The Kiwi Stradale - rare as

foibles

I have a question for our Kiwi members – maybe someone cares to speculate (or enlighten, if you are so inspired and informed) as to ‘why is it so?'

There's been a bit of chat on the forum lately about the MC Stradale and what good value they are becoming – so I thought to have a quick look at prices, in UK, Aus and then NZ.

As is to be expected (sadly) – any car over here in Oz is a ludicrous pile of cash, but it got me to wondering why the few Stradales that I had seen advertised in NZ were (as much as one can draw a like-for-like comparison given such limited numbers) as cheap if not cheaper than in the UK?

Am I right in presuming that in the UK these cars cop a 20% VAT (but no duty as they are EU cars), whilst in NZ they only get slugged a 15% VAT?

By way of example;

NZ
2013 - $138K NZD (15K miles) – circa $130K AUD
2014 - $130K NZD (10K miles) – circa $123K AUD

AUS
2013 - $249K AUD (6K miles) (this is a pretty eye-watering difference to the Kiwi one above)
2011 - $175K AUD (8K miles)
2011 - $205K AUD (20K miles)
2012 - $195K AUD (20K miles)

UK
2011 – £68K GBP (14K miles) – circa $115K AUD
2014 - £75K GBP (20K miles) – circa $127K AUD (and plenty around this level)

Whilst clearly there is far more choice in the UK (options, colors, condition, etc) – on a relative basis, the Kiwi cars do seem a little cheaper (whilst here in Aus, as to be expected, they still cost an exorbitant sum of money).

I do so envy our Kiwi brethren!

mattjevans

Don't you have a "luxury car" tax in Oz ? 33% above $65k price.

Suspect that's why.

New Zealand only has standard GST on cars and no tariffs. I live in the UK but I'm a kiwi.

foibles

Don't you have a "luxury car" tax in Oz ? 33% above $65k price.

Yes, that's correct, we've maintained some relatively high tariffs over the years, and our luxury car tax is no exception.

Sadly, we've mastered, and been quite Machiavellian in so doing, the application of non-tariff trade restrictions, firstly based on limiting the eligibility of makes and models, then by applying great costs to adding vehicles to the eligibility kist, then by applying a slew of regulatory requirements per import, and finally demanding that vehicles adhere to our ADR's.....because, of course, one must recognise the primacy of australian engineering excellence over our japanese, british, german and american peers.

Ahem.

Whereas you kiwis had the collective intelligence to, at least in part, defer to EC standards (apparently in oz we can always reinvent better wheels).

I'm now at riskof sermonising about the evils of a federated political model, with 3 tiers. Best i simply restate my envy of you kiwis.

outrun

Yeh but your weather is better than ours.

I'm not sure I could live somewhere that prices me out of my Stradale for reasons that can only be government greed.

mattjevans

Yes, that's correct, we've maintained some relatively high tariffs over the years, and our luxury car tax is no exception.

Sadly, we've mastered, and been quite Machiavellian in so doing, the application of non-tariff trade restrictions, firstly based on limiting the eligibility of makes and models, then by applying great costs to adding vehicles to the eligibility kist, then by applying a slew of regulatory requirements per import, and finally demanding that vehicles adhere to our ADR's.....because, of course, one must recognise the primacy of australian engineering excellence over our japanese, british, german and american peers.

Ahem.

Whereas you kiwis had the collective intelligence to, at least in part, defer to EC standards (apparently in oz we can always reinvent better wheels).

I'm now at riskof sermonising about the evils of a federated political model, with 3 tiers. Best i simply restate my envy of you kiwis.

I forgot you still had tariffs too. A car that is $200k new in New Zealand (incl GST) would be $270k in Oz just on the tax maths before you look at other market restrictions

foibles

Yes that GS however is a classic 'statistical outlier' (even if there's only 1 in the dataset)

Strange that there are so many GT's - but none of the M138 to be seen in NZ?

philw696

The GS came from Singapore and as a result has been repainted and retrimmed due to humidity.
Actually owned by an English guy who has a few Maserati in Auckland.