Amateur 3200GT diagnostics

MRichards

Like all 3200GT's mine has the occasional CEL which flits around for a while then buggers off. Rather annoying ! I see that scantool-direct.co.uk are selling a Foxwell NT510 diagnostic tool loaded with software for ten Maserati including the 3200GT. It seems to me that for 169 quid including VAT & free UK delivery this tool would be quite handy for the average owner to track down the little glitches which plague our toy car. I am aware of all the criticisms of aftermarket diagnostiic tools but I'm sure technology has moved on considerably and a good diagnostic tool is possible in a miniature hand held device suitable for the car owner to detect possible faults.

Does anyone on here have first hand experience with this Foxwell NT510,part #NT510MAS from Scantool ? I'd like some feedback before I pay my money. In paricular,will it work on a year 2000 model with SD2 ? Thanks in anticipation.

conaero

Forum Owner
A question for Voicey I feel, but your car will need to be the later OBD2 compliant interface which was from 2001, being a 2000 model, just make sure your car definitely has the OBD2 socket under the dash, under the steering column:

R891J.jpg

davy83

Very interesting. It would be interesting to see if they support all of the SD2 functions? i seriously doubt it. it might be worth finding out just what functions they really have.

voicey

I've never come across that tool so can't comment. Do they have a coverage list? That's where I'd start.

Have you tried using Unidiag?

MRichards

The Unidiag device is commonly used here.

Which begs the question,has technology moved on in the last ten years to something better than a Colombian knock-off software ? I would strongly suggest that it has.

spkennyuk

I've never come across that tool so can't comment. Do they have a coverage list? That's where I'd start.

Have you tried using Unidiag?

Coverage list

Coverage:
QUATTROPORTE 2004-2009,
GranTurismo
GRANCABRIO-GRANTURISMO CONVERTIBLE
Alfa Romeo 8C
Coupe' SPYDER-GRANSPORT- GRANSPORT SPYDER
3200 GT
QUATTROPORTE (M156)
GHIBLI (M157)

Systems coverage (dependent on model):
Engine
Transmission
ABS
Body Modules
Suspension
Climate Control
Instruments

CatmanV2

The Unidiag device is commonly used here.

Which begs the question,has technology moved on in the last ten years to something better than a Colombian knock-off software ? I would strongly suggest that it has.

Only if someone has invested time and effort in moving it on. Which given the age and popularity of the cars I'd suggest equally strongly that it's unlikely.

C

highlander

Only if someone has invested time and effort in moving it on. Which given the age and popularity of the cars I'd suggest equally strongly that it's unlikely.

C
I never could get the unidiag stuff to work, although I have to admit more due to my IT ineptitude than a failing in the gear/system.

voicey

Given they don't boast about which modules are covered I strongly suspect that hardly any are.

davy83

I have got several of these to work, i have two handheld devices which work quite well and also dash command (works on my phone) and one other PC based but the functions are very limited, you can read most error codes and clear them, but not decode the Maserati specific ones. You can read the engine emissions sensors, the 02 engine speed, ignition advance and all that, but no functions on the suspension, or central locking, or alarm system these are all SD2 only. i suspect this device is the same it has basic functionality but none of the special stuff. so just buy a cheap reader off e-bay! or unidiag which is quite good.

MRichards

Thanks to all who replied,useful info. I checked yestertday & found I have the 3 pin SD2 connection,so The 16 pin connector on the Foxwell unit is of no use to me.

davy83

There is a thread some where on how to get regular ODBII stuff to work on the old connector system, if you are keen

MRichards

I bought the Foxwell unit & a SD2 to OBD11 Fiat/Lancia/Alfa cable & could not get communication.

IIRC someone on here said we need a Fiat/Lancia/Alfa cable with a V7 chip. Can that member please advise whether this would work & where I purchase one ?

supernova

can I see and know what kind of connections there are in the 3200?
My is October 2000. Would you send the photos?
Many thanks.

supernova

can I see and know what kind of connections there are in the 3200?
My is October 2000. Would you send the photos?
Many thanks.