Short term car ownership

philw696

The biggest depreciation I saw was on my 456 which I paid 25K for but from what the first owner paid in 98 for it I would love to have shaken his hand.

rivarama

Interesting

Did you buy from or sell to trade?
Also, what month did you buy in and then sell in.

Good point. I bought it from an indy at what I would describe market value in January and sold it private a tat under mkt value in Sept.

rivarama

The biggest depreciation I saw was on my 456 which I paid 25K for but from what the first owner paid in 98 for it I would love to have shaken his hand.

Ouch... Thats got to be a record. He would have wrapped it around a tree, i am not sure the financial hit would have been much worse

rivarama

Ouch... Thats got to be a record. He would have wrapped it around a tree, i am not sure the financial hit would have been much worse

rossyl

Good point. I bought it from an indy at what I would describe market value in January and sold it private a tat under mkt value in Sept.

I would describe both as "slow" months, January certainly worse as some odd people choose not to drink and therefore tend to have more sense than the spend money on sports cars ;)

Contigo

Sponsor
I'd like to think I'd not lost £5.5k on mine in 18 months but the reality is that I probably have.

bigbob

£700 depreciation a month on a relatively expensive car is not bad at all. My business partner has a theoretical loss of £10k on his new Disco that is only three months old (he paid £64k new and was offered £54k in part ex by the same dealer yesterday).

How is he coping with driving around with a paper bag on his head?

iainw

£700 depreciation a month on a relatively expensive car is not bad at all. My business partner has a theoretical loss of £10k on his new Disco that is only three months old (he paid £64k new and was offered £54k in part ex by the same dealer yesterday).

Looking at the paper work with my recently purchased GT-S, the previous owner bought it from a dealer 2 years ago. I have now bought it privately from him. In that time he drove 4k miles and, in depreciation only, lost about £20k.

Mine sold for 3k less than I paid for it after a year and 9,000 miles.
Admittedly I lost a little bit more as was SOR, but I probably did ok looking at those figures.
God knows what you would lose in 12 months on a well specced ghibli.

D Walker

Mine sold for 3k less than I paid for it after a year and 9,000 miles.
Admittedly I lost a little bit more as was SOR, but I probably did ok looking at those figures.
God knows what you would lose in 12 months on a well specced ghibli.

This in spades as I am looking for a neutral sweet spot, however don't think it will happen....

iainw

Agree. Its not an easy pill to swallow. I don't mind a bit of a loss when one has had fun with a car, and I don't regret buying the GTS a bit. I do regret selling it in may ways. I just don't want to go down the serial car changing path...which will add up plenty of losses.
I am just in a bad mood re: cars at the moment. It's in to replace a roof sensor and they gave me a white diesel ghibli as a courtesy car. :(

Ewan

I'd like to think I'd not lost £5.5k on mine in 18 months but the reality is that I probably have.

Having just done a load of research on 2009-12 MC-Shift cars, a well specced example with full history and approx 40k miles from about 2009 vintage sells from a dealer, with a warranty and plenty of clutch life, for approx £39k. Trade price is low thirties, private sale price mid thirties. Later, lower mileage cars are obviously worth a little more.

I made a list of all the cars currently for sale, with the above example being the combined average (having omitted the very least and most expensive car at each end of the list, to make the "mean" more realistic).

So, for insurance, most MC-Shift owners will want about £40k of cover so they could buy a replacement if the worst were to happen. But as a trade in value, think £5k or so less.

D Walker

Having just done a load of research on 2009-12 MC-Shift cars, a well specced example with full history and approx 40k miles from about 2009 vintage sells from a dealer, with a warranty and plenty of clutch life, for approx £39k. Trade price is low thirties, private sale price mid thirties. Later, lower mileage cars are obviously worth a little more.

I made a list of all the cars currently for sale, with the above example being the combined average (having omitted the very least and most expensive car at each end of the list, to make the "mean" more realistic).

So, for insurance, most MC-Shift owners will want about £40k of cover so they could buy a replacement if the worst were to happen. But as a trade in value, think £5k or so less.

Interesting, I've more or less done the same, just think the GTS is "too" much for my "wants / needs" i.e. high days and holidays, Good GS are getting harder too source, so like Mav I've been looking at Cayman S.. In Newcastle most of today and possibly tommorrow so I've ear marked a couple to go and look at while there.. If only Maserati did something new in the GS size.........

iainw

Worse places to be than a Ghibli diesel!

Phil. I am not so sure. I am really hating it. Can't manoeuvre it, horrific infotainment, no noise to speak of and the gear shift is literally comedy. It's like playing on a slot machine/ spinning a wheel and hoping you can get it to land on reverse somehow.

iainw

Interesting, I've more or less done the same, just think the GTS is "too" much for my "wants / needs" i.e. high days and holidays, Good GS are getting harder too source, so like Mav I've been looking at Cayman S.. In Newcastle most of today and possibly tommorrow so I've ear marked a couple to go and look at while there.. If only Maserati did something new in the GS size.........

Agree Dave - that would be the sweet spot. But would be 75k+

Rwc13

Phil. I am not so sure. I am really hating it. Can't manoeuvre it, horrific infotainment, no noise to speak of and the gear shift is literally comedy. It's like playing on a slot machine/ spinning a wheel and hoping you can get it to land on reverse somehow.

Car is virtually the same size as a GTS? Infotainment is better than your previous GTS, or current California or Evoke. And the gearshift just takes a little getting used to.........like an MC Shift gearbox! Somebody with dexterity of a surgeon surely shouldn't struggle with that? I sense more than a little "unconscious" bias here. What in your mind are you comparing it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iainw

Car is virtually the same size as a GTS? - maybe but it looks **** and I was used to manouvering the GTS. The Cali is much more compact and sporty and the Evoque has a higher seating position and reverse cameras

Infotainment is better than your previous GTS, or current California or Evoke - I completely disagree re Cali and Evoque infotainment. The Chrysler system is ****.

And the gearshift just takes a little getting used to.- total rubbish- it's random , and has been covered in many reviews on the ghibli . It's criminal it was allowed into production........

.like an MC Shift gearbox! - the MC shift paddle gearbox was fantastic

Somebody with dexterity of a surgeon surely shouldn't struggle with that- thanks for proving my point

I sense more than a little "unconscious" bias here. What in your mind are you comparing it to? - fair point , there are some good aspects to the ghibli ( the trident , it's comfortable and well made in the main). - it's just not what I want at the moment. I want my Ferrari back - and my drive is long and tight and the ghibli is a real pain to manouvre down it. Oh- and I hate white cars! If they had given me an Alfa QV it would have been a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Rwc13

Car is virtually the same size as a GTS? - maybe but it looks **** and I was used to manouvering the GTS. The Cali is much more compact and sporty and the Evoque has a higher seating position and reverse cameras

Infotainment is better than your previous GTS, or current California or Evoke - I completely disagree re Cali and Evoque infotainment. The Chrysler system is ****.

And the gearshift just takes a little getting used to.- total rubbish- it's random , and has been covered in many reviews on the ghibli . It's criminal it was allowed into production........

.like an MC Shift gearbox! - the MC shift paddle gearbox was fantastic

Somebody with dexterity of a surgeon surely shouldn't struggle with that- thanks for proving my point

I sense more than a little "unconscious" bias here. What in your mind are you comparing it to? - fair point , there are some good aspects to the ghibli ( the trident , it's comfortable and well made in the main). - it's just not what I want at the moment. I want my Ferrari back - and my drive is long and tight and the ghibli is a real pain to manouvre down it. Oh- and I hate white cars! If they had given me an Alfa QV it would have been a different story.

[/QUOTE]

What an utterly idiotic post. So basically you're slagging off the Ghibli because your upset your Ferrari is broke, and they gave you a loaner that is not a like for like with your California, is in the wrong colour, and that you haven't got used to yet.

And why would you come on a Maserati Forum and do that? This is not a Maserati GTS Forum by the way, it's a Forum for owners of all Maserati, including an increasing number of Ghibli owners. Think you need to have a word with yourself.