GS clutch wear

Panicracing

Just had car serviced and clutch was 11% worn. Clutch has done 3800 miles from a full replacement so I think that's pretty fair for a mixed bag of driving conditions. In theory should get approx 35000 miles on a clutch which I don't think is to bad. In the real world will most likely be a lot less or end up with a tang failure. Also to note I'm running an FD DBW module which elimates a lot of slip on initial take off and much more positive engagement up and down the box.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

StuartW

Just had car serviced and clutch was 11% worn. Clutch has done 3800 miles from a full replacement so I think that's pretty fair for a mixed bag of driving conditions. In theory should get approx 35000 miles on a clutch which I don't think is to bad. In the real world will most likely be a lot less or end up with a tang failure. Also to note I'm running an FD DBW module which elimates a lot of slip on initial take off and much more positive engagement up and down the box.

Yes, that sounds a fair assessment.

Did you have the DBW module fitted so have you experienced the before and after differences of having one against not? Be interested to hear your take on it

Panicracing

Yes, that sounds a fair assessment.

Did you have the DBW module fitted so have you experienced the before and after differences of having one against not? Be interested to hear your take on it
DBW was fitted May last year. Clutch was fitted spring 15 so had about 1500 miles on it when DBW fitted. DBW makes massive difference on pick up with little or no slip. On changes definatly more positive and aggresive but not a huge differance. I'm more than happy with approx 10% wear for every 3500 miles. Cost me about £2.5k for new clutch as changed everything right down to rear crank oil seal by Dick Lovett. Works out at approx 7p mile for clutch wear and tear.

voicey

The actual wear will be less than 11% as new clutches start with 3-4% wear from the outset. For nearly 4k miles your are doing well and it would seem that the clutch has been set up properly.

conaero

Forum Owner
Voicey is that the acid test for non premature clutch tang failure then?

Can you explain what the correct setup involves?

StuartW

DBW was fitted May last year. Clutch was fitted spring 15 so had about 1500 miles on it when DBW fitted. DBW makes massive difference on pick up with little or no slip. On changes definatly more positive and aggresive but not a huge differance. I'm more than happy with approx 10% wear for every 3500 miles. Cost me about £2.5k for new clutch as changed everything right down to rear crank oil seal by Dick Lovett. Works out at approx 7p mile for clutch wear and tear.

Interesting, thanks

The actual wear will be less than 11% as new clutches start with 3-4% wear from the outset. For nearly 4k miles your are doing well and it would seem that the clutch has been set up properly.

Mine was read at 2.9% worn after a handful of miles following the Maserati GB fitted it at Slough so hopefully they know how to set it up properly!

Panicracing

Cars looked after by an ex Dick Lovett tech now but clutch was done at Dick Lovett by Maserati master tech who I know is one of the best, sadly the chap is now very ill and unable to work.

Panicracing

Voicey is that the acid test for non premature clutch tang failure then?

Can you explain what the correct setup involves?
Would be interesting to know this. Speaking to the Indy that serviced the car I asked him about cars that have had the wear rate re set. He said to me that he can tell if a car has had this done if you know what your looking for. Also I feel since service the pick up and gear change is much smoother. Is there any adjustments made during the clutch life. Maybe Its psychological after parting with a few quid