Should I Start My Car Up?

John3200

I brimmed the tank with Shell V-Power Super Unleaded, then poured some Ethanol Shield Fuel Stabiliser in and drove about 20 miles to pull a gallon through the pipes bnefore I parked it up. Judging by how keen the car was to start I don't think it's gone off yet!

I'll give gorilla glue a go, and if that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and drill proper fixings for the tyre savers.

thanks all.

John

Last edited:

John3200

[video=youtube;7-uDw3JvMtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-uDw3JvMtk[/video]

Idling with Larini back boxes. I'll never tire of that sound :)

Navcorr

I'll give gorilla glue a go, and if that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and drill proper fixings for the tyre savers.

thanks all.

John

In which case do make sure the concrete is properly sealed. This would be a requirement regardless but more so for the type of adhesive you'll be using.

highlander

early doors toyed with changing the tubi over to larini but now quite like the tubi burble.......
Glad the old girl started for you. Some interesting comments about petrol to bear in mind since I've stored marci over winter with minimum petrol in her so guess I should store with her full?

Needamaser

early doors toyed with changing the tubi over to larini but now quite like the tubi burble.......
Glad the old girl started for you. Some interesting comments about petrol to bear in mind since I've stored marci over winter with minimum petrol in her so guess I should store with her full?

Perennial topic in old bike world. Consensus is drain tank or fill to the necks as in between and condensation forms on tank wall.
Fuel will go off in weeks never mind months if not stabilised. Local agricultural plant dealers say they have machinery won't run after short periods. Friend of mine had this with a new Honda mower he bought. Lasted less than a month and he was throwing away the fuel. Gave him some of my "Frost" additive and problem sorted. I add it to all my bike tanks and started a bike last week which must have lain for at least 3 years and she started first kick. Note not electric start and a carb not fuel injected.
If you want some Greg to squirt in your tank (ooh err missus!) at the end of the season let me know.

highlander

Perennial topic in old bike world. Consensus is drain tank or fill to the necks as in between and condensation forms on tank wall.
Fuel will go off in weeks never mind months if not stabilised. Local agricultural plant dealers say they have machinery won't run after short periods. Friend of mine had this with a new Honda mower he bought. Lasted less than a month and he was throwing away the fuel. Gave him some of my "Frost" additive and problem sorted. I add it to all my bike tanks and started a bike last week which must have lain for at least 3 years and she started first kick. Note not electric start and a carb not fuel injected.
If you want some Greg to squirt in your tank (ooh err missus!) at the end of the season let me know.

Ooh err missus yourself Stewart! Tbh, I'm at a bit of a crossroads with the old girl. Do I go with original plan of finish driving her this summer and tow her to shows and hope she is worth something when I retire or do I just play her to death year after year? As the summer goes on, the original plan becomes less attractive after every time I drive her. Just hoping my back is better by Saturday to make the atholl meet.

allandwf

Mines on 80k, I'm going to drive and drive her, I'm sure she will still be worth something to the next costodian. I can see your point of view, but it's a bit like people who used to leave the plastic on their new seats!

Needamaser

Mines on 80k, I'm going to drive and drive her, I'm sure she will still be worth something to the next costodian. I can see your point of view, but it's a bit like people who used to leave the plastic on their new seats!

Lol. Had forgotten about the plastic coverings!

highlander

Lol. Had forgotten about the plastic coverings!

Was a very 70s/80s thing I think.......thankfully that never caught on. Remember a friends parents who had a plastic cover over their 3 piece......my god, I had forgotten just how uncomfortably sticky and noisy it was!