OBD reader

skippiemcgee

Hi,

I have a 4.7 GTS.

Which is the best OBD reader for the car, one that will allow me to read and reset?

Is there also one that's compatible with a 996 turbo, it would be a benefit but not essential?

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

skippiemcgee

Thanks Kyle,

I notice it does not work with iOS, are there any that do, as I'm an apple man.

I do like the idea of just leaving it connected and operating it through Bluetooth.

Nick.

wink

DashCommand app on iphone and a wifi dongle from ebay works fine for me with iphone. Total cost about £21. For Apple devices you need the wifi dongle, not bluetooth. It's not a good idea to leave the dongle in the OBD II socket because it flattens the battery, but it only takes seconds to plug it in & connect with an iphone or ipad.

campagnolo

Bluetooth on iOS doesn't support the serial data transfer profile, which is the usual way to transmit data electronically between systems. Android does support it. Hence most OBD software for iOS uses WiFi to receive data from the OBD scanner, and most Android apps use BT. A compromise that can work on some iOS devices is Bluetooth LE: a few combinations of OBD scanner (supporting BLE) and OBD iOS app work over Bluetooth, but the vast majority don't. This is also why some older Mac laptops don't support AirDrop properly. There is also a OBD scanner with USB output that'll sometimes work with an iOS app.

The problem with WiFi is that your iOS now thinks your OBD dongle is the internet. Because you can't tell your delightful iPhone to keep using 3G for internet, maps, email, Spotify, etc.