GranTurismo S: How to remove coilovers and parking brake?

TheYoungconnoisseur

So car is apart on jacks, with no calipers connected and can't turn off the parking brake because apparently it needs line pressure to allow it to be deactivated? I need the rear rotors off so I need help there...

Also I need the coilovers off, have the top 4 bolts out and the bottom bolt out on the fronts and the skyhook cable disconnect but the unit is too long to be able to remove?? even flexing the control arms down an inch its no where near enough room to wiggle it out.

The rear i can't access the skyhook cable, must be thru the trunk but i couldn't feel or find anything thru that square panel box????

ideas???

thanks gents

AaronE

I haven't removed the rears, but I did replace the front coilovers. compressing them makes it easier. alternatively, you could disconnect the lower from the hub holder. I did this with a ratchet strap (and was seriously afraid of being near it):
a3c4174a59591cd7a709ee4b34581bbe.jpg

as for the EPB, can't you just turn the car on and deactivate it?

TheYoungconnoisseur

no, I've turned it on and it says depress brake pedal in any gear and with pedal to the floor (since no calipers are connected) it doesn't sense that the pedal has moved as no line pressure is established.

Heres is how I'm stuck... can't remove the upper arm because the inside bolts are blocked by the jammed coilover.....

523F2321-0504-43DA-9C45-41B0DD8C042E_zpsevuf8o9l.jpg~original

F656C3EF-D791-4689-8067-676498F686C0_zpspr8ds0ye.jpg~original

voicey

You've made a bit of a mess there. The upper arm needs to be unbolted from the chassis before the shock is unfastened.

Do you have the torque settings for re-assembly? Also make sure the arm bolts are tightened in the static load condition.

For the parking brake you need to command the ECU to put the motor into the service position before commencing work.

Mr K

There's a pdf manual out there covering the QP that should cover most of what you need. Search for "Quattropote Workshop manual.pdf". It won't cover the EPB. It does show you where the rear damper electical connectors are (behind the front-most boot lining, near the lower edges of the boot, just behind the fuel tank, i.e. nearer to you as you look from the rear). Pull a bit of string through when you remove the shock to make it easy to pull through the wire when you re-fit. I am assuming the GT is the same car as the QP in this respect - can't imagine why they'd change the location of the connector.

Obviously it would have been better to ask/RTFM before starting, but hopefully you can undo what you've done so far and get the upper front wishbone unbolted. The disks and calipers are left in place for this job, so had you done your homework you wouldn't have EPB questions. Not having a go, just putting the info out there for anyone reading this ahead of doing a similar job in future. This is not a how-to thread, more a how-not-to! I didn't bother creating a how-to because it's all in a freely available manual.

May be worth changing the lower shock bushes while they're out - the front ones particularly seem to become soft. That was the only bit I needed help with from a workshop when I replaced my springs last year, as I don't have a press.

Oh - I used a spring compressor borrowed from a friend. AaronE's ratchet strap method looks suicidal to me. There's massive energy stored up in a compressed car spring. Easily enough to cause a fatal head injury.

AaronE

I used a spring compressor borrowed from a friend. AaronE's ratchet strap method looks suicidal to me. There's massive energy stored up in a compressed car spring. Easily enough to cause a fatal head injury.
agreed. I was scared of the thing the whole time. I was sure to have it always parallel with myself and keep the ends from being near anything. do note that those little steel spring compressors are know to slide off/fail too, so be careful no matter what!

also, you're trying to get them *off* not on? missed that part. you can't just wedge a wrench in place on the inner bolt and turn the outer?

TheYoungconnoisseur

thanks for the replies guys. and yes, I'm trying to get it out to either put on H&R springs or make an airbag setup. and in the mean while coated the wheels, calipers, SS brake lines and going to do diff and trans fluids as well as make decat pipes. Figured do it all at once.

TheYoungconnoisseur

Alright I got it.

Huge debate for springs or go ahead and try and get an airbag setup made. I think I should toss some springs on it now and then doing the airbag setup when I v12 or manual swap it in a few mo.