Bl*&$%dy Sat NAv AGAIN!

P R

So my car is out of warranty tomorrow (21st June). Last night it decided to throw its 2 monthly sat nav failure. The loading screen just hangs on starting the car and cycles through loading screen - black screen for the duration of the journey. Still doing it this morning. I filmed it and have emailed the dealer (As they requested on the last few times it has done this). It normally works again after 2 or 3 days and their response has always been a "re-install"
This obviously hasn't fixed the issue so will book it in and press for them to actually fix the thing.
Does anyone know how the sat nav works, is it pre installed on a flash drive or something? Its as if there is a glitch when trying to load / access this?

The only other thing I have thought it is a license issue. On the load screen normally it has 3 or 4 lines of copyright "info" and when it hangs these lines aren't showing.

The end result is very inconvenient as I use the sat nav a fair bit...

midlifecrisis

From a legal point of view, this is a latent issue and therefore a warranty claim is still valid. I'd would point this out that they still haven't resolved the issue despite their attempts and they are liable for the costs of it being fixed.

P R

Yes that's the concern, they can keep "reinstalling" it but it hasn't fixed it. I made sure I emailed the video through last night, inside the warranty period. I am going away on Fri for a week to Italy so wont be able to book it in until after that.

midlifecrisis

I'd say that there's an issue with the hardware. The code is either not being stored correctly or not being read right. I'd imagine that the storage is solid state (like an SD) and the code is hanging.
They certainly need to address the issue. Good luck.

MrMickS

Out of interest which dealer is this? To add to my list of people to avoid when dealing with the SatNav ;)

P R

Well I am now waiting to see if I have to actually take the car over there later (130 mile round trip) just to ensure its done under warranty. They have a video (dated last night) with the issue on. Its quite unbelievable.

P R

Just contacted them (they did leave me a voicemail last night which I picked up this morning), they will honour anything to do with the sat nav so booked it in for when I get back. No doubt it will be working again by then!!

StuartW

Good to hear, common sense does sometime prevail. These kind of intermittent faults are the most frustrating - fingers crossed it gets fixed this time

MrMickS

I think this is a tricky area for the dealers. The workshop staff will be trained to deal with all of the mechanical stuff, how to use the diagnostics for engine management etc, but this sort of thing is on the periphery of what they deal with. Given that its just a re-badge of a Chrysler system with intermittent updates, I don't think Maserati are that interested either. Its out of their comfort zone.

A recent problem I had after the service was because the link between the MTC and the actual system hadn't been fully restored. This meant that some things worked and some didn't. It took me taking it back, for something else, for the dealer to be able to find the issue. It wasn't something they could diagnose remotely. Intermittent faults like the one you have are even worse. If I were you I'd push for them to replace the unit, given the number of times they've taken a look at it, as otherwise its likely to drag on and on.

I did have a glitch a while ago when I got nothing at all on the screen. It magically reset itself and has been ok since.

P R

Yes to be fair if (as in the other cases they have looked at it) all is well, its hard for them to do much. However, they now have the vid of it playing up so as you say should really be replacing the flash drive (or whatever it is).. as there is an issue somewhere. The fault itself is annoying, I am left with no sat nav, randomly for a few days at a time (So far).. what I am more uneasy with is if it were to break completely now its out of warranty

MrMickS

As the fault has manifested itself prior to the warranty expiring, and they have failed to fix it, I think that you're ok there. They have to provide some warranty on the remedial work that they've done. If they fixed it and the fault came back in a year or more I think you'd be out of luck though.

P R

Yes we shall see. I have googled the issue, and a few other Masers have had this, but also many Jeeps and Chrylsers have, so there must be some knowledge in the company somewhere!

MrMickS

Yes we shall see. I have googled the issue, and a few other Masers have had this, but also many Jeeps and Chrylsers have, so there must be some knowledge in the company somewhere!

I'm not sure that they talk to each other much. As I said if it was mechanical I'm sure it would have been sorted. These sorts of things are kind of 'meh' and someone else's problem.

P R

Exactly, I can see them finding nothing, and doing another re-install and that's it..

MrMickS

Exactly, I can see them finding nothing, and doing another re-install and that's it..

I'd push on this and if they can't find anything, just rinse and repeat the previous actions, say that you've no confidence in the fix as it hasn't worked before. Perhaps get an undertaking that if it recurs that the next action will be to replace the unit.

P R

I dropped it off Wed night, will find out today what they have found / not found and a way forward...

MrMickS

Hope they've managed to find a way to fix it. Maybe you can squeeze a free map update out of them by way of compensation ;)

Yeah, I was joking. Not a chance of that.

P R

Just called them, the thing is working (was when I took it in) and they can't get it to fault, so have contact Maserati with what to do next. They do have a video of it not working..

MrMickS

Just called them, the thing is working (was when I took it in) and they can't get it to fault, so have contact Maserati with what to do next. They do have a video of it not working..

You know they won't be able to get it to fail but as soon as you get it back it will go wrong again.