More of the same?

MrMickS

Another interview with Reid Bigland (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...nd-interview-alfieri-3844336.html/kommentare/) which seems to confirm that the Alfieri and new GT/GC are on the cards but with no real idea of dates. The GT/GC will be 2+2 whilst the Alfieri will be a 2 seat sports car.

There were a couple of interesting things here. The apparent reason for no engine change in the GT refresh is that customers still want N/A V8s. So perhaps there is a bit of listening going on here. The other is that no autonomous driving as people don't buy Maserati's to be chauffeured around. I've heard similar things about Alfa Romeo in the past. We shall see.

m1980k

Yes, but every single road test of the new GT will mention that it's 100bhp+ down on the M6, S63, Continental, DB11 etc. People do want N/A engines, but also ones with power on a par with peers as is the case for Lamborghinis and Audi R8s. I actually think he's talking BS. New car buyers in this sector want a turbo V8 with 550bhp or a V12. And we all know that the GT replacement isn't going to get a Ferrari V12, which would create a cheaper and potentially prettier GTC4 competitor.

bigbob

Another interview with Reid Bigland (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...nd-interview-alfieri-3844336.html/kommentare/) which seems to confirm that the Alfieri and new GT/GC are on the cards but with no real idea of dates. The GT/GC will be 2+2 whilst the Alfieri will be a 2 seat sports car.

There were a couple of interesting things here. The apparent reason for no engine change in the GT refresh is that customers still want N/A V8s. So perhaps there is a bit of listening going on here. The other is that no autonomous driving as people don't buy Maserati's to be chauffeured around. I've heard similar things about Alfa Romeo in the past. We shall see.

AM tried the same a few years ago with an interview claiming that customers still wanted the 6 speed rather than 8 speed ZF. Of course two years later they were telling us how brilliant the 8 speed box was. I can't even be bothered to read it as it will be the usual holding interview until they get sorted. Sure they are doing exceptionally well in overall units sold but they are making too much Chicken Korma at the moment.

outrun

Em, they have a 523bhp turbo 3.8 v8 in the quattroporte gts. I guess they forgot.

bigbob

Em, they have a 523bhp turbo 3.8 v8 in the quattroporte gts. I guess they forgot.

The lowest volume production engine they have made for years. Largely (and I used that word appropriately in the context of the installation) because they only put it in the QP...

MrMickS

The lowest volume production engine they have made for years. Largely (and I used that word appropriately in the context of the installation) because they only put it in the QP...

Yup. I really don't understand not having this engine as an option in the GT refresh.

StuartW

It seems strange to have the GT as a 2+2 when the Alfieri would be a 2 seater. Surely with a 2 seater being produced, the GT must have 4 seats otherwise they are going to limit their market. To me, a true GT should have useable rear seats and not occasional ones?

MrMickS

They want to sell you the QP GTS if you want a 4 seater because they've spent quite a bit on making it and not many people are buying maybe?

bigbob

They want to sell you the QP GTS if you want a 4 seater because they've spent quite a bit on making it and not many people are buying maybe?

Charging £30k+ more than the V6 S will have something to do with it as well.

MemaAssuse

More of the same

maybe not, but it would have been much more interesting. If I remember right, McNabb and Westbrook were both in the single digits that day. I had one or two others starting too.