4cs

Hunter

Hi guys, I live in the uk and presently have a Porsche 997 carrera c4s. It's a great car but if I'm honest it's not a special as I thought it was going to be and I wish that I had bought a Cayman a 981 instead. Just recently I have been drawn to the grantourismo, but in my price range it would probably be a 4.2 auto 2008 or 9. What would I miss about the Porsche? It's an auto, I use it as my daily driver and have done so with all my special cars... including a try tamora ( I loved this car) please any advice would be appreciated and also is there a Bluetooth solution for the car? Is it easy to fit after market high etc. Cheers guys.
Hunter

conaero

Forum Owner
Find yourself another £7~10k and buy a 4.7MC Shift is the only advise I could give you.

Then you will find that all this talk of Italian cars have soul is not a myth.

m1980k

http://www.evo.co.uk/group-tests/14212/maserati-gransport

"The GranSport isn't just the car that keen drivers like us have always wished the Maserati was, it's now a GT that has the measure of the Jaguar XJR and BMW 645i. And even if I was considering a 911, the stylish and much rarer Maser would be very tempting. New 997 Carrera S versus GranSport? That's a twin-test whose conclusion I wouldn't put money on"

CatmanV2

http://www.evo.co.uk/group-tests/14212/maserati-gransport

"The GranSport isn't just the car that keen drivers like us have always wished the Maserati was, it's now a GT that has the measure of the Jaguar XJR and BMW 645i. And even if I was considering a 911, the stylish and much rarer Maser would be very tempting. New 997 Carrera S versus GranSport? That's a twin-test whose conclusion I wouldn't put money on"

I would. The 911 will win because it's a 911

C

m1980k

I would. The 911 will win because it's a 911

C

Yes, but even if the GS comes close in terms of handling etc and just gets pipped by the 997 in Evo, it still has the Porsche beaten on account of the way it looks, sounds and makes you feel. If the OP has a 997 that doesn't feel special enough he might like to consider the GS... that's the decision I made.

CatmanV2

Yes, but even if the GS comes close in terms of handling etc and just gets pipped by the 997 in Evo, it still has the Porsche beaten on account of the way it looks, sounds and makes you feel. If the OP has a 997 that doesn't feel special enough he might like to consider the GS... that's the decision I made.

Oh I agree. I'd have a GS any day. But the 911 will always win in the mainstream media

C

m1980k

The interesting thing is that the group test never happened. As far as I can see there were a few reviews of the GS when launched and that was about it. Very much under the radar/victim of non-existent PR.

Andyk

Find yourself another £7~10k and buy a 4.7MC Shift is the only advise I could give you.

Then you will find that all this talk of Italian cars have soul is not a myth.

This is good advice....My only concern after the Porsche is that the 4.2 will feel a tad heavy and ...... a dare I say slow....It's a great car but a very, very different car to your Porsche.....Get a 4.7 and it with hit all your senses.

MrMickS

Prices are starting to drop a little on 4Cs. Almost getting down to near what people thought the initial price was going to be when it was announced.

Still more money than I'd be tempted to pay though.

Hunter

Thanks guys, to be fair as long as the car can get along the road reasonably quickly I'm not really looking for out and out speed, I've had fast cars of over 600 bhp and its not what I'm about these days...im looking for a sense of occasion, a great sound track and something other petrol heads tip their hats to. Im underwhelmed by the C$S and found the Cayman S to be superior in every way, but couldn't get used to the poor mans 911 image. Is the 4.2 ford mondoe paced or is it just the slowest of the fast cars? Sense of occasion wise my TVR Tamora was hard to beat, outrageous looks and sound.

zagatoes30

Comparing a GTS and a 997 911 is madness, they are totally different and in my mind tick different boxes. As an everyday driver the 911 will probably win out but for something that tugs your heartstrings the Maser will always win. It comes down to Head or Heart and which drives you the most IMO

After a NA Porsche, the GT 4.2 will feel like a heavy barge. If you are wanting a GT then save more and go for the 4.7 S car with auto or MC shift.

Alternatively consider a GranSport or 4200 Coupe alongside the C4S.

I have a 996 Turbo that is like a missile. Nothing simply touches it - the torque and boost is phenomenal. But sound? Like a whoosh of a vacuum cleaner. But it gives a stomach-lifting kick like a spark on cordite in a bullet. Its running 450bhp and torque of 620Nm (457 ftlb). The GS is down on torque and power but is a great car and great pleasure - the CambioCorsa box, the sound (especially in sports mode) and a different set of styling curves and a beautiful quality of full leather interior.

If you part with 4S, a GS or 4200 coupe might be good choices.
If you really want a GT then I'd say you will need to consider a 4.7 S car especially after a Porsche.

Andyk

Thanks guys, to be fair as long as the car can get along the road reasonably quickly I'm not really looking for out and out speed, I've had fast cars of over 600 bhp and its not what I'm about these days...im looking for a sense of occasion, a great sound track and something other petrol heads tip their hats to. Im underwhelmed by the C$S and found the Cayman S to be superior in every way, but couldn't get used to the poor mans 911 image. Is the 4.2 ford mondoe paced or is it just the slowest of the fast cars? Sense of occasion wise my TVR Tamora was hard to beat, outrageous looks and sound.

You will get the sense of occasion and a great sound from the 4.2 that is not in doubt ..... O to 60 is around 5.2 and the quarter mile 13.4...but although that's only part of the story it sort of sets the scene. It's a GT car and not a sports car and Maserati has never been about being the fastest or best in class. It's something completely different that you will get or not get once you have driven one. The 4.2 will fell rather heavy though as said above....Best bet get a test drive a 4.2 and see what you think. Then try a 4.7 and see what you think but once driven you'll want a 4.7.

Hunter

Im starting to build a picture in my head now..so basically i do alot of motorway miles, ..Nottingham to Inverness is my most regular journey. I would also use the car as a daily driver and this means driving in town and to tescos etc. I wont be doing track days and only occasional spirited B roads on a Sunday. I like auto cars but find the Tip system on the Porsche a bit slow witted. Just how under powered is the 4.2? Is the MC a complete manual or semi? Is it the Torque of the 4.7 that gives it better in gear performance because the 0-60 figures are quite similar to the 4.2. On the comfort and tech side..is there a bluetooth solution for phone connection on earlier car ( for taking calls). I love the look of the GT so im not really looking at the GS. The GT is what i consider what i got out of driving my Tamora...i loved the occasion but i dont think a GT will want to kill me.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
If you do big miles, for your type of motoring a 4.2 would be ok, I would see if you can stretch to a low mileage 4.7 S Auto, its much smoother and more torquey and the brakes are far better. It will also be a year or two newer. Regards Bluetooth, you'll need a Parrot or similar, if it does have Bluetooth fitted, it's useless anyway.