222SE Oil light

Shaheenk

Hi Guys , wondering if you can help, I purchased a 222SE which is in very decent condition. I am based in South Africa so rust is not an issue. The car has been extensively redone by the previous owner from what I can see.

However I have an issue with the oil pressure light being on , the pressure gauge shows a healthy 5psi on idle when cold so I suspect this to be ok. Any idea on how much of an issue it is to change the switch ?

Shaheen

Wally

I'm not sure the pressure-switch also activates the warning-light. But the senser is no longer available or -Should you find one- extremely expensive.

HaydnW

As above, I don't think the two are operated by the same switch. Perhaps the pressure warning light has failed and reverted to being permanently on (by design) so that you know there's an issue, rather than it failing and giving no indication at all that there may be a problem.
I may be completely wrong about this, just basing it on the exact same situation I experienced with my old Alfa 164 Cloverleaf. Pressure was always fine, but light always on!

ZAM400209

The pressure sensor is a little cylinder, like a can, mounted on the front of the engine, on the OS (in right hand drive markets), low down. If you pull the single wire, your pressure indicator gauge should drop off completely.
The warning indicator is a separate sensor- I actually can't say off the top of my head where that is- but it effectively appears as a nut, with a faston M6 crimp-tab on the top.

Both sensors should be single wire, and reference to chassis ground. The low oil pressure sender is relatively inexpensive relative to the oil pressure sensor.

Shaheenk

Thanks , will have a look around and see if I can find it , I am sure I can find a sender unit for the pressure sender if that fails. Chances are.....this being an old Italian that the issue is most likely a wire which has come loose on the sensor.

If not will replace sensor with a toyota/bmw/generic part which is easy to come by.

As an aside.....how rare are right hand drive 222SE's ?

ZAM400209

sorry Shaheenk-

I sort of let you down a bit there; as I had the car out last night and could have easily got a picture of the relevant parts.

How rare?- at this age- very rare!

Can you get a picture up..?!

Shaheenk

Sure guys, I am just waiting for her to get back from the gearbox place, the inner bearings were shot and being in South Africa meant that I had to import everything. The Good part is I now have a spare Clutch fork , a spare 240mm clutch disc and a spare release bearing.

I also found a place to supply complete clutch kits for our cars at a fraction of euro spares and other online people.