Alfa luck continues

spkennyuk

Its certainly recommended to change the water pump at the same time as the cambelt on the Alfa engine .

Its about £45 from memory for the part so its simply not worth having to do it all again if it fails or worse seizes.

I have always had the tensioners done at the same time as well.

MrMickS

Phoned the garage. They seemed to think that, with the rattling noises, it sounds like cambelt but say that they replaced both the main belt and the auxiliary as well as the tensioner and water pump. So are puzzled. The boss is off ill today but we will sort out getting the car to the workshop later in the week and take a look.

2b1ask1

Special case
I have to ask, had the motor been sitting for a while? The belts can stick to the pullies and then break up, it rattles like a goddun and sounds like ends, even had Duncan till he got it on the ramp!

Having experienced the 2.0 Twinny engine post cam belt failure; if it is indeed this, insist that the main and big end shells are replaced whilst the engine is out and the head is repaired. When it all goes wrong the big end shells get flattened and although it will sound ok when you run it if you dont have them changed they will go after 1,000 miles!!! Beau and others warned me of this but I ignored them and low and behold they went at 1,200 miles! Lesson learned I'm afraid.

Good luck with the repair.

conaero

Forum Owner
Also, if it is confirmed as cambelt/smashed valves, tell the repairing garage that you want the crank bearing shells changed too.

I have seen that 6months/year after a heavy cambelt failure the big ends go, due to the impact the piston hitting the valves and distorting the shells.

Its not your money to put it right by the sound of it so get it done properly, oh, and ask to see the new crank shells going in, DONT take their word for it have been done!

2b1ask1

Special case
Also, if it is confirmed as cambelt/smashed valves, tell the repairing garage that you want the crank bearing shells changed too.

I have seen that 6months/year after a heavy cambelt failure the big ends go, due to the impact the piston hitting the valves and distorting the shells.

Its not your money to put it right by the sound of it so get it done properly, oh, and ask to see the new crank shells going in, DONT take their word for it have been done!

This too!

MrMickS

I've had the problem with the big end and shells before, but thanks for reminding me. This is the second TS I've had that sounds like the cambelt has let go. The first one was rebuilt, but I only got a top end rebuild and it lasted around 1000 miles before starting to really struggle again. I px'd the car for the 156 sillyspeed.

@Newton. The car had done around 2000 miles in the last year, can't say when in the year they were done, but I had the belts replaced last week so they should have been good. So if its a belt failure its either a fitting issue or a defective part.

conaero

Forum Owner
My second cambelt skipped due to non secure fitting of the timing cover, drove over some debris with the under tray missing and it got sucked into the timing system.

Game over.

philw696

It won't be defective parts.
Sad to say it will be the installation of the parts unless your really unlucky and something else has failed.

MrMickS

The guy who owns the place I got the service and cambelt change done is still off ill. I have spoken to Turin Motors in Leeds though and they suggested pulling back the cam cover to see if the belt goes round when you turn it over. So I did that and it look to from what I can see. Popping the oil filler cap off I can see movement in there too but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I did take a little bit of video of me looking at it though in case anyone wants to comment :)

[video]https://youtu.be/1KN3n920SLw[/video]

sospanbach

hello mick, looks like your cam is moving which would confirm cambelt itself is ok not snapped, good news from that point of view anyway, good luck with getting it sorted regards dave

spkennyuk

The cam looks like its turning if you look through the oil filler cap but i cant see if the belt is turning ok or not. Movement of the black belt isnt really showing up on the video. It could be the belt has jumped a tooth or ripped a tooth off.

The belt must be moving to turn the cam but it could still be loose or have jumped a tooth.

Wack61

It might have only jumped a tooth, enough to make it not run but not enough for catastrophic contact hopefully