4200 Engine Running hot or not? & AC qwerks

gt86driver

Hello guys,
Im zaher from Bahrain, proud owner of a 2003 4200 cc

At cool nights (25c) highway temp is a tad below 90 than goes to 90-91during spirited pulls. Then goes back to 90 even at high-speed moderate throttle..

During daytime (35c+) highway temp is steady at 90 but if I floor it it raises more around 92-95 in daytime traffic it's 92-95c or reaches close to 100 if it's really heave traffic..

The previous owner said: as per the masserati dealer that is normal operating temp in the middle East during summer..

And the AC.. It used to be ok when the blower speed is at halway if it's over halfway I heer a cranking sound & if I drive fast the AC blower stops.

Last week I was gently cruising up to 180kph so the AC was working than on my next drive suddenly the air is only coming out the top near the windscreen!

I tried resetting the battery & AC but still..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

gt86driver

Btw, I had it inspected at an indi garage, the guy said one of my fans was slow and I needed a new thermostat

He quoted me
700pounds if the fan can be repaired + aftermarket thermo
900 for a secondhand replacement fan + aftermarket thermo..

conaero

Forum Owner
Welcome.

Your climate will push higher temperatures.

You should replace the thermostat first, its an easy job and costs about £40 and half an hours labour.

The fans, I am not so sure, that sounds fishy to me. There is a low and a high speed fan so this sounds like yours is correct.

I would also opt for a waterless coolant. This should cost £100 and the same again to replace. In your country I am sure there must be several places that would supply this. The waterless coolant is more efficient and does not boil.

How is your oil pressure gauge doing, is it reading less than a quarter or 1 or below and the light flickering when its nudging 100 degrees water temperature?

gt86driver

Thanks for the prompt reply,
My oil pressure is at 2.5bar to 5bar when hot.

As for temp gauge it only reached 110c(light on) when I drove to the edge of this dessert island around 20miles spirited driving than 60miles worrying ;)

conaero

Forum Owner
Considering the heat, your oil pressure is very good. Over in the UK on a hot day (25-30) the oil pressure on a 4200 will be well below the middle at idle.

Here is the fan resistor, it sits in the bottom of the radiator fan housing by 2 cross head screws and is a common failure item:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/m...-heating/cooling-system-radiator-20482/263140

Jack the car up on axle stands, remove the under tray and you can get your hand in and remove it. If your cleaver you may be able not to remove the under tray and save a bit more time.

We have a very knowledgable member near you called JP Mondalek, send him a PM he will be able to assist you immensely:

http://www.sportsmaserati.com/member.php/81-jpmondalek

RobinL

Considering the heat, your oil pressure is very good. Over in the UK on a hot day (25-30) the oil pressure on a 4200 will be well below the middle at idle.

Here is the fan resistor, it sits in the bottom of the radiator fan housing by 2 cross head screws and is a common failure item:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/m...-heating/cooling-system-radiator-20482/263140

Jack the car up on axle stands, remove the under tray and you can get your hand in and remove it. If your cleaver you may be able not to remove the under tray and save a bit more time.

We have a very knowledgable member near you called JP Mondalek, send him a PM he will be able to assist you immensely:

http://www.sportsmaserati.com/member.php/81-jpmondalek
Hi, on similar subject, although I'm in UK my 2004 4200 runs at reasonable temperatures but a/the fan always seems to be running. Is this likely to be a similar sensor issue - or normal behaviour? (I'm still at the 'learning' stage)

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Personal opinion but I would not go waterless coolant.
It's more viscous than water and puts more strain on the water pump.
Also it is not as efficient as water with regard to heat transfer, so you will find you run slightly hotter.
The advantages are small really, okay you don't need to run with a pressure cap as it doesn't boil, and it's for life.

philw696

Thermostat and housing a bit more than 40 quid from Maserati and don't know of an aftermarket replacement unless anyone knows different as I have just done mine.

Gp79

If i were you i'd change the fan resistor first - this controls the radiator fan speed, mine failed safe so ran at high speed only

Then change the coolant thermostat and flush the system with clean water before adding standard antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor, make sure you bleed properly - a bleed point is on each bank on engine front cover.

The fan problem from the indie garage talk about sounds odd / nonsense, electric motors usually work or they don't.

Good luck.

Mr.Cambio

Hello from Greece. We have "similar" conditions regarding heat. I use to drive the Mas below 25 degrees. If temperature raises, the car has the same attitude as yours, so it's a shame to drive her, as i believe hot weather is a kind of abusing any car.
Replaced thermostat but still the same.
So, no need to worry, just drive her in the night, or in spring/autumn.
Hope this helps.

gt86driver

Thanks for all the insight guys.
A friend of mine here who has been boosting jdm's suggested replacing the fan with one from a Nissan maxima. He said even with the extra heat from turbo's the maxima fan keeps them çool but than I'd be running cool for half the year...

gt86driver

Hello from Greece. We have "similar" conditions regarding heat. I use to drive the Mas below 25 degrees. If temperature raises, the car has the same attitude as yours, so it's a shame to drive her, as i believe hot weather is a kind of abusing any car.
Replaced thermostat but still the same.
So, no need to worry, just drive her in the night, or in spring/autumn.
Hope this helps.
had a 20km highway commute today in 38c weather the water temp was actually 88c it only raises in stop & go.

I think I'm better off saving the mas for cooler weather & just avoid using her in traffic..

Unless an upgradable fan wich I can manually adjust the speed for winter/summer is possible :)

Mr.Cambio

I would save my pennies for an aftermarkt cooler, with unknown performance. The thermostat knows exactly whaen it's time to open. Simply don't worry and avoid traffic, i would suggest.