Ins question re exhaust

Kazzer

If you modify your exhaust should notify Insurers?
Had a bump tonight exhaust was done a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks
Karen

highlander

Check the fine print but I think most require to be notified. Play dumb only advice I can offer........but then, I am good at that ;)

RSM Masser

I did once for the motorbike, insurance wasn't interested they just said if I crashed I wouldn't get the race exhaust replaced- it would be with stock parts.
Later that year - I crashed it!
Took the Yoshimura system off and bolted the stock exhaust back on - the guy who picked it up looked a bit bemused as I had a brand new end can and road rash all over the bodywork on the same side!

Might sound abut odd with stock cans on one side and straight throughs on the other!

Kazzer

I had it done on my spider a couple of weeks ago it's louder and slightly quicker didn't think anything off it until tonight when someone went in the back.
The exhaust tips are out of line and pushed up, the repairer will see its not standard do
I call them back Ann see what they say?

RSM Masser

Tough call
Might be the misaligned bodywork rather than the exhaust.
I would see why the repairers say and keep schtum to the insurance

Ewan

If someone ran into the back of you, it's their insurance paying, and they need to pay to re-instate your car as is (non-standard exhaust and all). Lots of cars have non-standard parts (OEM etc.) and it maters not to the insurance. What maters is major performance mods like added turbos and chips, not a slightly louder exhaust.

And remember, for lots of old Masers, factory parts aren't available anyway. So non-standard or non-factory doesn't necessarily mean "modified".

StuartW

I have notified mine as it is only £20 extra on the premium - it seems very cheap compared to the hassle of dealing with insurers who are looking for any excuse not to pay out

redsonnylee

I notified mine when I put the Larinis on, £30 increase at the time. Something about increased cost over OEM in the event of accident damage.

allandwf

I notified mine when I put the Larinis on, £30 increase at the time. Something about increased cost over OEM in the event of accident damage.
I think I'll phone mine and tell them I have fitted cheap pattern parts to it, and look forward to a reduction in Premium! ;)