Car check needed

CatmanV2

Not spoke to garage but needing someone who knows the nuances of alfas to have a look before I travel 500 miles.;)

Hmm. Not sure about nuances but if someone points me in the right direction :)

I can tell you if I'd buy it.....

C

allandwf

It does look nice, but I would ask about the belt change. Opinion says it should be done at 36k, so I would want to see it had been done at least once.

conaero

Forum Owner
Great cars, check the front suspension noised over bumps and also the auto drop function on the front windows and the AC.

Rest is just tyres/brakes and service.

Oh, cambelt and low power and rattling bottom ends from rev down to idle but I guess you know these.

conaero

Forum Owner
TBF I do agree with Beau, the JTS is the poorest engine of the range and should be priced according.

A big fan of the 1.9JTD, powerful and economical its staggering really.

At start up, check for a siren sound, thats the vari vein turbo stuck, it can be freed with Mr Muscle. Also boot it hard right round the rev range and look for a SLOW down warning, thats also signs of over boost and clogged EGR valve. You can clean the EGR valve and you dont need to replace it.

Also check the turbo pipes have been changed and check the lower one for being wet. As well as splitting, they weaken and collapse under load, chocking the engine.

dem maser

Agree with Beau and Matt, if i was buying a GT it has to be the diesel.....its the best engine for that car, barring the V6, but i do prefer the V6 in a GTV........

highlander

Have to agree re the diesel version, that is what I have just now but did not know the petrol was not rated......hmm, back to drawing board although that white one does look really nice

allandwf

Have to agree re the diesel version, that is what I have just now but did not know the petrol was not rated......hmm, back to drawing board although that white one does look really nice
Yep same as the Brera, seems to be the diesel is the choice of most, economy and reasonable performance. I wouldn't say the JTS was a bad engine, it was based on the twinspark, but has more emissions stuff and stuff to go wrong.

MrMickS

I test drove the GT with the diesel when it came out. They gave me one for an afternoon and said there you go just drive it. After 5 years of driving Twin Spark Alfas I couldn't get to grips with it. Far too much gear changing for me. Took it back after an hour and passed on the GT.

highlander

Have never bought a car via eBay and tbh, that seller of the white GT does not fill me with confidence. Only cars he has for sale are accident damaged and no seller feedback that I can see. Think I'll pass and the hunt goes on.

highlander

Beautiful cars, good luck with your search.

They are beautiful, and underestimated as most Italians are. I have had Gina the smoker GT for 7 years now. She has been the best, most reliable car I've ever owned. 140k and only service and wear and tear items. Now I have accepted I've pansied out of storing marci because I can't give the "twins" up, I can't think of another car I'd rather drive daily for this price.