Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage floors - tiles or epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Thought I'd provide an update....

Today was step 1 of my garage makeover, which was to clear everything out....

Tomorrow I will be painting the walls, and later in the week I'm having 3 coats of light grey Epoxy Matt Coat applied to the floor (http://www.watco.co.uk/epoxy-matt-co...oor-paint.html)

Here is a couple of before pics...
    Great job, you've not a nice big space there.
    Tony

Current - 3200, BMW X3, Ford BMax Titanium.

Whilst we are on the subject of garages - has anyone had electric doors retrofitted. If anyone has, and can give an idea of cost + advice I would appreciate it.
    His: Ferrari California 30
    Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Lux+

Hers: BMW X3

Past: Maserati GTS MC Shift
    BMW 330D Convertible
    Porsche Boxster S

I've changed up and over garage doors to sectional Hormann electric.
    Advantage being the sectional cone down vertically allowing parking right up to either side, which gains valuable length.
    Also can gain extra width too, as the door goes behind the wall, not between, which gains a couple of inches either side when driving into a garage, a definite bonus if a single width door.
    The sectional doors can be insulated, and I can testify in my garage a few years ago plus 8 inside, and minus 20 outside, with the two temperatures measured on either side of the door.
    When they are closed, they can't be easily forced open from the outside.
    The only negative is the fact they have to be mounted behind the wall, not between, and this can be a problem when retrofitting from a traditional up and over.
    I've had three retrofitted over the last 15 years, first thing we have done to a house.
    Mike

02 "Classico" 4200 CC Coupe
    74 Triumph Stag
    10 BMW 320d Touring M Sport
    15 Volvo V40 D4 R-Design

Past Italians: FIAT Panda, Lancia Y10 Fire, Lancia Y10 Turbo, Alfa Romeo 33S 16V Cloverleaf Permanent 4, Alfa Romeo 146 Ti

I had my old wooden doors replaced with a Horman electric roller, it was insulated plus two remote controls. This was two years ago cost was £1681.68. If you want some pics let me know and I'll do it tomorrow. There is a manual override in case of no electricity, also I always turn the power off when away. I also fitted a new door to the rear so can enter from the garden.

One error was not considering an outside roller, as it gives you an extra length. This limits me to parking bigger cars so a GT or QP won't fit now.
    Tony

Current - 3200, BMW X3, Ford BMax Titanium.

Iain - I also have the Hofmann sectional doors, and they were £3100 for two. The biggest fact in the cost is their size, and whether you go for a standard size. Our original quote was £4,300, but this was mainly because we had specced an extra wide size, and when we went back to a standard 2.7m width, this reduced the price by almost £1k...
    His: 2012 Med Blu Granturismo S
    Hers: 2016 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by redsonnylee View Post
    I had my old wooden doors replaced with a Horman electric roller, it was insulated plus two remote controls. This was two years ago cost was £1681.68. If you want some pics let me know and I'll do it tomorrow. There is a manual override in case of no electricity, also I always turn the power off when away. I also fitted a new door to the rear so can enter from the garden.

One error was not considering an outside roller, as it gives you an extra length. This limits me to parking bigger cars so a GT or QP won't fit now.
    Pics would be great mate thanks.
    I was hoping to keep the costs down a bit so it wouldn't eat in to the GTO Grill / Splitters fund.
    Its becoming a necessity though as I often can't be bothered to get out to open the doors. :/

BMW 330D Convertible
    Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Iain - I also have the Hofmann sectional doors, and they were £3100 for two. The biggest fact in the cost is their size, and whether you go for a standard size. Our original quote was £4,300, but this was mainly because we had specced an extra wide size, and when we went back to a standard 2.7m width, this reduced the price by almost £1k...

Holy **** thats quite a bit. I have an 'over and under' if thats what its called - and enough space , so it might be more cost effective to fit a motorised component? I do like the Hofmann sectional doors though. Look very cool. I might get some when the house itself is finished.

BMW 330D Convertible
    Porsche Boxster S

Below is a picture of 1 of mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    His: 2012 Med Blu Granturismo S
    Hers: 2016 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Nice looking for sure. Looking forward to seeing your floor too mate- mine definitely needs doing.
    What do most people do with the walls? Just paint or dot and dab and insulate?

BMW 330D Convertible
    Porsche Boxster S

I'm going to dot/dab/fix insulated plaster board on mine. I have done plasterboards a few times now using square edged 8 x 4 boards with a small double d round hockey stick/trim stuck over the joints. Then paint straight over. Saves plastering or taping/filling joints and gives a nice feature finish as well.
    2007 Maserati QP V Executive GT ZF Auto - Blu Nettuno
    2007 Maserati 4200 CC - Grigio Nuvolari
    2006 Volvo XC90 4.4 V8 SE LUX Auto - Dark Blue Metallic
    2011 Land Rover Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto - Metallic Grey
    2005 Alfa GT 3.2 V6 Busso Manual - Black
    1999 Mercedes SL500 Auto - Black
    1998 Peugeot 306 GTi-6 Manual - Silver

Now Gone: 2003 Maserati 4200/GS Hybrid Manual; 2011 Jaguar XJ; 2013 Focus ST-3, 2005 E55K 7 Seater Estate, 2005 E60 M5 V10, 1997 R129 SL60 AMG, 2003 R230 SL55 AMG, 2005 987 Boxster 3.2S Manual

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast