Non Starting Granturismo with 2400 miles

MaseratiTodd

I was asked by another forum that I should post this question on this forum as there are many members with great technical knowledge.... Thank you!

Any GT owners here want to chime in? Mine will not start/turn over. Has a new battery and immobilizer light goes off when key inserted, but turn the key and nothing. Checked all fuses and relays.... only has 2400 mi so its a bit frustrating. have an apt this next week but need to flatbed it to the dealer.... Any ideas or other things to check? Thanks!!

Contigo

Sponsor
Try a battery reset first.

open the drivers window and turn everything in the car off, disconnect battery and leave for about 10-15 mins, reconnect battery, turn the car on (don't start it), leave it for 5 mins then start the car

Does it try to crank? Any clicks on key turn? Or just dead?

conaero

Forum Owner
Do the lights and other electric items all work at full power?

As Phil says, has this happened since the battery change?

Check the battery terminals, there are usually piggyback wires that are bolted to the main positive clamp (well, on the 4200/GS there are) and they work loose.

One goes direct to the starter and I had a similar issue.

This could have worked its way loose during the battery change.

MaseratiTodd

So for those who have replied... here's a pic of the positive side of the battery. There are inline fuses on the mounting plate.... 40, 70, 100, 100. Everything is very tight. Since there is no information of 'battery' fuses in the manual, do one of these goes directly to the starter?

I do have full power to the fuse bank in the engineBattery.jpg

MaseratiTodd

Ok.... Battery reset didn't work..... everything is tight.... my next task is to evaluate those fuses on the battery + pad....

Any other thoughts? Thanks everyone!

outrun

The immobiliser light may be off but it sounds immobilised to me. I'd call a mobile auto-electrian out.

conaero

Forum Owner
Can you post up a vid of the dash clocks and ignition process as you attempt to start the car please.

rockits

Wouldn't the engine crank & turn but not fire if it was an immobiliser issue? Not familiar with the GT but that is how most systems I have seen on other brands work.

Although you have power to lights etc. what voltage do you get at the battery terminals? Maybe get a multimeter on to see the current voltage. You may have enough for lights but not enough for rest.

Long shot I know but it is a path and process of elimination.

rockits

Just checking the silly things.

Have you got it in park and have you got your foot on the brake. Do the brake lights come one as if not could be brake sensor issue. Does it show as in park.

Could be brake pedal sensor or handbrake park sensor or something if there is one of course.

Certainly check all fuses as well.

As Matt said a pic of the dash or video of key in then turn would help.

sofasurfer

Just checking the silly things.

Have you got it in park and have you got your foot on the brake. Do the brake lights come one as if not could be brake sensor issue. Does it show as in park.

Could be brake pedal sensor or handbrake park sensor or something if there is one of course.

Certainly check all fuses as well.

As Matt said a pic of the dash or video of key in then turn would help.

Don't know about everyone else's GT but mine starts without the brake pedal being depressed. First auto I've encountered that can do this. Was quite a surprise when it started.

rockits

Thinking about it my XC90 or SL500 doesn't either. I'm sure both my 4200 & QP so but I'll need to check as not 100% sure now.