More QPV GTS questions

m1980k

The threads featuring QPV GTSs (the 4.2 version) at the top and bottom of the market has got me thinking about perhaps buying one when the right spec car comes up. Got a couple of questions:

1) Are the parts unique to the GTS (brakes and dampers) much more expensive than those on the standard car? Can't find them on Eurospares.

2) How does the standard exhaust on a QP compare with the standard system on my GS? Is it much more quiet and am I going to need valved Larinis to get the combination of quiet cruising with decent volume at high revs?

Wack61

Brakes are definitely a lot more expensive, FD are the only company other than maserati that make them

I think they're the same as on the 4.7 , discs are around £1200 a pair

Ewan

Some of the parts that are unique to the GTS are actually cheaper. For example, the fixed rate Bilstein sport dampers are less than the skyhook jobs on the standard cars.

The brakes are financially fine also. My GTS is currently being serviced and having new rear brake discs fitted tomorrow. They are actually available at about £300 a pair, not £1200. Which is good news!

The exhaust on the GTS is, as far as I am aware, the same as on the standard QP (other than having the darkened tips). I had Tubi rear boxes on one of my standard QP's and found it too loud on the motorway (but good fun on short hoon about). But of course, exhaust sound and volume is a very personal and subjective choice. I don't feel the need to make my GTS any louder. But if Phil or Benny had it, I am sure they would want to!

If you are looking for one, here's the link to the thread with some details on mine, which is currently for sale: http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/showthread.php/24099-QP-GTS-available-(briefly)

m1980k

Thanks Ewan. Does indeed look like the rear discs are more reasonable than fronts.

I'm very much aware that your car is for sale :) . But if I got a QP, I'd probably be looking at a leggier example with a darker interior. I don't use the GS enough with the family, partly due to the faff involved in getting small kids in and out of the back, which isn't worth it for a trip to the shops. (and the little buggers love scuffing the rubbery surface on the rear of the front seats with their shoes..) So I'd want a QP to be more of a workhorse. Should probably drive a Sport GT and a GTS and then wait to see what comes on the market. I'm also considering a Merc E63, but would prefer something that not only has a great engine, but also doesn't look like a Frankfurt taxi.