2018 Maserati Granturismo revealed at NYSE

outrun

What a load of shite. The press release is utter dross, clearly written by an intern at an overpaid marketing company. Like the market will suddenly feel the need to chop in our old GTs for a new one because it has "a user-friendly, double rotary knob, made of forged aluminium". I've a mate that has a metal knob.....

I suspect that the USA cars, as mentioned, may be a little different as they offered an MC version which was a watered down Stradale as the Stradale was never offered there. They have basically taken a Stradale, changed the nose minorly, added an average sat nav and speaker set that Waze destroys for free and a shiny new knob. No more power, zero innovation. Not even new alloys as they are 2013 Stradale options too. Seriously, the Gas Monkey boys could have done that facelift and ICE upgrade in a week, too Maserati 5 years to get round to it.

It's a bit like when Porsche added the aerokit to the Carrera S. It's not a GT3. Never will be. And this is not a Stradale, it's a 10 minute facelift and nothing to be proud of. The Stradale didn't need a facelift.

Telling that they refer to the Alfieri as a concept, probably nailing it down to history and what could have been.

Also telling that they produced a car from 1962 to sell the heritage again. Nothing really significant with a trident on it has won a race (with any other brands in the same field) since the 70s. What the F are they afraid of. I mean, Honda can't build an F1 car that finished a race but they are still trying and being seen to try.

We are all just back from Le Mans - wouldn't you have LOVED to see a Trofeo Strad running against the Corvettes, 911s, 488s and the like? They are not even brave enough to try that. I wouldn't care if it came dead last, I'd cheer and whoop every time one went by.

I utterly love my Stradale and I urge everyone who can to beg, borrow and steal to buy one because there will be nothing like it again in the next decade. Maybe never.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Personally, I prefer the look of the new one, especially the front. It's a pity they couldn't scrap those sh!tty Mondeo rear lights while they were at it.

newGTS

So far not so good:

http://www.maserati.com/maserati/international/en/brand/Tales-of-GranTurismo

Disappointing to see the stunted awkward front-end from the latest models tacked on to the last of the Pininfarina designs. Looking at the Alfieri concept, it would seem Ramaciotti and Tencone are capable of beautiful work, but the production designs are just abysmal- the first time I saw a Ghibli in the metal, I couldn't believe the random "sculpting" lines hamfistedly stamped into the rear doors and quarter panels. The Levante's side profile is absurdly proportioned even by SUV standards, and the new shiny flat plastic Trident badges scream design and engineering done on the cheap. Meanwhile Alfa gets a billion euros to put into the Giorgio platform and a far better executed design in the Giulia. Stop treating Maserati like a poor relation- Ferrari understandably needs to protect its high ground, but Maserati is a storied marque that readily goes head to head with Aston Martin. The DB9 and Granturismo are the two most beautiful designs of the modern era- masterfully executed elegance, voluptuousness, and aggressiveness all at once- but neither brand can rest on laurels that are over a decade old at this point, and I far prefer Aston's course of action.

Wattie

To my eye it's lost the subtle feminine curves of the old one.....and is worse off for it.
Bad angular nose job too.
Shame.
Cheers Wattie

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I like the front but not with the rest of the car. The rear 4/5s are feminine and fantastic and subtle and the front's gone all angular. It just doesn't hang well together, in my view.

Anyone buying new will doubtless be delighted but for the rest of us I don't see it being worth a trade in. Which, on balance, is a good thing.

safrane

Agreed... a curvy body needs the same in its trim.

Does any one else recall the last versions of the Rover 75? They did the same there with angular edges to plastic trim and all the extras as standard...that went well!

bigbob

Nope, Strad front is better.

I've tried to be objective and am not saying because I have one but it screams of change for change sake.

+1 Strad has the best front of all the variations. One the one hand it's a shame this means front parking sensors are out but on the other it doesn't matter since they are **** on the GranTurismo. In fact most things on the GranTurismo that are **** involve the Italians inability to use electricity properly.

Soleith

Hmm, I'll be at Goodwood tomorrow for the announcement there so assume this will be it. I bought one of the last ones in December and although I wouldn't have considered trading it in yet no matter what they produced, I can genuinely say I prefer the look of my GTS thus far, hopefully they'll have one there in the flesh I can get a good look at.

iainw

What a load of shite. The press release is utter dross, clearly written by an intern at an overpaid marketing company. Like the market will suddenly feel the need to chop in our old GTs for a new one because it has "a user-friendly, double rotary knob, made of forged aluminium". I've a mate that has a metal knob.....

I suspect that the USA cars, as mentioned, may be a little different as they offered an MC version which was a watered down Stradale as the Stradale was never offered there. They have basically taken a Stradale, changed the nose minorly, added an average sat nav and speaker set that Waze destroys for free and a shiny new knob. No more power, zero innovation. Not even new alloys as they are 2013 Stradale options too. Seriously, the Gas Monkey boys could have done that facelift and ICE upgrade in a week, too Maserati 5 years to get round to it.

It's a bit like when Porsche added the aerokit to the Carrera S. It's not a GT3. Never will be. And this is not a Stradale, it's a 10 minute facelift and nothing to be proud of. The Stradale didn't need a facelift.

Telling that they refer to the Alfieri as a concept, probably nailing it down to history and what could have been.

Also telling that they produced a car from 1962 to sell the heritage again. Nothing really significant with a trident on it has won a race (with any other brands in the same field) since the 70s. What the F are they afraid of. I mean, Honda can't build an F1 car that finished a race but they are still trying and being seen to try.

We are all just back from Le Mans - wouldn't you have LOVED to see a Trofeo Strad running against the Corvettes, 911s, 488s and the like? They are not even brave enough to try that. I wouldn't care if it came dead last, I'd cheer and whoop every time one went by.

I utterly love my Stradale and I urge everyone who can to beg, borrow and steal to buy one because there will be nothing like it again in the next decade. Maybe never.

Agree totally.

MrCoop

I haven't read any of the past 6 pages but I will say, what a crock of sh*t!! Why bother with a fanfare when all that's been changed are a couple of cosmetics, which IMO make the car look worse. Seriously, Maserati have diluted the brand/image chasing the lower end of the market and losing sight of what the brand actually is....an exotic Italian sports car manufacturer....I have no desire whatsoever to purchase a new Maserati and unless I get a two seater Strad, I don't think I'll bother owning another Maserati again.

bigbob

I haven't read any of the past 6 pages but I will say, what a crock of sh*t!! Why bother with a fanfare when all that's been changed are a couple of cosmetics, which IMO make the car look worse. Seriously, Maserati have diluted the brand/image chasing the lower end of the market and losing sight of what the brand actually is....an exotic Italian sports car manufacturer....I have no desire whatsoever to purchase a new Maserati and unless I get a two seater Strad, I don't think I'll bother owning another Maserati again.

Let's see what happens in 2020 or thereabouts. There is a slightly above statistically insignificant chance that they produce something that we coupe/convertible drivers really want. If they don't then I will have to buy a F type. I may have to act earlier than that mind as I was looking under the rear of my car the other day trying to further lubricate the shite valved back box 'design' they fitted to my car and 30,000 others and noticed that the underside looks a bit like those first photos of the Titanic when they found it 30+ years ago...

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see what happens in 2020 or thereabouts. There is a slightly above statistically insignificant chance that they produce something that we coupe/convertible drivers really want. If they don't then I will have to buy a F type. I may have to act earlier than that mind as I was looking under the rear of my car the other day trying to further lubricate the shite valved back box 'design' they fitted to my car and 30,000 others and noticed that the underside looks a bit like those first photos of the Titanic when they found it 30+ years ago...

Most of it's pretty good, generally. A wire brush and some decent rust-fixing underbody gloop will sort it out. The worst part are those bloody awful plates which bolt on just aft of the front wheels. Happily they're a cheap replacement from Eurospares.

As for the F-type, I do keep getting drawn to them but they lack the "special" feel of being in any kind of Maser. It's terrible to say, but it would feel like a downgrade.

Ian996

While I love the Strad rear-end, I think the grill is a step backwards aesthetically..I agree that it looks overly aggressive, and detracts from the overall balance of the original.

All things considered (Including the infotainment system), I'm glad I didn't wait for the new shape.

bigbob

Most of it's pretty good, generally. A wire brush and some decent rust-fixing underbody gloop will sort it out. The worst part are those bloody awful plates which bolt on just aft of the front wheels. Happily they're a cheap replacement from Eurospares.

As for the F-type, I do keep getting drawn to them but they lack the "special" feel of being in any kind of Maser. It's terrible to say, but it would feel like a downgrade.

Thanks for that. I agree on the F type , it is from a cheaper price point but in 2 years time comparing a new/nearly new one of them with my 8 year old 60k mile GranTurismo at the time it might be a 'downgrade' that feels nice.

conaero

Forum Owner
The only plus from the final phase is the infotainment. I am sure it will be retro fit but you just need to weigh up the circa £6k cost I suspect which will be dead money come resale.

My plan of Strad for 3 years then into a new Maserati Alf/GTS is still on track but it needs to be premium, petrol only and the Cali 6T min, 8T pref as the S with gorgeous looks and not a Ghibli S rehash.

Maserati, please listen to your customers and not the accountants?

Take Alfa, it's customers screamed for RWD V6 for a decade, they did it and and was an instant success. You can't pull the wool over the eyes of wealthy, intelligent, passionate people the will simply see through it and go elsewhere, probably Alfa.

bigbob

The only plus from the final phase is the infotainment. I am sure it will be retro fit but you just need to weigh up the circa £6k cost I suspect which will be dead money come resale.

Got any photos of the new interior?