GS on piston heads

safrane

Seriously cheap GS...makes you wonder if prices really are on the up or just being talked of that way given the other low priced on earlier this month.

m1980k

Perhaps people are getting trade in offers of around 20k and then trying to get a bit more privately for a quick sale and into a new car for the summer?

rockits

Bonkers that a newer QP is 5k-7.5k less. Maybe there is a divide forming for the good but average miles ones compared to the best lower miles GS's.

allandwf

or maybe it's that the market is so small that if you want a quick sale, rather than wait for certain buyer who wants your spec car.price it low so others who were thinking about it but undecided will take a punt.

m1980k

It is a tech cloth car, so full leather price would be 24k+

QPs are cheaper because they're saloons....

allandwf

This always struck me as odd as soon as you mention "cloth" it seems to have a stigma. Alcantara doesn't and it's also "cloth".

jayblue

or maybe it's that the market is so small that if you want a quick sale, rather than wait for certain buyer who wants your spec car.price it low so others who were thinking about it but undecided will take a punt.

I would agree with this. Not everyone wants to spend a lot on advertising and wait months for a sale. Considering they are regarded as pretty hard to sell privately I think it is good to see that recent privately advertised cars have all sold so quickly.

rockits

QP's are cheaper because they are saloons. Is that true?

Dearer to buy new & cheaper to buy 2nd hand. Better finished & better built it seems so the best bargain out of all Masers some would say.

jayblue

Good job you're never selling yours Jay !! Bargain that you got it for !! :)

Yeah nearly three years on and she is still running sweetly. Had to have some work done along the way but nothing too expensive or that I wasn't prepared for. Love your Strad by the way!

Andyk

Dearer to buy new & cheaper to buy 2nd hand. Better finished & better built it seems so the best bargain out of all Masers some would say.

That's probably right...look at big salons from most companies and especially big engine ones they do tend to drop like a stone over the years against what is perceived to be the sexier coupe in the range......QP for me was one of Maserati's best ever cars and the currently the best used buy. Plus it's a more modern car than the GS as it was a completely brand new car back in 2005 where as the GS was built on a platform from 1997. But reality is that the GS will always be the more desirable car for most.

m1980k

This always struck me as odd as soon as you mention "cloth" it seems to have a stigma. Alcantara doesn't and it's also "cloth".

Perhaps it's because the full leather was a cost option? When I was new to Maseratis 18 months ago I wanted a full leather interior, the safer option. Now some of the tech cloth combos have grown on me. Rightly or wrongly, though, the tech cloth is perceived to be interior by some people, not as classy. Seem to remember it didn't go down well with the press reviewers either. Personally, I would have preferred half leather/half alcantara - MCV interiors look awesome.

I don't think I'm saying anything radical. Big saloons always depreciate faster than sports cars and coupes. Probably because people are more willing to pay higher maintainance costs on a special weekend sports car.

m1980k

Of course, once we get out of second hand car territory and into the classic age bracket in a decade or two, a good QPV could be worth a lot. It is possibly the most desirable saloon ever made and could be the most valuable. The 3200, GS and Strad are nice cars, but the QPV is an all-time great versus peers and has more mainstream recognition.

Ebenezer

At 5K miles a year mine, will be over 100K by then.... and have cost 15K-25+K on servicing and bills (not to mention tax, insurance, petrol)
Don't think mine will be one of the valuable ones!

But I will have definitely enjoyed the journey

Eb

outrun

Yeah nearly three years on and she is still running sweetly. Had to have some work done along the way but nothing too expensive or that I wasn't prepared for. Love your Strad by the way!

Cheers.

You bought the GS at a good time for the prices I think. Should be worth more than you paid currently and yes, there are some bills to keep them good but it's much more fun to spend on keeping something nice than it is to lose it on depreciation on the drive!!