New MC Stradale owner (almost)

Stormbrew

In 3.5 hours time, I pick up the 2014 MC Stradale that was sitting in Romans for a couple of months. I had asked a few questions a couple of weeks ago re clutch but had kept a low profile as my offer for the car was contingent on a few things (including clutch wear) as it also needed a service. So I didnt want to get carried away asking q's etc until I knew the deal was done and can admit to owning it.

Now that I have transferred the money, it is time to admit it will be mine and can get exciting about picking up this beast!

Mostly it will be tootling up the A217 in rush hour as it is my new daily/family car...
Having never driving a single clutch manual automatic thingy, any tips for driving it smoothly? When is it best to leave in auto / sport.
When should "race" be pressed (my default thought is always...) What does it do? What to watch out for when pressed?
Has anyone fitted a front parking sensor/camera to Stradale? I have found some forums in the USA but have searched here to no avail. Has anyone done it here and has any advice. (I'm too lazy to go back to finding big spaces and worrying about the front etc!)
I may want to make it a little noisier, not to 11 but just a little bit. Without putting in a whole brand new exhaust system, is there some halfway house mod that could be done.
Has anyone tinted the rear 3/4 windows? Actually not for some aesthetic reason etc but will be the main car to cart around a 2 month old and a 4 year old so it would be nice to shield some sun (not that much can get in there!)

I have read various jornos reviews of them but wondered if anyone here has written a 'real life' review of living with one and the quirks etc of driving it etc.

3 hours 19 mins to go...

StuartW

Well done & you won't look back - they are amazing! The Romans car looked to be fantastic value for money and very well specc'ed.

As for your questions, this is my opinion.
The auto option is not great and quite lumpy/industrial on gear change, I never use it. For daily driving in traffic, I would suggest sport using the paddles and with a gentle, very slight lift off when up-shifting to smooth out the gear change. And pull both paddles towards you to flick the car into neutral when not moving to help save the clutch.
As soon as the road opens up a bit, go into Race but beware as the gearbox will drop down a gear and will send you flying into the distance if your right foot is planted at the time. It gets much noisier in race as the exhaust valves are now fully open and you find when you revert to Sport, it becomes very, very quiet in comparison. Which brings me to the exhaust option. I found sport too quiet so have gone for a Larini X pipe which a simple and reversible mod which makes a world of difference. Now, in sport mode it sounds a little louder and there are some wonderful pops and crackles when you back off the throttle which weren't there before with the OEM centre box. The volume also is higher in Race now. I'm happy to meet up if you want to do a comparative test when you get it.
As for the camera / front sensors, I can't help you there but someone else on here is currently investigating it for his GTS I believe.

Roll on 3 hours from now and I look forward to the pictures.

conaero

Forum Owner
Having never driving a single clutch manual automatic thingy, any tips for driving it smoothly? When is it best to leave in auto / sport.
- The car always stars in Auto and will be jerky as anything. The procedure to start is to hold the key on ignition till the lights go out then it will be very smooth and not jerky. You need to lift the slightest of smidges on gear change to get it smooth. Too much lift and it will be jerky....its comes pretty quickly.

When should "race" be pressed (my default thought is always...) What does it do? What to watch out for when pressed?
- RACE should always be on except when on motorway cruise in my opinion. It opens the exhaust, sharpens the throttle and when the MC RACE light illuminates, the gear change is savage

Has anyone fitted a front parking sensor/camera to Stradale? I have found some forums in the USA but have searched here to no avail. Has anyone done it here and has any advice. (I'm too lazy to go back to finding big spaces and worrying about the front etc!)
- I have not and wont be

I may want to make it a little noisier, not to 11 but just a little bit. Without putting in a whole brand new exhaust system, is there some halfway house mod that could be done.
- I had heard that the Strad in RACE was epic...for me it was not. I fitted a Larini H pipe and it did lift it but not dramatically. The car is so large, from the cabin you dont hear the noise but those behind do. I am happy (not blown away) with what I have now but feel its only a matter of time till the Larini sports cats enter the frame.

Other advice, watch the size of the the thing and get shot of the Pzero Corsa tyres, especially the front for Michelin as soon as possible. The Pzero is a **** tyre that does not work below 10 degrees and is fidgety through the steering. Apart from that....game on!

Contigo

Sponsor
Ignition on to self test, pump accelerator three times, ignition off, ignition on allow self test to finish, start car. Marvel at how smooth the gear changes have now become. Thank me later.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
- The car always stars in Auto and will be jerky as anything. The procedure to start is to hold the key on ignition till the lights go out then it will be very smooth and not jerky. You need to lift the slightest of smidges on gear change to get it smooth. Too much lift and it will be jerky....its comes pretty quickly.

^^^ This. Especially the turn ignition on / wait for lights to go out / start car bit. It's bloody horrible otherwise. The accelerator pumping approach suggested by Phil just serves to buy time while the lights go out and everything gets itself primed.

Contigo

Sponsor
^^^ This. Especially the turn ignition on / wait for lights to go out / start car bit. It's bloody horrible otherwise. The accelerator pumping approach suggested by Phil just serves to buy time while the lights go out and everything gets itself primed.

I always do the wait it out but if you do the pump as well I can guarantee it is even smoother.

azapa

^^ we are getting a little picky here, but I just turn the ignition on, wait 'till the airbag light stops flicking, and start. Smooth as pie.
To the OP: please do the above, or you will hate the car for a month until you do (cough cough, I know someone who went through that...). And, not to be a party-pooper, but IMHO the stradale hates traffic! Avoid the rush hours!

Welcome to the fold, I hope it brings as many smiles as mine has done. Xpipe fine, too, regarding exhaust. Stock is lovely, as it is, also.

outrun

I'm a three pedal pumper too.

I use mine in sport mostly but race mode comes on in all built up areas and anything resembling a back road. On a long run, I find sport to be more agreeable but we are all different!

Take the time to get used to it and you will love it. Don't rush it, they have all sorts of character that needs caressing to get comfortable with.

mattjevans

For a front camera, be worth putting in a call to Audiofile Incar in Bishops Stortford. I had them recently put a reversing cam on my GTS (factory screen, auto-switches as soon as car is put in R) but I bet they can do a front.

Stormbrew

Well...
So the car is finally mine and oh boy, what a car it is. When I test drove the car, I intentionally dodnt drive it fast etc as I wanted to keep some of the magic for when I owned it (and it was a way of not getting too exciting in case I didnt get it). So, when it was finally mine, I pushed it a little more and just what an epic experience it was!!

When I picked up the car, I forgot about the starting procedure so was a little jerky. However, once home (only 2 miles away thankfully), straight back onto this thread and to follow said instructions. And yes, thank you all for the advice, what a difference it made!! Took it out for a further test drive with wife and 2 kids and was a little more spirited and pressed that "race" button. WOW - that's an exciting button to press! Even wifey was liking the noise. Indeed, pootling off from lights and going up to 3K revs in "Race", sounds like its about to take off! Smiles are round in the car and involuntary giggles from my son each time I pressed the throttle. PS - hello to the blue GS with reg P11 ERS (I think) who came on at the same junction as me and had a similarly spirited entry onto the motorway...

Also, went to Chessington World of Adventure in it and confirm it is the perfect family car.
Pram in boot - check
Nappy bag in boot - check
Picnic bag in boot - check
BOOT FULL...(what else do you need anyway!)
Even went 'off road' (well drove along grass and parked on a dry field...)

Matt - thanks for advice re front camera. Will put a call in. If no-one has done it before here, then may just drive it and see how I get on.

conaero

Forum Owner
They are terrific cars. After 3 weeks, I am still wandering out into the garage to make sure I did actually buy it and it wasnt all a dream.

StuartW

Well done, I look forward to seeing it. And I agree, the 4 seat variant is such an excellent all rounder if you need to take passengers, and it is an event to drive it every time. I have only had mine for 6 months but the sense of occasion has not diminished at all

Enjoy the ride!

mattjevans

Ignition on to self test, pump accelerator three times, ignition off, ignition on allow self test to finish, start car. Marvel at how smooth the gear changes have now become. Thank me later.

I tried this in the weekend. Thank you.

FA57GTA

Congrats on your purchase, you will not be disappointed. Like the other guys say, it will take a while to get used to her, but there is so much character to the car. I've also had mine around 6 months, mine is a 2nd car so I only use her at weekends, but always press the race button once she's warmed up as I just love the sound! I also do the lights out ignition before start up too.
Thanks tom.