2018 Maserati Granturismo revealed at NYSE

newGTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4TJZpp1Ns

At first glance, it appears to have been stripped of its Pininfarina badges, and rightfully so. The clunky graceless front and rear fascia updates continue the recent trend of new Maseratis that look like knockoffs rather than models authentic to the brand; thankfully there was simply no way for them to ruin the fundamentally gorgeous shape and proportions, sorely lacking from all the new models. Hopefully it has at least been spared the unfathomably cheap looking plastic trident badge from the Ghibli, Quattroporte, and Levante. Can't help feeling like the investment that went to Alfa Romeo should have started with Maserati, and trickled down from there, rather than visa versa- the marque has lost considerable luster chasing downmarket sales, competing with BMW and Mercedes, when those brands should have been left to Alfa, leaving Maserati to play with Aston Martin. Let's hope the update looks a lot better in the official photos to come.

Wack61

Not being clued up on the intricate detailing of the Granturismo it looks to me like all the others, I doubt anyone except a Maserati geek would notice it was any different to any other Granturismo

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that.

It's a Strad on the outside but with a new name, or have I missed something more fundamental?

StuartW

Thanks for posting
It appears to be very similar to the Stradale but with the front sensors and minus the carbon ceramic brakes. Too bad we didn't get to look inside to see if the new Jeep infotainment is on board but I assume it will be?

FF1078

Slightly different grill more like the current Maser offereings but apart from that I cant tell much.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting
It appears to be very similar to the Stradale but with the front sensors and minus the carbon ceramic brakes. Too bad we didn't get to look inside to see if the new Jeep infotainment is on board but I assume it will be?

Maranello told me the new model would have the new infotainment system. From my point of view the old one's fine. I use a TomTom satnav which works perfectly and have moosic on a memory stick in the USB port which I can control from the steering wheel. No need to drop 50k on a new Granturismo to get a new infotainment wotsit. And a new shaped grill. I like the Strad styling very much, but would prefer to have it on an actual Strad, given the choice.

StuartW

Maranello told me the new model would have the new infotainment system. From my point of view the old one's fine. I use a TomTom satnav which works perfectly and have moosic on a memory stick in the USB port which I can control from the steering wheel. No need to drop 50k on a new Granturismo to get a new infotainment wotsit. And a new shaped grill. I like the Strad styling very much, but would prefer to have it on an actual Strad, given the choice.

Agreed Adam - I get on fine with the navigation and have Google maps on my phone if need be, plus an atlas in the door pocket. To keep up the old school theme, I also still play music off CDs which I load onto the hard drive so I don't need anything that high tech.
And yes, I prefer an actual Stradale too - this is a wannabe!

CatmanV2

Definitely different grill
Wing vents appear narrower
Not at all sure about those wheels either

C

conaero

Forum Owner
Er, cant really see any different and from the quick shot through the window it looks like it has the same NIT.

Bonnet scoops are bigger, wheels are the same and no carbon brakes, am I missing something?

GeoffCapes

No chrome on the side vents. Different vents either side of the grill. Different skirts on the side?

Other than that, can't see much different.

They're the Strad alloys I don't like.

DrNic

I didn't think the old Stradale had pininfarina badges either??
I agree it's a Stradale look a like. New front end.
Has the same infotainment as the Levante (touch screen).
Same 4.7 engine. No ceramic brake option. Bose has been ditched in favour of harmon kardon and comfort pack comes as standard.
That's all the info I've got from my sales guy at Lancaster Maserati. He saw it in Milan about a week ago.
I'll reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh. At least it will fill the gap until they made the alfieri in 2020+ ;)

Nic

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

midlifecrisis

I've checked the settings of my works PC and speakers...it's very quiet..is it electric...

The website says how wonderful Maserati were with 70 years of heritage, the last 10 years were Granturismo in various forms! What about now where's the next one? The one that EVERYONE wants to have not a rehash of the old one. I thought Rover were bad with the Rover 100 sorry Metro...

safrane

The last comments re Rover/Metro are not to far from the mark...new model is just changed plastics with no body work changes. The only saving grace is the shape remains the same.

Not keen on the Ghibli esc grill and still prefer the original 4.2 shape... which is a bit of a theam as I felt the same about the 4200 too.