lasts forever.

During our conversation one of the guys is considering selling his CD transport (i.e. the bit the spins the CD and reads the data), he reckons his is 5 years old unit will sell for near £5k the model he would replace it with would be an extra £10k (i.e. £15k pre-owned)
    Andy

Current Fleet

1982 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0, 1991 Alfa Romeo SZ,1996 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
    1999 Maserati QP IV
    2009 Range Rover Supercharged
    1983 Raleigh Tuff Burner

[QUOTE=zagatoes30;573756]Naim sound separation is like nothing else but it is focussed on 2 channel hi-fi. The top end Naim kit is extortionate especially as you often have to buy multiple pieces of kit to do a single function. Even in the basic levels you replace an amp with 3 power supplys, 2 power amps & a pre amp. Each source would also need a separate power supply when you get to the middle levels. Add in they use bespoke cable connectivity and you can see why the price builds quickly.

I used to have one of these. Cost a fortune to build up over the years, sounded brilliant, but it just became bonkers.

I now have a Naim Uniti one box unit with a power amp in my main lounge room, which sounds fantastic. I also have a Naim Muso which I use as a TV speaker and audio streamer in the kitchen/dining/lounge area. I'm a big fan of the Naim sound and their more modern and affordable systems still produce a great sound without the need for all the separate components and hi-fi shelving.
    Current: Ghibli GT Blu Nettuno/Rosso Pelle; Gransport LE Grigio Touring/Nero; Gransport Spyder Anniversary Blu/Blu; Levante D Rosso Rubino/Cuoio
    Past:Granturismo MC Stradale Grigio Granito/Nero; Gransport LE Nero/Avorio; Zagato Spyder Nero/Grigio; Ferrari F430 Spyder Nero/Beige; Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 Q4 JTS Alfa Red/Nero; Quattroporte Sport GTS Nero/Nero; Ghibli S Grigio Maratea/Rosso; 3200GT Nero/Grigio; Gransport Spyder Blu Nettuno/Nero; Ghibli D Nero/Cuoio; Gransport LE Blu Mediterraneo/Grigio; GTS MC Shift Nero Carbonio/Nero with extras; GTS MC Shift Nero Carbonio/Nero; GTS Auto Blue Oceano/Avorio; Quattroporte GT Sport Duo Select Blue Oceano/Avorio: Gransport LE Grigio Touring/Nero

Quote Originally Posted by Moz1000 View Post
    In my opinion you need to get the source right first. You mentioned you listen to CDs, so you need a good CD player with a respected DAC installed. When connected to your amp via the analog RCA outputs, your amp will then have the best chance of producing an amplified signal for your speakers that's to your taste.

It's all down to taste, what sort of music you listen to and budget.

Moz
    correct me if i'm wrong but, the cd player is the least component that should be 'expensive', or?

From what i read i believe that i cannot compare the music needs of, let's say, Catman with mine. Chris, also because of his wife's job, needs the most high end machines to make the sound lively. I don't think that at this time i should go that high, because, my 90 euros compact sony hifi has done a brillian job over the past years, so starting with a set of speakers that cost approx 450 euros, the difference should be night and day.
    On the other hand, i can say that i am satisfied with the sound of the MAser speakers (others go for alpine), and on my Mito, by replacing only the tweeters with a 70 euros alpines, it was a huge improvement, so i believe that my needs for now are not in the very expensive/exclusive root.
    Speaking with the guys at monitor, they advised for nad and cyrus, among others.
    I will take a look at what other members here advised, then i'll go to the music shop.

PS:Tube amp is not the way to go for now, i just use to remember the difference between a tube and a transistor amp, when i was playing the guitar.
    Last edited by Mr.Cambio; 19-06-2017 at 14:56 PM.

And, a last one, what do the pre amps do? Give extra power or different (and mixing) tone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cambio View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but, the cd player is the least component that should be 'expensive', or?
    'It depends'

In the US the prevailing view was to spend most on the speakers. Regard them as a window on the rest of the system. If they aren't as good as they can be, you lose something of what the CD *player* is putting out.

In the UK the prevailing view was that you should spend most on the source. If you can't get the best signal off the CD, then you're just amplifying and listening to a bad signal. I try and balance everything out.

I maintain that spending €700 on an amp to drive those speakers is not entirely sensible (even if it is second hand). I'd spend maybe half that and bank the rest for a future upgrade.

BUT: it's your money, your ears. Go listen

PS What CD do you have? If you're using the €90 Sony to drive the amp, then I'd buy a new CD player as well from your €700

But that's me

C
    The Catman formerly known as an Alfisti.
    '07 Maserati GT (Grigio Palladio), 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

the only new thing i have are the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cambio View Post
    the only new thing i have are the speakers.
    I'd split it 50/50 then. New CD and amp.

C
    The Catman formerly known as an Alfisti.
    '07 Maserati GT (Grigio Palladio), 147 TS, Sprint 1.7

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast