Newbie, hopefully be an owner soon!

Mr Ed

Hi Guys, was directed over here from the Pistonheads Forum as they said it's pretty quiet over there.

So I currently have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, had it just over 18 months and I love it to pieces. It's only a weekend car as both the wife and i have company cars and have done 2 European Road trips in it and it is just faultless. I am a bit of a mileage snob however and it will be on 55k by the time I get back from Germany in September so wanting to change.

I have been test driving certain cars so far this summer, both more spacious and accommodating as the plan is hopefully to pop out a sprog at some point in the next 12 months (but can live without 4 doors). Drove a C63 507 edition which I did like alot, but was much quieter than I thought it would be (from the inside at least), also tried an RS4 Avant and RS5, less said about those the better, other than they're quite quick. M3/4/5 no doubt will be very fast but won't sound so good and be a bit dull too, plus most of the above are pretty common sites on the road these days.

So I keep looking at the Maser's because I really can't think of anything else that will come close to the drama, noise, rarity and road presence of my Vantage. Think a 4.7S with Skyhook is top of my wish list. Anybody here tell me if i'm looking at the wrong car?

Thanks in advance

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mr Ed, welcome! You are looking at exactly the right car. Go for a GTS and you'll have four fine seats and the best soundtrack on the planet. I've done a 2.5k mile 4-up Euro road-trip in mine and it was the best car I could imagine to have done it in. Test an auto and the MC / semi-automated box and make up your mind about which better suits your driving style. Dicky Grace is over your neck of the woods and has a solid reputation on here. If you're ever around west London then Nareman / Nuvola is also exceptional. For the right car be prepared to travel anyway.

Best of luck!

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Thanks for the recommendation FC.

Welcome aboard Mr Ed, I would echo what's been said, try both and see which you prefer. Allsorts to discuss on the cars, feel free to call me if you wish to know what's what.

Mr Ed

Daft question, but some adverts are slightly misleading... Does the normal auto have the paddle shift option too? Because quite a few describe it as an auto with "active shift paddles"..... Is the MC Shift different to this?

Pretty certain I want the MC Shift as I won't be doing town driving in it so won't wear the clutch out, plus it sounds like much more fun

Mr Ed

Thanks for the recommendation FC.

Welcome aboard Mr Ed, I would echo what's been said, try both and see which you prefer. Allsorts to discuss on the cars, feel free to call me if you wish to know what's what.

Thanks Dicky, be a few months before I'm actually in a position to buy as too busy with work and holiday's to sit down and concentrate but will bear you in mind come the time :)

bigbob

Hi Mr Ed, welcome! You are looking at exactly the right car. Go for a GTS and you'll have four fine seats and the best soundtrack on the planet. I've done a 2.5k mile 4-up Euro road-trip in mine and it was the best car I could imagine to have done it in. Test an auto and the MC / semi-automated box and make up your mind about which better suits your driving style. Dicky Grace is over your neck of the woods and has a solid reputation on here. If you're ever around west London then Nareman / Nuvola is also exceptional. For the right car be prepared to travel anyway.

Best of luck!

Sums it up. Three basic choices auto 4.7 (should have skyhook), MC 4.7 (standard without skyhook but many have it). Drive all three then start shopping!

Contigo

Sponsor
Get the MC Shift Mr Ed othwerwise you will regret it! Come drive mine if you want...

Andyk

A big warm welcome to the forum.....4.7 GT is a great choice as there isn't much out there for the sort of money they are going for that will give you the drama and that special feel like your Vanyage does.....agent your thoughts on the other cars.....AMG's are bonkers .... the Audi RS range has left me very cold every time I have driven one.... you'll get a lot of great advice on here to help you fine the perfect car and as above Richard Grace is a great place to start....

Lovely Vantage by the way....For me still one of if not the best looking cars you can buy even after all these years.

Mr Ed

Thanks Andy, I do love my Vantage. That pic was taken on last months holiday at the top of the Furka Pass in Switzerland. Look forward to having more space on next years holiday!

Sparkynw

Lovely Vantage! Good luck with the hunt I'm considering making the move from German stuff. Did the complementary half day AMG experience last year in a c63 and was left knowing I'd NEVER spend £60k on one! I sold my CLA45AMG after 6 months just didn't feel 'special' enough apart from the amazing engine. I need to drive some Masers...

Mr Ed

I did like that C63 507, and to be fair if I'd never owned my Vantage I'd probably have bought it. But as it's a weekend toy, it needs to be special, and speed is not the outright consideration with it.

Good luck with your hunt