BiTurbo's i am starting to hate mine

Shaheenk

So bought it about a month and half ago knowing of a bearing issue on the gearbox, so far I have bought (in extra parts)

1. Clutch plate (Eurospares 240mm)
2. Clutch Kit (Come Italy)
3. Extra release bearing (Auto-Italia)
4. 2 Clutch Forks (One new and one used)

We fitted the complete Come clutch kit which they supply to other maserati workshops and the pressure plate supplied is too tall (height wise) , this means going back to the removed pressure plate and a very very stiff clutch (No idea if this is normal) .

Does anyone know anything about these cars and why the variation on the pressure plate. Or has the slave cyl been swapped out at some point or perhaps the pin. The Gearbox went back in fine with the complete clutch kit, the only issue was the slave would then not seat back onto the gearbox.

Pic attached of new vs old pressure plate.

Oh and if anyone needs parts let me know , I am in the UK next week and will bring what I can to recoup some monies.

Shaheen
IMG-20170726-WA0009.jpg

HaydnW

Based on my experience so far in finding the right clutch kit for my 222 4V, I would say this kind of thing is inevitable. I now have what I think is the right kit for my car but this involved lots of head scratching and checking of part numbers! It seems there are a few variants available in terms of size: 215mm, 230mm, 235mm, and 240mm. Amongst those you have a few manufacturers, including Borg and Beck and Sachs. The kits aren't supposed to be interchangeable, but my 4V's clutch (that I have now changed) had a Sachs friction disk with Borg and Beck pressure plate and release bearing...

There's also the differences between the ZF and Getrag gearboxes, each of which have different clutch forks and slave cylinders.

If you provide details of your car I'm sure that I (or somebody else) can try to help you find the right kit.

Shaheenk

Car is a 1991 222SE , fitted with a 2.8liter 3V motor.

ZF gearbox and from what I can see a pressure plate from a Iveco Daily , the clutch plate which came out measured 240mm, according to COME they supply Eurospares this kit and have not had an issue for the past 5 years or something.

None of the part numbers on the pressure plate match up to anything , the local (South African) clutch guys said its the same as the Iveco.

The slave cyl seems to be an original part but again without knowing if the various ones have different mount points its hard to know for sure. The clutch is back in with the shorter pressure plate but the gearbox guys say that its proper hard to push down. It engages properly and stuff.

HaydnW

Hmmm I'm not really sure what to make of this, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. As I said above, it really doesn't help that there are several variations of size and manufacturer, which I'm told aren't meant to be interchangeable, and yet based on the clutch removed from my 4V they must be...!

As far as I can tell, the following eBay listing shows the correct parts for your car. Helpfully, it also includes the relevant part numbers for each part of the kit (see the description). The pressure plate looks identical to the picture of the plate you posted above (the one you removed from your car).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maserati-Bi...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After looking through lots of pictures of Biturbo and 222 clutches, I can't find a clutch pressure plate that matches the 'style' of the new one on the right of your photo. This makes me think they have made a mistake sending it to you.

Have you tried fitting the release bearing and friction plate from the Comesrl kit combined with the Eurospares 240mm pressure plate?

Shaheenk

Come are insistant the parts are interchangable. Gearbox place says the higher pressure plate touches on the bellhousing. From what I can see there should only be one bellhousing type.