Short term car ownership

MrMickS

The Ghibli gearshift is a pain at times. It does take time to get used to it. It does still catch me out at times. It does require a gentle touch and to feel what it gives you.

What year is the loaner? If it's this year with the new infotainment system that's a little worrying.

The size of the car. Sorry but your embarrassing yourself here. It's the same as 5 series, or the GT, or the QP V, or an FF or GTC4 Lusso. I do remember Ferrari used to give out special Fiat 500s at one time. Perhaps that would be easier to handle.

iainw

What an utterly idiotic post. So basically you're slagging off the Ghibli because your upset your Ferrari is broke, and they gave you a loaner that is not a like for like with your California, is in the wrong colour, and that you haven't got used to yet.

And why would you come on a Maserati Forum and do that? This is not a Maserati GTS Forum by the way, it's a Forum for owners of all Maserati, including an increasing number of Ghibli owners. Think you need to have a word with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I am on a maserati forum as the maserati I owned, is the best car I have ever had and I miss it (like many current forum members who have sold and moved on). Secondly , the majority of forum members have been a font of knowledge and given great perspective on many areas. Aside for the odd bitter one who seem to be blindly staying with the brand without admitting what's happening to it. Most people try several cars to see the good and the bad- the very rare ones Cycle through the same brand, even changing only colour combinations . Each to his own.

It will probably be a temporary parting from maserati so I would like to keep in touch. As soon as the last purchase has died down (from a wife point of view) and if maserati haven't got their finger out, I will just get the best maserati ever built- as matt said- the strad. Just love them.

Ironically I have had more thumbs up in 2 days of driving the ghibli until I parked it up than I had in 6 weeks with the Ferrari. Says a lot about people.

I suggest they give out ghibli s courtesy cars - so I can at least hear an engine whilst my wife goes on about how comfortable and beautiful it is :D

Contigo

Sponsor
Phil. I am not so sure. I am really hating it. Can't manoeuvre it, horrific infotainment, no noise to speak of and the gear shift is literally comedy. It's like playing on a slot machine/ spinning a wheel and hoping you can get it to land on reverse somehow.

You will be glad to know that the Levante is exactly the same. The trigger you pull on the gear selector is identical and I missed R loads of times, also had the issue in Athol's Ghibli too. It does take some time to get it but it seems a real pita to me.

iainw

The Ghibli gearshift is a pain at times. It does take time to get used to it. It does still catch me out at times. It does require a gentle touch and to feel what it gives you.

What year is the loaner? If it's this year with the new infotainment system that's a little worrying.

The size of the car. Sorry but your embarrassing yourself here. It's the same as 5 series, or the GT, or the QP V, or an FF or GTC4 Lusso. I do remember Ferrari used to give out special Fiat 500s at one time. Perhaps that would be easier to handle.

Hi Mick- I think it's a 16- so not the new one!
The photos of the new one have actually grown on me.
Re size- I think that's he major problem. A fiat 500 or abarth would have been ideal for temporary pootling.
And - I think your 'soot' comment was accurate. subconciously the big problem I think is that it's a diesel.
I just miss the sound and engagement of the marque. Haven't really used the torque.
My first test drive 3 years ago in a trident was a fully specced ghibli S. couldn't afford it at the time and was just pretty blown away by the comfort and power. Scratched it going down my drive and probably the scars are still there!

My wife wouldn't complain if I had one that's for sure.

iainw

You will be glad to know that the Levante is exactly the same. The trigger you pull on the gear selector is identical and I missed R loads of times, also had the issue in Athol's Ghibli too. It does take some time to get it but it seems a real pita to me.

I agree Phil. I am not criticising for the sake of it. I really think it's an error of design and manufacture. It's not down to dexterity or getting the hang of it- there is definitely randomness involved. Which is pretty scary when choosing whether to move a 2 tonne piece of metal forwards or backwards.

Contigo

Sponsor
I like your idea about the Giulia, I'd be ringing them and asking them if there is any chance of a test drive at least!

iainw

Ps- Didn't realise the FF was the same size. That's counted out as a future purchase- combined with an awful side profile.
This really is whittling it down to a Strad- if only there was a way to get 100+ extra horsepower out of it- you wouldn't need anything else.

iainw

I like your idea about the Giulia, I'd be ringing them and asking them if there is any chance of a test drive at least!

Scared to Phil. There is no doubt that the most 'sensible' purchase in every way.
I did see a family with one at the local dick lovetts who were looking at 458s. I was having a sneaky look.
The Cali isn't broken - just in post service to get the screen washer bottle fixed (a nice waste of 300 pounds) and taking the opportunity to put a GTO grill on it. Finally going OEM with mods. And you will be pleased to know- no diamonds or alcantara in sight ;)

Rwc13

What an utterly idiotic post. So basically you're slagging off the Ghibli because your upset your Ferrari is broke, and they gave you a loaner that is not a like for like with your California, is in the wrong colour, and that you haven't got used to yet.

And why would you come on a Maserati Forum and do that? This is not a Maserati GTS Forum by the way, it's a Forum for owners of all Maserati, including an increasing number of Ghibli owners. Think you need to have a word with yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on a maserati forum as the maserati I owned, is the best car I have ever had and I miss it (like many current forum members who have sold and moved on). Secondly , the majority of forum members have been a font of knowledge and given great perspective on many areas. Aside for the odd bitter one who seem to be blindly staying with the brand without admitting what's happening to it. Most people try several cars to see the good and the bad- the very rare ones Cycle through the same brand, even changing only colour combinations . Each to his own.

It will probably be a temporary parting from maserati so I would like to keep in touch. As soon as the last purchase has died down (from a wife point of view) and if maserati haven't got their finger out, I will just get the best maserati ever built- as matt said- the strad. Just love them.

Ironically I have had more thumbs up in 2 days of driving the ghibli until I parked it up than I had in 6 weeks with the Ferrari. Says a lot about people.

I suggest they give out ghibli s courtesy cars - so I can at least hear an engine whilst my wife goes on about how comfortable and beautiful it is :D[/QUOTE]

Nice attempted deflect Ian, but I didn't challenge your right to be on a Maserati Forum, I challenged the idiotic basis of your negative post on the Ghibli you have been leant - first world problem by the way!

Apparently now it's comfortable, well built, admired by the public - where was this balance in your original post?

iainw

I suggest they give out ghibli s courtesy cars - so I can at least hear an engine whilst my wife goes on about how comfortable and beautiful it is :D

Nice attempted deflect Ian, but I didn't challenge your right to be on a Maserati Forum, I challenged the idiotic basis of your negative post on the Ghibli you have been leant - first world problem by the way!

Apparently now it's comfortable, well built, admired by the public - where was this balance in your original post?

I was just giving my opinion- and my last post I was commenting on the general public perception.
I still really really don't like the ghibli diesel and I think it's been disastrous for the maserati marque personally.
I understand why they did it- it just makes me sad they did.
If u remember rightly - in your words previously you said 'you look a dick in a Cali'
How balanced was that comment? Truly immature and innacurate. I think that's the last thing most people would think
When it drove past them- depending on how big theirs is of course.
The irony in all this is that my anger re the ghibli is because of what I have grown to think of the maserati marque. Nothing against the owners. Doug de muro says far worse, and he's paid for his thoughts.

Rwc13

I would say very balanced as I also said you'd look cooler in a Strad. And it looks like I was correct if you're getting more thumbs up even in a white diesel Ghibli than your California

Contigo

Sponsor
Maybe more admiring waves and less hatred or green eyes because everyone hates people who are winning at life it seems.

MrMickS

Doug de muro says far worse, and he's paid for his thoughts.

Yeah but Doug is both a) wrong and b) a dick :)

I quite understand your frustrations with the Ghibli. It wasn't until I'd driven it to Italy and back that I was really comfortable with the size and the gearshift. I do have the reversing camera as well, I'd hate to try and park one without it.

The thing that really got me to grips with the size was parking at two hotels in Italy. For the first I had a 50m driveway followed by a narrow 90 degree right turn with unforgiving walls. The front sensors were going off all the way along the driveway and the turn took years off me. The second was another small space to manoeuvre in with walls with paint scrapes on them either side to get into the parking space. After that I had it sorted. Crazily I'm going back in a week and will no doubt have other narrow roads to drive along.

If you think the diesel is bad wait for electric!

iainw

I would say very balanced as I also said you'd look cooler in a Strad. And it looks like I was correct if you're getting more thumbs up even in a white diesel Ghibli than your California

There is some logic in that. **** I love the strad.
Make it faster and slightly smaller maserati... pleeeaaassseeee

rossyl

This was one almighty thread diversion from my original question. Glad you two are friends again though, it's been emotional :)

iainw

Are you buying the yellow spyder in another thread? I think that's your short term ownership option!

rossyl

haha - yes, that exactly what i should buy if i want to buy something that would sell quickly.

I mean what sort of person would buy a yellow ... sorry MAF ;)